Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Help! New eBay Scam

The day before yesterday I found a standard notice in my email about an auction I had won (A Home Theatere System) using the same format as the usual eBay format. I ignored it/sent it to spam. Then today on my eBay site on the WON page I find the same item waiting for payment. I.e., this person(s) has gotten into eBays site to post these winnings.
How can I handle this and if possible a way beyond just a form email from eBay. Now that they are appearing in my personal site on eBay it has me concerned over security.
Anyone else dealing with this. Item number is 5123597797. Oh, it was a good deal (sic.) AU $72.50 for a "4500W 7pcs Home Theatere System for DVD/PC $1 NR".
Thanks for any input,
Dave C.

Comments

• Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    is it possible you put in the wrong item # on a snipe?
  • Options
    packCollector,

I regret to say you are correct. A check of my snipes reveals I am too stupid to bid. Anyone want a home theater, cheap??

Dave
  • Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    on the bright side ..at least your account was not stolen.

try offering the seller some money for his fees and some for the troubles ...maybe he is nice and will let it go
    "Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    Dave --

Calleocho has a good idea. If that doesn't work, I would suggest paying the seller in full with the understanding that the seller will relist it on consignment for you for a nominal fee or percentage.

BTW - I heard recently of an incident where some seller listed something with a high opening bid and didn't get any bids so on the day before the auction was scheduled to close, some buyer made an offer to the seller and he sold it. But rather than shut down the auction and lose out on listing fees, the seller edited the auction and listed something else and someone won the other item that they had no intention of buying because they used a sniping service and set their bid before the change was made. Sellers can't change the listing the last 12 hours of the auction, but they can before that. I don't know if that is what happened here, but that's something to keep in mind.

Good luck Dave! I hope it works out OK.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice.

Worked out well....it was no reserve, I got it for AU$70+ (about $50) and seller was glad to back out. "All's well that ends well...." except I live with the memory of my own mistakes and how it could have been worse.
  • Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭
    Dude,

That's a scary but interesting story. It is definitely something to think about. I started making copies
    for records of auctions before I bid (if I decide I might bid) and then keep a final copy if I do win an
    auction. I do it for record keeping but I never thought of what you just mentioned. Pretty crazy...

aconte
  • Options
    Dan:

I never thought of that scenario. I frequently change my listing midway when no one has bid on an item and I sell it off as part of a lot. Why lose the listing fee? Something to keep in mind.
    Dave
    1973 Topps PSA 9's+(retired)
    1986 Topps PSA Perfect(active)
    1997 Flair Legacy's(active)
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    I snipe everything and if I won something from an auction that was changed half way through the listing, I wouldn't pay for it, regardless of getting a negative. That's not fair and the seller would get a negative back.

What I do when I make a snipe is I open up a second Internet Explorer and log it into esnipe. The other one I use to browse around Ebay. When I find a lot that I want, I left click and drag over the auction number on the EBay page then right click and do a copy and paste on to esnipe. That way I don't make the error of putting in the wrong number. Plus I don't need to keep a pen and paper handy.
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    one reason why I like powersnipe, you can download a tiny file that sets up a program that has both ebay and power snipe in the same browser, you just click which one you want at the top of hte screen