Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Hurricane (baseball card) Party at my house!

Hello everyone....

I'm throwing my 3rd Hurricane party in the last 2 months.

This time it will be a special theme (baseball cards)

Cover charge will be any Pre-1970 PSA 8 or better baseball card.

On the serious side, this is getting old. After the 1st, I called my insurance agent about my cards and the coverage. I asked what did they need for proof if I had to file a claim. I told them, all my cards are on my computer software and would that be enough. They said "no, we must have proof of ownership, like pictures"...that's when I went ballistic! I said pictures of 1/2 million cards! you must be nuts! She said "why do have that many"...I laughed and said "why not". So after I calmed down, I asked if a video tape would do, she said "Yes, but it will need to be very specific and informative".."don't assume we know what you are saying or showing us, it needs to be like a documentary". So I went to Wallymart and purchased 12 VHSC blank tapes and went to work. I open the "shoe boxes" of each of my sets and pulled the high $ cards and showed them and then flipped through the rest. I then pulled out my best stuff and laid them out by Year/brand/player and really slowed down on those, zooming in and out on the grades...I almost felt like Steven Spielberg (sp). So after 5 or 6 hours and a lecture from my wife "I can't believe you bought all this stuff"...my masterpiece was finished!

I took all of my outdated/current Beckett's and the VHSC tape and placed them in my safty deposit box and prayed for it to miss us....well that was #2 and then Ivan gave us a scare...now #3! and I know I'll lose power and won't be able to snipe my auctions on Sunday. I just can't win!!!!! lol

Hope to be on hear again real soon!

Take care,
Mark
ebay (bbcards4me)

Comments

• Options
    AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
    What if the storm floods/destroys your video tapes? I think I would put the video tapes in the safety deposit box and maybe just the most recent Beckett guides.
    Good luck from a fellow East Coast board member. Last Hurricane that hit my area left me without power for 8 days. I missed plenty of eBay auctions that week.
    Stay safe,
    James
    I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
  • Options
    We just lost power due to something causing a transformer to blow. JEA sent somebody out within a couple hours, he fixed it, he left. Within 5 minutes it had blown again! I got in the car and chased him down. So he came back and fixed it again, for how long I dont know.. I've gotta go set my snipes for the next few days just in case! =)
  • Options
    James,

Read that last section again...I put the mags and video tapes into the safety deposit box!

I live in Seminole County...between Orlando and Daytona Beach. I can be at the beach in 20 minutes and Disney World in 30 minutes.

I'm Hanging on!!!!!

Mark
  • Options
    your not kidding, it is getting old. this one is gonna hit me dead on again, slap in Polk County. they did an overlay of where the other two hurricanes 'crossed paths' (one from the east and one from the west), and you guessed it, X marked the spot in Polk. like 35 minutes away from my house no less. fortunately, my house was built new (i've been in it for about 2 years) so it was built to the newest codes after hurricane Andrew. i've seen the damage from the other 2 hurricanes that came through here, and it's amazing sometimes how one house can look to be untouched, while another is missing a roof and has no windows less than a block away. good luck to all my fellow floridians and stay safe. here we go again!!

ERIC

on a lighter side, watch the movie IDENTITY with john cusack. in the part where they are talking about where they are from, and the one dude says Polk County, and the girl says, oh what part of Polk, he says Mulberry, and then she says Frostproof. Mulberry is the next city over, about 5 minutes away. and believe that everyone in Mulberry acts and talks just like that dude.
  • Options
    magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭
    Good luck to all of the Florida members here, you've been through a lot this fall/summer. I have relatives scattered all over FL, one niece lost her roof and truck to FRances.
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • Options
    Well I made it....went to bed about 11pm and tried to sleep but the wind/rain slammed my house all night. We finally lost power around 5am, so the wifey and I rolled out of bed and turned on the the radio for a weather update.

After a couple of hours in the candlelite, the power came back on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YEEEEEE_HAAAAA

The last 2 hurricanes, we lost power for at least 24hrs. So only to be without power for 3 hours was a small miracle.

Eric, I too have a new house. Ours was built last December, so I've been in it for only 10months but I was surprised to see zero damage. In our entire community of 350 homes less than 1 yr old the only damage was to landscaping (I lost my 10ft tall palm tree during Frances) and fences. A lady down the street from me had a piece of her fence fly through her bay window. So other than those minor problems my neighborhood stood up well.

But back to the BIG ISSUE.... now I can bid on the auctions I've been watching!

I hope the rest of my fellow Floridians have been as lucky as I was....

Take care,
    Mark
    ebay (bbcards4me)
  • Options
    just got my power back a couple of hours ago. this one was way worse than the other 2. it was horrible. power went out about 6 this morning and came back on about 7 tonight. i never lost it at all with the others, nor did i have any damage. this time i lost a section of fence, and one whole side (about 80 ft) is leaning. lost about 15-20 shingles, but only found 4 in my yard. it pulled my kilowatt box away from the house about inch, and threw the stock wheels and tires off my car all over the back yard (had them stacked in a corner against the house). two sides of the house need to be painted, i got chips from debris, and cracks in the paint from the house shifting and moving from the wind. just looking out my back windows, i can see 3 screened porches with no screen, and alot of other fences worse off than mine.
    i hope everyone made it out of this ok, i know my card buying will cease for a few weeks till i can get my house back together.

at least i got to see the roy jones and del la hoya (replay from PPV) fights last night before all this started!!

E
  • Options
    Wow!

Eric you must have got slammed!

The 1st (Charley) was really bad for us...power out for 16 hrs

Frances not as bad as Charley but a lot more rain!...Power out about 45 hrs.

And the last was more wind than rain, but to only lose power for 2-3 hrs was a miracle.

Sorry about the damage...hopefully the insurance can pay most of it!

Mark
  • Options
    Got you all beat, not that I'm happy about it.

I live in Lake Worth, FL. During Hurricance Frances, I had a 35' tree in my front yard uprooted and some damage to the fence around my yard. I disposed of most of the tree before Jeanne arrived.

I didn't fare too well this time.

Around midnight last night, I was on the phone with my mother, actually standing in my backyard during the worst part of the storm. It was an awesome sight to see, and I'm glad that I got to experience that part of the storm. When I went back to the house, I noticed that water had risen enough to make its way into my bedroom. I spent the next 10, 20, or 30 minutes (I lost track of time) trying to get as much off of the floor as possible. Within an hour or so, I had about 6" of water throughout my entire house. Not just water, either - raw sewage was backing up into the shower and flowed out into the house.

I gave up at about 2:30 this morning and went out to my workshop and slept on the sleeper sofa that I have there (this structure sits about 8 inches higher than my house, so no water got in).

I woke up this morning and the water had receded. The house was still very wet and I spent most of the day today removing all of the carpet from the house. I've still got one more room to do and there are puddles of water on the floors, a lot of wet debris, and some dead lizards and frogs.

As for the cards, I'm not sure of the extent of the damage yet. I had a lot of boxes stored under a bed in the spare bedroom and I tried to pull as many as I could out before the water got to them. Unfortunately, I couldn't reach all of them. My head was under water pulling some of this stuff out. Today, while removing the carpet, I found that the boxes that weren't saved were my entire football card collection from my childhood. Not really a big deal to me, the cards weren't in great shape. I also lost about 20,000 modern baseball and football cards. Again, not that big of a deal. I haven't looked at some of the boxes that were damp to see if there is more of a loss.

All in all, I would estimate $10,000 - $20,000 worth of damage. Unfortunately for me, I don't have flood insurance. I don't think my homeowner's insurance will cover any damage. I am going to check with FEMA tomorrow to see if there is any help available for me. Wish me luck!

So, I'll spend another night in the dark and the heat. I don't expect to see my power restored for at least a week, more likely 2-3 weeks from what I've heard. Hopefully, I'll be able to pick up another generator from one of my jobsites tomorrow, but I'm doubtful because so many are without power here.

JEB.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear about the damage!

On the good side, maybe Jeb will come and visit you! LOL...

Take care,
    Mark
  • Options
    Frances so far has been the worst for us here in Southeast Georgia, right now though we are geting 45 to 60 mile per hour wind gusts but little rain.
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    MARK - Glad you beat the storms w/ no damage to the cards.
    The videos are great for showing documentation of your collection/inventory. But don''t you also need receipts as well? ...jay
  • Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    Virtual,

tough break on the storm. i live in south florida (miami-dade) and we have been extremetly lucky, i havent even lost power once.

i bought a pelican case por my nicer cards, its waterproof and crush proof.

"Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    Jay,

The wife and I went to the local insurance office. They said they treat baseball cards like works of art. The insurance is for the value not what was paid. So that is why I stored some new/old Beckett in my saftey deposit box. Most of my better cards, I purchased many years ago, and could not afford them at todays cost.

The insurance I have for my cards are above and beyond the one for my homeowners policy.

It covers, theft, fire, water damage and acts of god!

It is for full replacement cost!

Take care,
    Mark
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    MARK Sounds Good!
    Hopefully you won't have any damage to be concerned about...jay
  • Options
    BBCO- this was by far the worst for me. i looked around my house after the others and i was clear, this one hit me hard. alot of the major damage around my area was a combination of all 3, stuff already weakened by the first and second that finally gave way. i probably have about 2-3k in total damages, not much compared to what others have lost, and my heart goes out to them. we as a people sometimes take the simple things for granted, but what really matters when you have no roof over your head? across from my work they have to tear down a whole plaza, about 15 shops and restaurants, because of a sinkhole that ate about 25% of it. its crazy right now. still no traffic lights in about 50% of the city, last i heard over 100k without power, and up to 60k will be without for 2 weeks or longer.

VIRTUAL-sorry to hear about your losses. definately try FEMA, and your homeowners policy should (?) cover hurricane damage. after Andrew the codes and laws were changed for Florida homeowners. but they are a shady bunch. i had a few friends get denied for claims after charley, because while it was a hurricane, by the time it hit them it was a tropical strorm, so hurricane coverage didn't apply. i wish you all the best luck in recovery (and every else hit by this). my joy for my small amount of damages is bittersweet because so many else are in need. i have to watch my wife's younger sister and her friend, who lost alot of her house, it has no roof at all. stuff like this puts a lot of things in perspective. GOOD LUCK to all!

ERIC