Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

How well do common ancients sell?

I've got about 25 or 30 atleast half of which have already been attributed and look decent. The other half are either dirt or I can't attribute them cause I have no idea what they are.
Scott Hopkins
-YN Currently Collecting & Researching Colonial World Coins, Especially Spanish Coins, With a Great Interest in WWII Militaria.

My Ebay!

Comments

• Options
    From my experience, common roman bronzes (i'm thinking 3rd-early 5th century) in Very Good or below are kinda hard sells. If you
    have a coin where you can trumpet up the fact that it has really nice detail still intact, you're chances to get a decent bid go much higher.
    But even for better emperors, a worn bronze will get lousy bids-- at least in MY case! F'r'instance I listed a heavily worn Commodus sesterius (granted a smaller size one) multiple times at $3 opening bid. Never a bid. I've listed a very worn Ceasar Augustus middle bronze
    starting anywhere from $3-$5 SIX times and not a single bid.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eye-appeal is very important in ancients. Most of the cheap ones don't have it and won't bring much money now or in the future. Because of their poor artistic qualities the later Roman issues are unlikely to ever gain much of a following.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    So I should probably sell them all as a group then.
    Scott Hopkins
    -YN Currently Collecting & Researching Colonial World Coins, Especially Spanish Coins, With a Great Interest in WWII Militaria.

My Ebay!
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    Do have any with a decent Lion on themimage
  • Options
    Nope.
    Scott Hopkins

My Ebay!
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    What do you have?
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    Pretty much junk, but i'll post a list together, there all Roman emperors, some that are quite common, but I have a few that are considered quite rare, I don't know if there worth anything, but are rare. Would you like me to list them for you?
    Scott Hopkins

My Ebay!
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Yes, and if you could post some photos that would also be nice!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    Here's a few, one's I can't attribute.
    Scott Hopkins

My Ebay!
  • Options
    These are the rest, probably out of order, but 1 obverse matches 1 reverse and so on. A few wouldn't load though. I'll have the names of the emporers later.
    Scott Hopkins

My Ebay!