Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Finest all-time Indian Cent set with varieties sold!

The LakeSamm collection is being sold by Eagle Eye.
Check out the details here

The collection contains all the top varieties popularly collected in the series. The ultra rare 1888/7 is the finest graded (pop 1), as is the 1873 Double LIBERTY, 1866 Doubled LIBERTY, 1864 No L Doubled LIBERTY, 1894/94 (pop 0), 1867/67 as are many others. The 1873 Closed 3 and 1886 Type 2 are the finest known, pop 1! The super coins in this collection seem endless.

Also included in this collection are patterns (some of which may be offered in the future) including the ultra rare 1856 with the Ornamented Wreath reverse, J-184, again the finest graded, Pop. 1. Three other 1856 Flying Eagles are included - Snow 1, Snow-3 and Snow 4 die pairs. These are the three main design combinations: Tilted ONE CENT reverse (S-1), High Leaves (S-3) and Low Leaves (S-4). The highly coveted Snow-3 is a top quality example in the true MS holder (PCGS and NGC no longer put any 1856 in a MS holder). (the Snow-3 sold for a record price to another dealer prior to listing) Additionally, both 1858/7 overdates are included! The Snow-1 is a gem (and also sold for a record price to another dealer) and the ultra rare Snow-7 is finest known.
Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:

Comments

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rick,

Will the catalog have images for all of the coins? If so, these could be a wonderful reference that is as easy as a download to retrieve.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    Very Cool 1857 S-18 in his collection. imageimage
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Rick,

When will the prices come out? Will the prices be based upon any specific information.Are you planning to come out with a new pink sheet ?

Stewart
  • Options
    Rick, shouldn't your thread title be something like "Finest.....Consigned" or "Finest....For sale soon" instead of "Finest...sold"? The current title might give potential readers/buyers the wrong impression.
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    Incredible set...puts my AU 58 set to shame ! image
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    It is a fabulous collection that was put together by a highly knowledgeable / energetic collector and an expert dealer -- a great combination and recipe for success! Like coinguy1, I'm a little confused as to the current status of the coins (Sold? Consigned? For sale?). Regardless, I wish Tim and Rick the best with the liquidation of this material. Cheers!
    Todd L. Imhof
    Partner / Executive VP
    Heritage Auctions
  • Options

<< <i>Like coinguy1, I'm a little confused as to the current status of the coins (Sold? Consigned? For sale?). >>

I'm not confused (as far as I know, at least) - I just don't want anyone else to be.image
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, consigned would be more appropriate. Coinguy, thanks for the clarification. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, It's consigned. But mostly at prices we both feel are fair. The few that were bought prior to Tim giving the coins to me were bought by Brian Wagner Rare Coins, some of those may be available. Sorry I didn't clarify earlier, I feel like shark bait in a feeding frenzy right now.
  • Options

<< <i>I feel like shark bait in a feeding frenzy right now >>

Rick, are you calling yourself (a) chum?image

Seriously, great coins and best of luck to you guys and enjoyment to the coins' new owners-to-be.
  • Options
    BWRCBWRC Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭
    I want to compliment Rick on the nice presentation he is doing for Tim and his fine collection. I hope the
    F.E. and I.H.C series gets a real jolt from all this excitement. Best to the both of you!image
    Brian Wagner Rare Coins, Specializing in PCGS graded, Shield, Liberty and Buffalo Nickels varieties.
  • Options
    BWRCBWRC Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭
    Check out the Eagle Eye site!

Lakesamm collection is selling fast, Some big coins are moving out the door!
    Brian Wagner Rare Coins, Specializing in PCGS graded, Shield, Liberty and Buffalo Nickels varieties.
  • Options
    The 1888/7 Snow-1 MS-64RB is sold for $85,000. Finest graded, Pop 1. Only 2 MS graded by PCGS, 20 total!
    Compare thast to the 1916/16 Buffalo: 1 in MS64 Pop 1 (recent sale:$250,000) 4 grades in MS, and 125 in all grades by PCGS.
  • Options
    Compared to a 1794 $1 at VF25 PCGS recently that sold for $86,000 Heritage in May, THAT IS A STEAL!!!!

Compared to the PROOF 1864 L on Rib, ALL 16 KNOWN are 60 or higher, yet ONE SOLD FOR OVER $100,000 TWICE!!! The 1888 over 7 was a STEAL!!!!

Compared to a 1933 $10 EAGLE, with over 20 KNOWN in MS64 or better, last one selling for $276,000 at DLRC Richmond collection, that thing is a STEAL.

Compared to the 1870-S silver dollar, with 12 known and one with a grade 3 POINTS WORSE THAN that 1888/7 cent, that went for OVER $1,000,000 in the past year, THAT CENT IS AN INCREDIBLE THEFT AT $85,000!!!!

The Accumulator - Dark Lloyd of the Sith

• Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭
    Lloydmincy

How much is an 1888/7 worth in ms 65 red ?

Stewart
  • Options
    Stewart:

Seems to me, about $150,000 minimum. WHERE IS IT? That could very well be the king of IHC's. I favor the 1877 and the 1864 L Proof's myself...
    The Accumulator - Dark Lloyd of the Sith

• Options
    I still like the 1886 TII the best. It is a variety that was intended to be made, unlike error varieties such as doubled dies or overdates. It should be included in any basic set just as everyone includes the three varieties of 1864. The traditional albums such as dansco have both 1886's. They all should have the 1860 and 1873 varieties too.
  • Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    I'm partial to his 1873 S1, a variety that can be appreciated with the naked eye. The strike detail and color of his PCGS 65RB are sensational. I've only seen photos of the other highest graded, an NGC 65RB, and this one sure looks like the better of the two.

Tim's pic
  • Options
    DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭
    That is one image coin!!!!!!!!!!
    Dan
  • Options
    Shylock,
    Thanks for posting the image of the 1873 Dbl. LIBERTY. There were two coins, this and the NGC MS65RB, which is the one on the cover of the first edition of my book. While I was working for Allstate Coin (Elliott Goldman) in 1990 we bought both coins raw from Norm Pullen in Maine. He bought them back in the early 1960's and kept them together for 30 years. The PCGS coin went to Ron Neuman and the other one got stolen during the grading process. That coin was recovered about 5 years ago. The other MS-65RB came to me raw from the rec.collecting.com newsgroup. The MS64RD was cherrypicked by Tom Turrisini in a collection he bought from a local dealer.

Rick

Ooops. I edited the WE to HE in the last sentence. I WISH, "WE" bought it!
  • Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the history of the two Doubled Liberty's Rick, it's interesting that one collector owned both those monsters for 30 years. I'd never heard the story of the NGC 65RB being stolen during the grading process! Are there any details about that, including the recovery, that can be shared here?

I have heard the story about how the 64RD was cherrypicked out of a collection of raw IH's, among several other great coins. The local dealer who passed on them should have invested in a copy of your book image
  • Options
    BigMooseBigMoose Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭
    I can tell you one thing. I sure am glad that I invested in a copy of Rick's book! The opportunity to cherrypick a fresh collection like that will likely never occur again in my lifetime. But sometimes, once is enough. image TomT.
    TomT-1794

Check out some of my 1794 Large Cents on www.coingallery.org
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That 64R is a beauty. Here is a link.

Link to 1873 S1 DDO MS64R
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.