Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Best Recent Vintage Raw Cards Graded "9"

Here's the question. What is the best vintage sports card (pre 1974) that you have purchased raw at a card show, card shop, or online in the last 3-4 years and that you have submitted for grading and received a Mint 9 grade? Perhaps this will answer the question: Are there still vintage cards out there that can be purchased raw and are worthy of a Mint 9 grade? My personal recent favorites are a 1970 Yaz, 1970 Kaline, 1968 F. Robinson, and some 1965 commons.

Comments

• More that a few '68s -- they are out there. My favorite wasn't MINT, but a solid NM/MT '60 Musial from the local card shop.
    Dr S. of the Dead Donkeys MC
  • A whole bunch of 73s I got from a lot at a Superior Auction in '99. The lot came with 1300 raw commons in NRMT/MINT condition. I was happy to get a bunch of 9s from the group.

I recently went into a local shop who has a part-time owner that's only in the shop on certain days. I happened to mention that I'm a big fan of "older" cards. He pulled out an album of some really nice 57s and 58s. I bought a few and though they didn't grade 9, they came back as solid 8s.

• << <i>Are there still vintage cards out there that can be purchased raw and are worthy of a Mint 9 grade? >>

definitely..
  • I submitted a 1965 Willie Mays, purchased from a local shop before they went under, for about $100. It came back an 8. I was pretty happy about that.
    I also submitted a raw 1977 Disk of Johnny Bench, purchased on the bay for a few bucks. It came back a 10. Even though not pre-1974, it was my first submitted 10.
    Ted Williams, Willie Mays, Tom Seaver, Mike Schmidt, George Brett, Bob Gibson, Lou Brock player collector
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1961 Jim Bunning purchased at this year's National. I've received many 9's and 10's on pre-'74 raw cards purchased in recent years including:

'73 Mays (9), Schmidt RC (9), Ryan (9), Seaver (9), Aaron (9)
    '72 Concepcion (10), Durocher (10), Martin IA (10), Seaver (9), Killebrew (9), Munson (9)
    '61 Al's Aces (9)
    '64 LaRussa RC (9)
    Many 8's including a '56 Killebrew
  • I have purchased thousands of pre-1973
    vintage hockey cards that have graded
    8, 9, and 10. There are many raw vintage
    hockey cards and sets in private collections
    that are in pristine shape.

On the baseball front, I've been having some
    fun buying 1969-1975 opc baseball packs/boxes, and
    getting a lot of PSA 8 and 9 cards from them.
    Oh yeah, and PLENTY of o/c cards as well.
    My favorite pull has been a 1 of 2
    Willie Mays PSA 9 from 1973 o-pee-chee. I saw Willie hit his
    last home run at Shea Stadium as a Met, and always
    remember this card as being one of my favorites.
  • SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭
    I recently bought a big lot of '59 topps graded EX that had a few cards that should grade 9's.

It's too bad doc (bauerfan) doesn't post here anymore. It appears that he's had a pretty good run, to say the least.
  • A couple of years ago, I bought a 1967 Topps Mickey Mantle for $250 at one of DC's biggest card shows. I thought it might have been trimmed it was so nice looking. It came back a PSA 9 and I sold it for $3,500. Since then, prices for 67 Mantles have come down, but that clearly represents my best "find"

Don
  • yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    A '68-69 OPC Rod Gilbert that became a PSA 9 was my best raw purchase. Bought it on eBay for under $20 and ended up selling it for $200-250, which is probably about half of what I could got for it if my timing had been a little better. That set really caught fire just a couple of months after I sold my modest collection. It's kinda cooled down since, though the competition between the top 2 registrants is pretty fierce.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    I bought this 1971 Dell Stamp raw on eBay for a buck or two this summer. Now it's the highest graded example.

• A 1959 Topps #478 Roberto Clemente on Ebay for $146 that is now a PSA 9.
  • pcpc Posts: 743
    1966 tommy john psa 10
    spent 20 bucks
    Money is your ticket to freedom.
  • I have been buying raw 1973 topps baseball (sets,lots,ect.) off ebay over the last 3 or so years and out of about 15,000 cards I have built almost (4) nm-mint / mint sets. My plan is to at sometime submit a complete set to be graded. But I renewed my subscription this month and pulled 10 cards from one of the sets (a few of them the tougher ones) and submitted them. Well they just posted the grades today.
    Sub# 4221697 zip 18326 The Fryman card #146 is the first 9 graded ( at least as of today) and the turn around time was very fast.