Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Hall of Fame Omissions

What (or who) are the biggest Hall of Fame omissions in each of the four major sports?
"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."

Comments

• Options
    Jose Oquendo according to the Cheap Seats guys
  • Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    Art Monk and Ray Guy in football. How can you not elect the guy who retired with the most receptions in your sport's history, and who is still in the top 5? And how can you not elect the guy who is undisputedly the best to ever play his position?

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Options
    baseball = santo
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭
    I totally agree with Monk and Guy. Unbelieveable. How about Gil Hodges in baseball? The man drove in more than 100 runs 7 years in a row and hit 22 or more HRs 11 years straight.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    Football: Art Monk.

Robert
    Looking for:
    Any high grade OPC Jim Palmer
    High grade Redskins (pre 1980)
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    Pete Rose, hands down. His dealings after he stopped playing didn't affect his play on the field. The hall of fame is a seperate entity from MLB, and his banishment from the game of baseball should not affect his induction into the hall. The HoF has it's share of people who weren't saints.

Shoeless Joe, on the other hand, may not have 'thrown' the world series, but he did accept money from those who wanted it thrown. That (to me) warrants his banishment.
  • Options
    Personally, I think Shoeless Joe was a better ballplayer and a better person and is more deserving of a spot in the Hall of Fame than Pete Rose. Yes, I never saw him play, but SJJ is never portrayed as anything but a quiet, dim-witted ballplayer who made a tragic error in judgement, and his stats speak for themselves. BTW - I can't wait to see Hustler on ESPN this Sunday. Somehow I don't think Charlie Hustle would approve.
  • Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

Baseball: Santo
    Football: Guy
    Basketball: Dantley
    Hockey: Brent Sutter

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    The omission of Les Zikes from the Writer's Wing of the International Bowling Hall of Fame was a glaring error, but the Veteran's Committee righted that grevious wrong in 1999.

I really don't follow any other sports.

• Options
    In baseball it should be Curt Flood...good ball player, but what he did for free agency and how he was black listed for many years, he deserves a honorary position in my book.

He also should be collecting residual checks from all these bums who are paid 3-5 million per year to bat below the mendoza line and play as the 3rd utility infielder for a team 28 games out of first with a month to go in the season!

Seriously though. Rose would be a no brainer! After T. Perez, O. Cepeda, B. Maz was elected the people on the fence is starting to thin out. I was thinking about maybe Tony Oliva or Al Oliver (don't laugh) he has 2743 hits, .303 lifetime batting average, 1326 RBI's.

I would take out Phil Rizzuto in a heartbeat (1588 hits and .273BA) along with Pee Wee Reese and his 2170 hits and .269BA....but that is a different thread! lol...........

Take care,
    Mark
    ebay (bbcards4me)
  • Options
    Who Should Be In The Baseball Hall Of Fame, But Isn't

This old thread is pretty insightful too.

Brian
  • Options
    DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    Artis Gilmore for BSK.

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    Art Monk is not in the Hall of Fame? I never would've guessed that.

I'd say Glenn Anderson in hockey, but his omission is not really a glaring one.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    estangestang Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭
    Football: Ray Guy (agree!), Art Monk (agree), Mick Tinglehoff (T, MN), LC Greenwood, (LB, PIT)
    Baseball: Joe Jackson, Bert Blyleven, Jim Rice, Jim Kaat, Tommy John, Al Oliver
    Basketball: Dennis Johnson, Dominique Wilkins (9th in scoring), Adrian Dantley (17th in scoring, 54% FG for CAREER! @ 6'5"
    Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    wow i thought monk was in....

in baseball jim kaat

basketball dunno

hockey ditto on the dunno
    Good for you.
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other than Pete Rose and Joe Jackson, I think everybody is in that should be in. You might could throw Ryne Sandberg in there. But, actually, I think maybe that the Hall is getting a little diluted. The Hall of Fame should be reserved for the absolute best.

Here is another thought. I think that the Hall of Fame, at least in baseball, should be totally reorganized. I think there should be levels. How many levels is debateable. Maybe have 3 levels. Have 20 of the best of the best at this level. (Babe Ruth, Willie Mays, Walter Johnson, Hank Aaron, etc.) Then have a moderate level of superstars, but not the best (Yastrzemski, Banks, McCovey, etc). Then have a third level of ones that deserve to be in the Hall, but barely make it or ones that aren't household names (Fergie Jenkins, Tony Perez, Rollie Fingers, etc). There would be a renewed interest and stir up a lot of debate and conversation. Just a thought, not original with me, though.

Shane

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    and a 4th level would include that ferrel guy wes or rick im not sure

how in the world he is in i have no clue
    Good for you.
  • Options
    I believe Red Schoendienst would fall in the bottom category as well.

Ive never understood why he is in the Hall of Fame as he was a slightly better than average player and manager of only 2 pennant winners (1 World Title). There are tons of others that could meet that criteria. If its for longevity, then Zimmer should be right next to him.

Red, Rizzuto, Bobby Doerr and Mazeroski were probably the final undoing of the former veterans committee.
  • Options
    If I had 2 votes for each sport:

Baseball: Blyleven, Hodges
    Football: Monk, Guy
    Basketball: Dominique and Dantley

Hockey, I just don't know. I think it's weird how some guys (Gretzky, Lemieux) get elected immediately, with no waiting period, but Bourque and Roy have to wait. By the wau, anyone know what the waiting period is hockey? 3 years maybe?

• Options
    Bourque and Roy have hardly had the impact that Gretzky and Lemieux have. That being said I think waiving the 3 year grace period is silly. Its part of the process. Let them wait just like everyone else.

I also think it was crazy to retire #99 for the whole league. Who else would dare to wear it? The closest I ever saw was Brian Lawton. He wore #98 and was mocked and ridiculed for it.

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>and a 4th level would include that ferrel guy wes or rick im not sure

how in the world he is in i have no clue >>

It's Rick, and in the years when his name appeared on the regular HOF ballot he never received more than one vote. The Veteran's Committee must have been smoking something when they put him in. Interestingly, though, you could make a pretty good case that Wes should be in the HOF.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    Santo
  • Options
    schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    It's as if you were reading my mind. I can possibly see the argument against Bourque getting an instant HOF (and I'm one of the biggest Bourque fans out there), but not to let Roy right in is a disgrace. They'd better not make that same mistake when Brodeur eventually retires.

<< <i>If I had 2 votes for each sport:

Baseball: Blyleven, Hodges
    Football: Monk, Guy
    Basketball: Dominique and Dantley

Hockey, I just don't know. I think it's weird how some guys (Gretzky, Lemieux) get elected immediately, with no waiting period, but Bourque and Roy have to wait. By the wau, anyone know what the waiting period is hockey? 3 years maybe? >>

Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    " I believe Red Schoendienst would fall in the bottom category as well. "

Cubfan,

I actually agree with you. There are a bunch that fall into that category. If you put those guys in, why in the world wouldn't you put Roger Maris in? Sure, he doesn't have the career numbers, but EVERYBODY knows who Roger Maris is. He had one of the most memorable seasons in history.

Shane

• Options
    jaxxrjaxxr Posts: 1,258 ✭✭
    Yes indeed Roger Maris !!!

He has good lifetime stats, played on Championship Teams in both leauges, and was a fine individual, as well as twice the MVP.

No feat in sports had more continual pressure than his chase of the Babe's 60. This was THE record in baseball, perhaps in all of sports. Thats alone should merit induction.

As said before, the Hall is a bit over-stocked or somewhat diluted. There is no way at all any member will be taken out, therefore with some of the members already there, Maris would be good company.

Shoeless Joe and Pete Rose ?........of course they belong.

This aint no party,... this aint no disco,.. this aint no fooling around.
  • Options
    Ryne Sandberg.

There are many undeserving players enshrined because of their popularity. It's a disgrace Sandberg isn't in.

For years I complained about Paul Krause and Carl Eller but they finally made it. Too bad it took so long. I suspect Sandberg will be in soon also.
    Collecting PSA and BGS 500 HR & 3000 Hit Club Baseball
    HOF Quarterbacks Football
  • Options
    Baseball - Pete Rose - his own insolence is why he's not in. He had a chance to fess up and repent, but he stuck with his story.
    Football - ditto Art Monk. Great guy too.
    Hoops - Dominique Wilkens. Maybe some day.
    Pucks - Brent Sutter.
    Regards.
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options
    Vikes fan - I agree wholeheartedly and have had many posts over the past couple of years touting his stats, league leaderships, etc.. But I think Ryne will make it in the next year or two. He's still fresh in the procedure and has the great stats to make it.

I would agree with Santo as well and might stretch with Hodges. There just arent that many multiple all-star position players out there.

But it appears that the new veterans committee is going to be extremely strict and maybe overly strict in the next few elections to correct the terrible choices of the past few years.
  • Options
    Thurman Lee Munson
  • Options
    Baseball: Jim Rice, Ryne Sandberg
    Football: Art Monk
    Basketball: Dominque Wilkins (I thought he wasn't eligible for HOF yet?), and Artis Gilmore
    Hockey: Rogie Vachon- I think he has like 400 wins as a goalie, and is still not in, probably because he played most of his career on the west coast for the L.A. Kings when they weren't good in the 70's.
  • Options
    Baseball: Sandberg will make it in soon. He only just became eligible this year.

Hockey: Vachon is an excellent choice. He was totally penalized for playing most of his career in a non-hockey market. No way should Bourque or Roy be exempted from the 3-year waiting period. I thought it was a very poor choice to allow Lemieux and Gretzky to waltz right in, and hopefully in the wake of them both coming out of retirement to play again, the powers that be never pull that stunt again.
  • Options
    At what point do we stop letting people in, though? The HoF should be reserved for the very, very best of their sport.

I think the arguement that 'well so-and-so has been on the outside looking in for X amount of years' is a very dangerous one at best.

I think the true definition of a HoF'er should be someone who dominated (not just did well, but dominated) at his position for a sustained period of time.

I don't think being brilliant for 5 or 6 years should warrant HoF consideration. Terrell Davis is a perfect example, as is Thurman Munson....both players excelled, but their careers didn't last long enough (in my mind) to warrant HoF induction. Don't get me wrong, I think very highly of both players (especially Munson), but the HoF should be a very select group.

It's the same reasoning I despised the Veteran's Committee, and why I think that after 5 years of not being voted in, your name should be removed from the vote. There seems to be this sentiment (especially among players that were very popular) that if they stick it out long enough, they will eventually make it in. I disagree with that.

There is the argument that people always bring up about how 'so-and-so is better than this guy in the HoF'. That (to me) again holds no water. I think any player worth considering to the HoF should be able to stand on his own, and not have to resort to comparison to other players in the hall.

I think Ray Guy should be in...I think punters (and kickers) are kind of like relievers (and soon to be DH's) in baseball. They aren't typically seen as a critical component to the game, but is that really an excuse? Edgar Martinez may be the best DH the game has even known, but the knock on him is he didn't play in the field. That shouldn't matter. MLB has the DH rule, and whether or not you agree with it he has dominated it. The same with Ray Guy. The best damn punter who played, and people look down on him and don't feel he is worthy because he was 'just' a punter. He played the position better than anyone, he should be in.
  • Options
    I agree the waiting period should not be waived for Bourque or Roy, but when did Wayne Gretzky 'unretire'?

<< <i>I thought it was a very poor choice to allow Lemieux and Gretzky to waltz right in, and hopefully in the wake of them both coming out of retirement to play again, the powers that be never pull that stunt again. >>

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's my Top 5 list for football:

Don Coryell
    Ray Guy
    Art Monk
    Ken Stabler
    John Hadl

In baseball, I'd pick:

Bert Blyleven
    Goose Gossage
    Bruce Sutter
    Jim Rice
    Andre Dawson

Don't know enough about basketball and hockey.

Steve
  • Options
    Axtell - you make many good points that I do not disagree with. One question though - according to your logic, Sandy Koufax does not deserve to be in the HOF. Should he be or not? Regards.
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options
    for baseball:

PETER EDWARD ROSE

if the facts showed he bet AGAINST the reds i'd say no.
  • Options

<< <i>Axtell - you make many good points that I do not disagree with. One question though - according to your logic, Sandy Koufax does not deserve to be in the HOF. Should he be or not? Regards. >>

I know it's considered heresy, but yes, I would not have included Koufax if I were voting. Yes he dominated when he pitched, however, it was such as short period of time, and yes, you could project out that he would have had a very fruitful career. He just didn't play well long enough to merit consideration.

Year Ag Tm Lg W L G GS GF CG SHO SV IP H R ER HR BB SO HBP WP BFP ERA *lgERA *ERA+
    +--------------+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+--+------+----+----+----+---+----+----+---+---+-----+-----+-----+----+
    1955 19 BRO NL 2 2 12 5 4 2 2 0 41.7 33 15 14 2 28 30 1 2 183 3.02 4.08 135
    1956 20 BRO NL 2 4 16 10 1 0 0 0 58.7 66 37 32 10 29 30 0 1 261 4.91 3.96 81
    1957 21 BRO NL 5 4 34 13 12 2 0 0 104.3 83 49 45 14 51 122 2 5 444 3.88 4.15 107
    1958 22 LAD NL 11 11 40 26 7 5 0 1 158.7 132 89 79 19 105 131 1 17 714 4.48 4.11 92
    1959 23 LAD NL 8 6 35 23 6 6 1 2 153.3 136 74 69 23 92 173 0 5 679 4.05 4.22 104
    1960 24 LAD NL 8 13 37 26 7 7 2 1 175.0 133 83 76 20 100 197 1 9 753 3.91 3.99 102
    1961 25 LAD NL 18 13 42 35 2 15 2 1 255.7 212 117 100 27 96 269 3 12 1068 3.52 4.35 124
    1962 26 LAD NL 14 7 28 26 2 11 2 1 184.3 134 61 52 13 57 216 2 3 744 2.54 3.63 143
    1963 27 LAD NL 25 5 40 40 0 20 11 0 311.0 214 68 65 18 58 306 3 6 1210 1.88 3.02 161
    1964 28 LAD NL 19 5 29 28 1 15 7 1 223.0 154 49 43 13 53 223 0 9 870 1.74 3.25 187
    1965 29 LAD NL 26 8 43 41 2 27 8 2 335.7 216 90 76 26 71 382 5 11 1297 2.04 3.26 160
    1966 30 LAD NL 27 9 41 41 0 27 5 0 323.0 241 74 62 19 77 317 0 7 1274 1.73 3.28 190
    +--------------+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+--+------+----+----+----+---+----+----+---+---+-----+-----+-----+----+
    12 Yr WL% .655 165 87 397 314 44 137 40 9 2324.3 1754 806 713 204 817 2396 18 87 9497 2.76 3.63 131
    162 Game Avg 15 8 37 30 4 13 3 0 222.0 167 77 68 19 78 229 1 8 908 2.76 3.63 131
    Career High 27 13 43 41 12 27 11 2 335.7 241 117 100 27 105 382 5 17 1297 1.73 4.35 190

He had a truly amazing 5 year run to end his career, but is 5 years really a career worthy of HoF consideration?

I know I know I am going to be branded a heretic, as there are some huge Koufax fans out there....but put into proper context, I just can't see rewardng 5 years worth of pitching with a HoF nod.

(sorry about the formating, just never seems to copy over well.)
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    I think the Hall of Fame is more than just about career stats. If a player was among the very best in the sport over a significant stretch of time, if his name becomes legend even before he retires, if his legend only grows after retirement, then I think he deserves consideration even if his career totals do not reach the "magic numbers" that we now associate with HOF entry.

Also remember, those magic numbers were not very well established when many HOFers were inducted. I think just how people "felt" about a player was a much larger factor than it is now, in our stats-obsessed sports culture.

The induction committee had their reasons at the time. The passage of years may have made those reasons less obvious to those of us who can't fully appreciate the emotional impact (or the intangibles) of that player, but we shouldn't look back at that player's career stats and say "Nope, not good enough."

We can use career HRs or wins or K's or whatever to be the defining criteria NOW (though I wouldn't like it). But I think we have to cut some slack for the inductors and inductees of the past. In some cases they went with their gut, rather than a stat line, and that's just fine with me.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    I have to say Roger Maris. I mean baseball pretty much killed him when he started smoking 3 packs a day back in 1961 due to the stress of going for the reocrd. He was a great player, stand up role model when he could have gotten by with anything as Mantle did.

In Basketball Wilkins.
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have to add John Madden to the list in football.

Steve