Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

My medieval English coins.

This is the medieval portion of my collection. Text

Comments

• Options
    Oh i'm jealous... Eadgar!!

I like the early Anglo Saxon coins the most... i'm still kicking myself for not buying the Eadwig when i had the chance (well it was too expensive for me but i could have reserved it and then i would have been able to buy it over a slightly longer period with no problems at all!)

It's at times like this when i think my collection has been dwarfed. But hey i see no Stephen so that's reassuring! image

I'm getting an Henry VI to fill in that monarch vacancy over the next few weeks, then i've got a dealer looking for a nice Edward VI for my collection.

Gotta upgrade my Phillip/Mary and my Elizabeth I coins too.

I think i might put my Early Milled sixpence collection on hold.
  • Options
    Nice collection.

I got a question on these. How come they did not have any better artist to make their dies? I have seen ancients with better craftmanship than most of the medievel Hammered stuff. Or was it their technology that held them back? Did their process limit their designs?
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    The designs delined after the fall of Rome as the Dark Age begins.

Basically simplistically put when Rome finally fell it was sacked by Vandals and Goths who had a lesser understanding of technology, they couldn't generally read, they burnt books and destroyed many of the Roman technology and achievements.

This was followed by several centuries of decline and the beginning in the 700s progress began to be made back towards what it had been but this progress was slow because of divisions throught each countries (England was divided into kingdoms again), the Romans had been a unifying factor. So the kingdoms fought each other... it took till the 900s to properly unify England, then there were Viking invaders, followed by Danes, followed by Normans... so until 1100 or so technology had been greatly hindered and progressed very slowly. It can be argued that the technology mastered and implememented by the Romans was not reached again until the Industrial revolution.

Reasons why the technology of the Romans failed to linger on after the fall of the Romans can perhaps be traced in the fact that Italy and Greece had slowly progressed towars that advanced state whilst many other areas in Europe were still fighting each other in clans and tribes.

The Roman Empire imposed these technological advancements upon the native populations of those countries and although the native population may have made use of them they did not fully understand them, when the Romans went the baths they had built at Bath continued in use in England but the Britons lacked the technological knowledge to maintain them so they gradually fell into disuse.

I guess it's much the same with the coinage, it was useful and they made use of it but when the Romans had left and stop supplying the goods to make the dies and then to make the coins there's not much that the moneyors could do.

So they made do with whatever they could find.

That's very very general, as it's not my area.
  • Options
    At the risk of hijacking this thread! image

My Hammered Collection

Several of them do look like they've been hit with hammers. It certainly looks like Python has outdone me on this one... i'm really gonna have to spend some time doing upgrades here.

Okay alot of time! image
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,126 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There should be a numismatic law against a collector owning two William I coins. image

Great coins Brett!

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    Not my area, but a wonderful collection ,,Congratsimage
  • Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    That is an incredible collection, Python image

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    Excellent collection!

Keep up the good work!
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Python, you've got a fantastic collection; I don't mind repeating myself here.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    Very nice image
    knowledge ........ share it
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    that is one terrific collection Python... it is very impressive. Several are excellent examples that are just outstanding.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Sylvestius, that's a very impressive collection. I really like that Stephen penny, one of the best I've seen.

Thanks for the comments everyone.image
  • Options

<< <i>Sylvestius, that's a very impressive collection. I really like that Stephen penny, one of the best I've seen.

Thanks for the comments everyone.image >>

Well when i get an upgrade on the Stephen, or just another Stephen i'll have to trade you for a William I! image

That's if i can bring myself to ever part with a Stephen coin.
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Brett, that is simply a stunning collection! Eadgars, two William The Conquerors, a William Rufus and dear God those coins from the Danelaw!image
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    That is an excellent collection indeed!! I particularly think your Edward the Confessor pieces are outstanding, as is the Henry VI Groat!
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    bosoxbosox Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭✭
    Very, very nice! image
    Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • Options
    Sylvestius, that Henry VI Noble is fantastic!! image
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Sylvestius, that Henry VI Noble is fantastic!! image >>

That is a great coin!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com