Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Shipping to Greece?

Please help. My Post Office refused to send an item to Greece because their reg's say coins are prohibited. I had it in one of those cardboard mailers inside a regular size letter envelope and explained to the clerk that is was a gift. No dice.

Can someone explain a work around, please? Thanks,

Gene
Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
My Ebay

Comments

• Options
    Call them numismatic items.
    Corrupting youth since 2004
  • Options
    Unfortunately, Greek Customs will sieze it and impound it forever.
    Don't bother trying, unless you want to risk losing it.
    Other methods may be construed as being illegal.
  • Options
    I usually put 'medals' for the description but I haven't tried sending anything to Greece. Maybe you should try sending a test package with a different description of the contents to see if it makes it.
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have sent about a dozen coins to Greece, many to Athens. I put 'numismatic item for collector' on the custgom form and never had a coin refused or not delivered.

Dimitri???

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    I have never had the slightest problem receiving registered or regular airmail enveloppes. They do not go through Customs. Theoretically, there's an 18% VAT on all items above $20, but this is rarely a problem, unless the item has been sent insured. And I certainly have never heard of confiscated items!

edited to add: Don's parcels have the record in fastest arrival time, three days average.
    Dimitri

DPOTD-1
  • Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭
    Well, I went to a different PO today (small place), filled out the little green form "numismatic item for collector", and clerk said "good to go". So it's gone. Should take 5 to 10 business days. Fingers are crossed!

Thanks for your input guys.

Gene
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    To confound our Postal idjits, spell it "numismatik"...... image

And, since you can't really insure for any siginificant amount anyway, I always put the "gift" and a value of $5.

I've also used the Global PMs and written 'PRINTED MATTER' on the description line, $2 value....then, take a sheet of paper and write, "PRINTED MATTER".....see, I never lie!!! image
  • Options
    <<"PRINTED MATTER".....>>

Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does it really matter?

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    danglendanglen Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭
    I have shipped many coins to Greece, usually via Registered Mail (but sometimes just using regular Air Mail). If the coins are in a #10 envelope, inside a Safe-T-Mailer, I don't even have to fill out a Customs Form. If they are sent Registered Mail, I just write "Numismatic Material" on the form. To my knowledge, the only item I ever lost going to Greece was a Isle of Man Currency Converter 60 Pence that I sent to Dimitri using regular Air Mail (which I replaced). Other than that, no problems.
    danglen

My Website

"Everything I have is for sale except for my wife and my dog....and I'm not sure about one of them."