Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Barry Bonds?

I purchased a Barry Bonds card the other day for 125.00. Its in a case and graded by a company called Gem grading Inc. The problem is that I have tried to verify the cert# through www.gemgrading.net and no response to my e-mails. There is no phone number listed. I know nothing about cards but I saw him hit #700 and I knew enough to buy the card.Help. Any advice the card is rated a 10 and it is U-14

Comments

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Sean
    Welcome!
    Who did you buy the card from?
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    An antique store. It was in a glass case in between a bunch of other stuff. I can kick myself for not buying the other for 88.00 dollars but when she suggested that she call her husband because of some questions I had I said oh no thats ok,I paid,I left.
  • Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    poat a scan of the card if you could? at least this way we can see if its a 10 or at least near a 10. and be careful you didnt buy a trimmed card.
  • Options
    Ok let me see if I can figure out this scan thing
  • Options

<< <i>Ok let me see if I can figure out this scan thing >>

Sean
    If you have a problem with the scan, email it to my address below and I will put it up for you.
    Another suggestion - get a ruler and measure the card and tell us what you get.
    your friend
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
  • Options
    E-mail on its way...Meas-just shy of 3 1/2 in length and 2 1/2 in width
  • Options
    Are you still there? I think I took to long sending it to Stone
  • Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    no stone will always help out. hell be back.
  • Options
    Thank You I tried to attach it to this but it says file to big
  • Options
    Sorry guys
    I had trouble with my internet tonite - here is the host.

Was this scanned? If so, when scanning to keep it from being so large, before "Accepting it" go to the
    "Resize" on the right side and decrease to like 30-40%.

your friend
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭
    If the antique store will take returns, just return it. If you paid with a credit card, charge it back and then return it if you can.

If you want to check for trimming, use a ruler that will measure to at least 1/32nd of an inch and measure the card horizontally and vertically in three places to check for consistency. Trimmers have a hard time maintaining a perfectly straight cut, but an '86 fleer update should have a straight cut if it's unaltered.

You can get a good PSA 9 for ~$50. If the card were any better than that, it would most likely be in a PSA/BGS holder. Do a search on ebay and you'll see that gem grades almost everything a 10.
  • Options
    OK SO ARE YOU SAYING THIS IS NOT A GOOD CARD AND TO TAKE IT BACK. THE MEASUREMENTS SEEM TO BE AS STRAIGHT AS THEY COME. ANYBODY HEARD OF GEMGRADING.NET????
  • Options
    Give it to you straight?
    Gem is a bad company...will grade anything...trimmed cards, fakes whatever! Not to be trusted IMO.
    I agree, if you can return it do so. Even if it is the proper length, it may be a counterfeit?
    Just my 2 cents
    your friend
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    I SENT A SMALLER VERSION HOPE IT HELPS
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    for 125 you got taken, actually for 75 you would of gotten taken. Even though the scan really doesn't
    tell us anything, even if you got this card regraded (by BGS for around 30 bucks), you would have to pull a 9.5
    gem mint to even begin to think about getting your money back.

The card may be nice, but not worth raw 125 and certainly not worth 125 in that holder. Gem isn't
    respected. Sorry

JS
  • Options

<< <i>I SENT A SMALLER VERSION HOPE IT HELPS >>

Sean
    A suggestion...when you scan...there are these boxes you right click on and "crop" the picture so you are not saving dead space on the scan. You know what I mean?
    your friend
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭

<< <i>for 125 you got taken, actually for 75 you would of gotten taken. >>

That's being kind, actually. The card is essentially worthless now...no doubt it was altered before going into that holder. Even if it wasn't, the holder itself implies an altered card to a knowledgeable collector - that store should be ashamed to charge $125.00 for it.
  • Options
    SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭
    Here are the recent sales for that card in a gem elite 10 holder.

You could always get lucky and be the guy that drew the $150 bid, but I'd recommend returning it.

BTW, it would take a scan of the back to even guess at the cards' condition, but we really can't tell from a scan. Professional graders look at cards under a 10X lens.

The card might not be trimmed - it might just be a high end 8 that has little or no wear to the naked eye. If there's a dealer in your area, he could give you a better idea of the cards' condition and whether it's been altered, but please return it if you can.
  • Options
    Thank you to everyone off to the coin and stamp store tom for verification. Since they are not respected in the grading world maybe someone other than myself would like this info??? image~~~~~~~~~

Domain Name.......... gemgrading.net
    Creation Date........ 2001-08-30
    Registration Date.... 2001-08-30
    Expiry Date.......... 2005-08-30
    Organisation Name.... GemGrading
    Organisation Address. 8406 Normandy Dr
    Organisation Address.
    Organisation Address. Mt Laurel
    Organisation Address. 08054
    Organisation Address. NJ
    Organisation Address. UNITED STATES

Admin Name........... Ara Arzoumanian
    Admin Address........ 8406 Normandy Dr
    Admin Address........
    Admin Address........ Mt Laurel
    Admin Address........ 08054
    Admin Address........ NJ
    Admin Address........ UNITED STATES
    Admin Email.......... beanie2549@aol.com
    Admin Phone.......... 856-787-0404
    Admin Fax............

Tech Name............ Domain-It Hostmaster
    Tech Address......... 9525 Kenwood Road
    Tech Address......... Suite 328
    Tech Address......... Cincinnati
    Tech Address......... 45242-6176
    Tech Address......... Ohio
    Tech Address......... UNITED STATES
    Tech Email........... hostmaster@domainit.com
    Tech Phone........... +1 513 351 4222
    Tech Fax............. +1 513 351 8222
    Name Server.......... ns1.domainit.com
    Name Server.......... ns2.domainit.com
    TextTextimage
  • Options
    So BGS grading is great?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=55870&item=5124629219&rd=1&ssPageName=WD Price: US $1,095.00

Time left: 4 days 5 hours
    10-day listing
    Ends Sep-28-04 06:54:07 PDT
    Start time: Sep-18-04 06:54:07 PDT
    Quantity: 2 available
    History: Purchases
    Item location: Tampa
    United States

Ships to: United States, Canada
    Shipping costs: Check item description and payment instructions or contact seller for details
    Shipping and payment details

Seller information
    sandlotauctions ( 1868)
    Feedback Score: 1868
    Positive Feedback: 99.7%
    Member since Sep-11-00 in United States

1986 86 Fleer Update Barry Bonds BGS 9.5 GEM ROOKIE

You are bidding on a 1986 Fleer Update Barry Bonds BGS 9.5 Rookie card. Subgrades 9.5,9.5,9,9.5. Please check our other fixed price auctions for more of Barry's rookies. Take stock in the man who will eclipse Babe Ruth soon and Hank Aaron later to become the all time Home Run Champion! There is no arguing that Barry is the most feared hitter of our lifetime!

Check out all of our auctions and thanks for stopping by! We at Sandlot Collectibles are dedicated to your happiness and satisfaction with all of our great collectible items. We hope you are able to find everything you are looking for in sports collectibles right here!! Paypal Accepted!!!

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    the time to buy cards of bonds was years ago
    Good for you.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Steve is correct - it's not as if any of these cards are especially scarce, and it is possible that there is little if any upside to them at this point. At least not for a long, long time anyway...
  • Options

<< <i>the time to buy cards of bonds was years ago >>

Sean
    I agree with Winpitcher. If you are looking for the Bonds card just to collect, I would try to return the one you got and shop around on ebay for a PSA/GAI/SGC top grade. If you are doing it for investment, I think the Barry Bonds 'gravy' train is long gone IMO. image

your friend
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    Its interesting how the hype of hitting #700 brings all these curious new collectors. I understand what's going on, but there are too many unscrupulous dealers out there waiting to prey on these unsuspecting buyers. Sure, everyone should do their homework and the dealer in this case did not twist an arm to make a sale.

Sean, do return the card for a full refund. If you really wanted a Barry Bonds rookie card, you can pay a lot less for most likely a better quality card, such as a PSA 9 and there would be no question as to the authenticity.

The card did reach its high point when Bonds hit #700, but now it could only go down again. Wait till January or February to buy it.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭
    seansmom,
    Like most newbies, you buy first and ask questions later.........and usually what's learned is that you overspent. If you think I'm dissing you, I'm also included on the vast list of newbie overspenders.

BOTR
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    Sean (or are you Sean's mom?) -- I'm sorry you got ripped off, and I hope the store will give you a refund. Don't feel too bad, most people who enter the strange world of graded cards get hosed at first, until they learn the ropes. I sure did, and I'm a collector -- even a dealer -- from way back.

This alphabet soup of grading companies ... PSA, GAI, SGC, BGS, PRO, GEM, AAA ... it's pretty bewildering at first, and you might think they're all the same so why not buy the cheapest? Big mistake, especially if you ever want to resell the card. For resale value, buy PSA. Other respectable graders are SGC and GAI, and to a lesser extent, BGS. The last one is a bit dodgy with standards and having a rep for missing trimmed cards, but at least you know you can resell BGS to the vast Beckett nation. Best bet overall is PSA (and you can register your cards online).

By the way, I have an extra PSA 9 of that 1986 Bonds Fleer Update. It's better than that GEM 10, it's the real thing, and it has not been altered with a razor like that one. You can have it for $50 plus a couple bucks for shipping. If you haven't found your own yet, send me a PM (click on the yellow lock thing on the upper right of this post). Or shop on eBay. In the last month they have been selling in a range from about $50 to a high of $150. That one was a bit fluky, I think, but there are some $70+ sales in there. Just make sure it's really PSA 9 when you bid, because some people put PSA in the title when it's not.
  • Options

<< <i>Thank you to everyone off to the coin and stamp store tom for verification. >>

So what happened?
    did they take it back?
    and refund your money?

let us know!!!

imageimage
  • Options
    BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭
    BK,
    Your sig line pics made me realize that I'd much rather have Herman in the Oval Office than our current Mr. Haney. image George does remind you of Mr. Haney, doesn't he?

BOTR