Home Sports Talk
Options

Greatest Linebacker Ever...............

Who is it in your opinion? Mine is Lawrence Taylor, based on how his skills changed the perception of a linebacker in the modern era. For raw guts and blood, I would have Butkis. Who do you want and why?
"A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...

Comments

• Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    A bit of Tampa bias, but I'd want Derrick Brooks. He's always around the ball....is so smart on the field....leadership abilities are amazing. In addition, his off-the-field contributions to the Tampa community are a refreshing breath of air, compared to the countless stories of 'pro athletes gone wild' (unfortunately those types of stories don't receive much attention). Last week he signed on to donate $1000 for every tackle in the game against Seattle for hurricane relief (he ended the game with 10 tackles).
  • Options
    LT no doubt is one of the greatest players ever. But he wasn't a traditional linebacker. He was basicly allowed to line up anywhere he wanted. Was on the D line most of the time.

I'll take Butkus.
    Collecting PSA and BGS 500 HR & 3000 Hit Club Baseball
    HOF Quarterbacks Football
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    Brian Bosworth image

I agree with Vikes statement ... but, Ray Lewis could eventually become the greatest - he is up there now in the top 5

collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    ray lewis...........
  • Options
    murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
  • Options
    LT is the best defesive player ever,regardless of position
  • Options
    LT
    mike singletary
    ray lewis
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    The best linebacker that I have seen is Jack Lambert. Agreeing with vikesfan40, and calling Taylor a "hybrid", I would say he is the best defensive player I have seen and along with Deion Sanders influenced an opponents game plan more than any other player.

Originally, Taylor was a traditional linebacker but according to Parcells when he was supposed to be in coverage he might blitz the quarterback anyway, come up with a sack and the Giants would have to change the defensive playbook to put in the play that Taylor just created.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    harry carson

Good for you.
  • Options
    1. Hollywood Henderson - the original blitzing linebacker who also returned punts and kickoffs

2. LT - revolutionized the OLB position
    3. Butkus - the best MLB - PERIOD
    4. Ray Lewis - the fastest and most feared defensive player of his generation

• Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Ray Lewis is a monster - the most feared player of this generation. He's still playing though, which makes it tough to call him the greatest ever...

My vote goes to LT. On the field, he was tremendous. Off the field was another story.