Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

English coin writeups, collecting tips etc.

Has anyone on here ever wanted to write an article on their fave monarch, or on their fave series of English coins. Or Scottish or Irish, or Roman British, as long as it's from the UK it doesn't matter.

Some of you maybe aware that the owner of a coin discussion forum by the name of coinpeople has set up a UK area on that site for me to fill up with museum displays, collecting tips and hints or anything else of use. Now i'm currently working on some stuff myself but there are many areas of UK coinage that i have no experience with, but i know some of you guys have!

So if you want to write an article about English Conder tokens littered with pictures of your collection then feel free. If hammered pennies are more in your line then feel free.

I'm currently writing some short articles on English hammered and i'm doing it by monarch with a quick brief description of the context of the reign and any important changes to the coinage. Then i give a picture of one where i have one. Currently due to my hammered collection being rather small i haven't done very much at all!

Here's the hammered stuff i'm working on...

Plantagenet

Stephen

It's still a bit of a mess, i need to reference the historical sources i've nabbed info from and i need to get more pics and rearrange a few things and try and reword some other things to read more clearly.

Anyhow as you may appreciate it gives you a chance to show off your knowledge and your collection at the same time. Obviously if you did write an article you would probably post it on the site yourself and therefore you can credit yourself at the bottom. If it was say posted on here for me to put up over there then leave me details of how you would like to be credited.

I hope that we English coin collectors can as a community build up a valuable reference site with lots of pictures and loads of historical information and the like.

Anyone interested in contributing?

Comments

• Options
    Cool looking site, I'm going to check it out more later when I have time. I'd definately be interested in contributing something. The Monarch I'm most familiar with is Edward VI.
  • Options
    Ah excellent! Well numismatically i know next to nothing about Edward IV (until i read my North/Coincraft) so you'll be of great help there!

I'm currently reading a book on Edward V and his mystery disappearance. So i'm covering Henry VI - Henry VII historically and i'm going to be coming across alot of Edward IV history. I've studied Edward IV in relation to Henry VI before... i feel sorry for Henry VI!

I've studied Edward I - Richard II in some detail, and Edward IV's last years through to Charles I in even more depth. The gap in my knowledge is Henry IV - Edward IV.

Æthelred II - William II i can bluff my way through, i've studied these recently.

Henry I - Henry III is a cavernous abyss in my knowledge. I think i did a decent job with Stephen and John/Henry III to say i haven't really ever studied those kings in any great depth but i like King John so i know a bit about John, even if my write up may not incline you to think that way. With regards to Henry II there will be a reference to St. Thomas Beckett!

The hammered stuff will be done by monarch by me mostly but i'll accept further articles on certain coins or articles on certain monarchs in more depth than my own quite happily, it's nice to have two different angles on the same king/queen. Edward I - III pennies for instance would be a fanatastic example of a work by denomination, or one just on Long Cross or Short Cross pennies.

For the milled though i'd be very happy to let anyone else do that. (I've done sixpences), the general approach from what i can tell is that the milled section would be better done by denomination. (Someone's already jumped at the chance to do the halfpennies and i hadn't even asked for help back then!)

Who was it that collected everything George III? Well here is your chance should you wish! (not compulsery naturally).

There is no time limit on when i want this stuff, whenever you have the time and are feeling you have nothing else to do.
  • Options
    No, you misunderstood. Edward VI not IV. I'm more into the Tudor dynasty.

Athelred is the George III guy by the way. He has his own website on that.
  • Options
    Sorry didn't have my glasses on there! It looked like IV!

Yes Edward VI is good! Feel free, that's another area i'll gladly let someone else do.

I'm doing Mary though! image
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    Nice idea. Now, if I weren't so busy......I have an idea, though...maybe I'll flesh it out it the near future.

I'm sure that Wybrit lad could add a bit and a bob about a few monarchs.
  • Options
    Have you checked out Aethelred's website? He has some great historical tidbits you might treacle out of him with some scones and crumpets. image
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image