Home PSA Set Registry Forum

1973 Topps PSA 8 #473 - $316

As many of you know, I sold off my 69 baseball and football set earlier this year, and now I'm in the process of selling off my 73 set. That's over 1,000 PSA graded cards sold in the last few months, a lot on ebay. Last night's auction (lot #5125060361) was the strangest I've seen. #473 is not a low pop by most standards, and the 73's are not overly popular, though it's appearance on ebay is infrequent, kind of like a 69 Lou Brock. The last two PSA 9 #473's sold for over $200. I paid $10 for the card 2 years ago, and had it listed with a $19.99 BIN. Looking at the bid history, you can see three people bid over $275, so if you want to make a little cash, get your 1973 PSA 8 #473 on ebay soon.
Dave
1973 Topps PSA 9's+(retired)
1986 Topps PSA Perfect(active)
1997 Flair Legacy's(active)

Comments

• WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    nice job
    Good for you.
  • dave- nice sale, i know that steve wolfe is one of the few guys seriously persuing the 73 set in 8 or better. having said that, i was still surprised to see it go that high but sometimes you win and sometimes you lose...this time you won BIG!! enjoy.....jim
  • Jim:

There are several guys still pursing the 73 set hard: Scott Wetzel's been done for a while, Brian Moellering and Derek Irwin still dabble on upgrades, though I think all three will be looking to evetually sell their sets. Steve Wolfe's almost done. Bruce Budris (reverse the curse), Gene Magocsi (phast1), and Brian Long (psuinnyc) are all heavily pursing 9's (and Brian 10's). Doug Diggs (digdug08) is pursuing 8's and 9's. Then there are at least 6 guys going after the 8's. I may have missed a couple guys. It's nice selling off a set and getting to talk to all the people you "competed" with in building the set along the way.
    Dave
  • qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    DAVE - The odd thing was that the 1st bidder almost bid the $19.99 Buy It Now, and tried to win it for a buck less. You should thank him for trying to save a buck, it netted you $300 more. Auction Bids
    Good job!!!...jay
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    i saw that too i then thought i bet that guy is kicking himself in the butt now
    Good for you.
  • jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    Most BIN's aren't much of a bargain, but there are some anomalies in card values ... where SMR or Beckett is so far off base as to be meaningless ... If you know what those are and keep an eagle eye out for BIN's on those cards, and snatch 'em before the other smart guys do, those are the moments worth living for.
  • When trying to sell off a whole set (and not being a professional trying to make a living at it), BIN's can be very useful, especially when you know what you paid for a card and check ebay to see what the other sales have gone for. If you have a heavily traded card, and all three have sold for $45-58, why BIN it at $75? Try for $55 and most buyers are happy to not have to wait the week to save a buck or two, and as a seller, you don't end up at $40.

I would have been happy if the Aaron sold by BIN at $19.99, obviously not knowing it could have sold for $316, but doubled my $10 buying price.
    Dave