Home Sports Talk
Options

Interesting but lesser known former baseball players

Out of curiosity, I did a search on Babe Herman. I had heard the name over the years but didn't know anything about him. What I learned was pretty interesting. Are there any other "lesser known" former players that would be interesting to read about?
Wise men learn more from fools than fools learn from the wise.

Comments

• Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    josh gibbs negro league catcher. maybe the best catcher ever.
  • Options

<< <i>josh gibbs negro league catcher. maybe the best catcher ever. >>

I totally agree. Josh Gibson

Also, his signature is worth a fortune!

Brian
  • Options
    Excuse me gents....I guess I may be showing my age. Anyone who is even a little bit of a "baseball historian" knows that Josh Gibson is recognized as probably the greatest player ever from the Negro Leagues. Thus, not "lesser known" but more accurately lesser honored. He was a monster of a player, no doubt.

To the boredom of some, I think that Ron Guidry is BOTH a lesser known and lesser honored baseball player. Regards.
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options
    Babe Herman's batting stats look good by today's standards, but he plied his trade in an era of inflated batting stats. Also, he is celebrated as one of the poorest fielders of all time. Evidently he "pulled a Canseco" on a number of occasions, although he later claimed that the balls bounced off his shoulder, not his head. Check out his fielding percentages as an outfielder!

Oscar Charleston is a player I only recently learned about. Most people are familar with Negro Leagers Gibson and Paige, even Cool Papa Bell, but there are many who testify that Charleston is the best who ever played the game.
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    Mo Berg
  • Options
    Berg is interesting. Was he a commie or not?

• Options
    >>Berg is interesting. Was he a commie or not?<<

No - he was a spy FOR the United States.
    Wise men learn more from fools than fools learn from the wise.

• Options
    Jersey - you are correct. The guy was brilliant. He had a law degree, was a much accomplished multi-linguist, an intellegence officer for the US AND a baseball player. Cripes! That's interesting. Regards.