Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

My first foreign coin, that I actually like..

I was going through some coins today at my local coin shop, he had just purchased a small box of foreign coins... asked me if I had ever seen an M. Theresia coin, my reply being no, since I only collect U.S. coins... Long story short, I fell for this coin, it's absolutely gorgeous, especially the reverse design... He told me that he believes that this one was remade sometime before 1900's or so, seeing as how it is not perfectly round, and was probably minted before the higher technology came about, for minting coins.... Is there anyway to guesstimate about what time period this coin was re-made??? I mean, to a deffinate date? Or is that something that I will probably never find out.
Real MEN collect currency!

Comments

• Options
    1780 Thalers have been restruck continuously since 1780 and are still being restruck today.

That coin could be 100 years old or 10 years old.
  • Options
    Well, I found a really good site that gives a somewhat " detailed" and believe me, stretching the whole detailed thing, about differant marks that show what time preiods the coin was made the only thing that I don't get.... Is the saltire looks like the one made in 1830, while the arabesques look like the ones made in London from 1936 - 61 .
  • Options
    I assume you found JD's World.
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • Options

imageimage

Get it out of that flip, though. Looks like a PVC flip.
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    They make both Safe-Flips and PVC flips with that edge, if the flip is soft get it outta there!image
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    lol no, it's a brand new flip imageimage I'm a collector of U.S. coins for some time now, I know that pvc is the enemy image , and yeah, It was jd's site that I was lookin at
  • Options
    Welcome to the Dark Side, Pennycase!! image
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image