Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Calling Mr. Wondercoin.....2004 info/opinion needed

Since you are the Modern "wonder".....What do you think will be the toughest MS coins in 2004. I read some posts earlier this year where you describe a MS69 Sac. $1. Well now I know what you are talking about. I just got back one of my 2004d SAC's in 68 but imo it has MS70 luster but only 67-68 techs. The luster on the Sacagewa is simply amazing!! Your opinion is appreciated! Chris

Comments

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chris: I still stand by any earlier comments I may have made concerning 2004 "d" mint Sacs. Actually, since the Denver mint started making Sacs in year 2000, I believe just the (2) 2000(d) MS69 coins (which I personally slabbed) are the only (2) PCGS-MS69 regular issue coins ever graded for the entire series. Not surprising - I have handled the lions share of all 2001(d) and 2002(d) MS68's and I have yet to see a coin that I considered "strong shot MS69". In 2000(d), the only -2- coins I was confident were MS69's were the (2) that slabbed out that way. 03(d) Sacs are probably even tougher than 01(d) and 02(d) - so slim chance to locate an MS69 there. Yes, it is early still for 04(d) and the Denver mint could possibly improve its quality (just as it did with the production of state quarters this year), but, I still would be surprised if more than a few 04(d) Sacs achieved an MS69 at PCGS by year end. If none have graded MS69 by year end, that would not surprise me either.

Year 2000 and 2002 have proven especially difficult for MS69 Sacs from the Philly mint. I can understand 2000 - first year of issue and the mint was "new at it". Many coins I believe may have tarnished early on and it is highly unlikely PCGS will grade out an MS69 with discoloration. I believe 2001 was better quality overall and the numbers support that. 02 was a toughie, followed by 03. In 2004, it looks like the Philly mint may have gotten back to making very nice coins. While it is too early to confirm, I suspect 2004 could be a very good year for collectors to be able to procure an MS69 Sac at an affordable level.

I invite others to comment on their thoughts on the higher grade Sacs as well.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭✭
    What do you think will be the toughest MS coin(s) this year(2004)? Any opinions on the quarters? Nickels? Lincolns? The Wisconsin P quarters look very tough at this point. The P Peace 5c and D Keel Boat 5c also look to be tough in grades above 67. The Lincolns also look to be much tougher this year from my little part of the world. Thanks, Chris
  • Options
    Chris: I am still developing information on the other coins from 2004. Since I submit nearly -0- mint set or proof set coins to PCGS myself (and actually haven't ordered a mint set or proof set from the mint since 2002), my research (like a fine wine) takes time.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    The 2004-P half looks like it might be tough. The first wave of mint sets did seem to make much of a dent in the population.

the 9/4 pops
    2004-p 67/68 24/1
    2004-d 67/68 78/4

9/26 pops
    2004-p 67/68 25/1 + 1/0
    2004-d 67/68 132/14 + 54/10

Joe
  • Options
    Joe: It is looking that way on the half dollars. Frankly, the coins have been perhaps the toughest denomination to make in high grade with the exception of Jeff nickels for a handful of years now.

Even to this day, there has never been a single 2000(d) Kennedy grade MS68. Compare that to a "ton" of Lincolns, Roosies, State quarters and Sacs from that year. A few of the "d" mint issues from there have been super tough as well. This year, surprisingly, it is the "p" mint that looks tough? I wish I knew exactly why (and how) these mints can shift from year to year and create a "ton" of high grade coins one year and very few the next? For example, in the entire 1999-2003 run of state quarter production, PCGS graded just -1- Denver mint state quarter in MS69 grade (MASS) and hundreds of Philly mint coins MS69 scattered throughout the series. This year, you have several dozen Denver mint MS69 coins already and -0- Philly mint? What is going on there? Yet, the reverse appears to be the case in the way of 2004 Sacs (Denver mint still producing far fewer high grade slabbed coins).

One thing for sure - you better believe the lack of a single MS68 2000(d) Kennedy is not due to lack of trying. The coin would be instantly worth multi-thousands of dollars I believe and you would have at least (2) Kennedy Registry collectors standing in line to buy the coin, myself included.

Wondercoin