Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Mary Groat in Hand (update)

Mary Groat for my Tudor portrait collection. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buy it!!! It looks great!

The only thing that makes me wonder is how the toning on each side got to be a different color, but that is such a piffling issue it isn't worth mentioning. (Might also be an effect of the picture?)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    That one's about as good as they come! Go fer it!
  • Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Buy it!!! It looks great!

The only thing that makes me wonder is how the toning on each side got to be a different color, but that is such a piffling issue it isn't worth mentioning. (Might also be an effect of the picture?) >>

My guess is a difference (or lack) of photo editing before finalizing the picture.
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options

<< <i>Buy it!!! It looks great!

The only thing that makes me wonder is how the toning on each side got to be a different color, but that is such a piffling issue it isn't worth mentioning. (Might also be an effect of the picture?) >>

I'm 99% certain the toning difference is due to the coin pic being scanned. I've had that happen numerous times when scanning coins for ebay. Even if the toning is really that different, it doesn't doesn't bother me enough not to buy it. It seems to be a nice original coin that has either never been cleaned or maybe cleaned 150 years ago.

I'm going to buy it, I'll let you all know how the toning turned out when I get it.
  • Options
    Very nice portrait. It has character and one would assume some degree of similarity to the actual person. That is not seen very often on such early coins. I'd go for it.

Marcel
    Ebay user name: 00MadMuffin00
  • Options
    Nice find. It's the coin I'm still looking for.
  • Options
    It's a Mary and thereby by definition it's gorgeous anyhow.

But that specimen is fantastic! That has got to be one of the very best i've seen! Nab it and nab it fast.

I hope you get as many years enjoyment out of it as i would.
  • Options

<< <i>Nice find. It's the coin I'm still looking for. >>

Thanks.

Sorry it's looks like I hi-jacked your icon. image

Hope you don't mind. It was the closest one to my collecting area.
  • Options
    Ok, I bought this earlier today. I will hopefully have it by the end of next week!
  • Options
    Cool coin, I hope you like it.
    So many coins, so little money!
    Ebay name: bhil3
  • Options
    I never edit my photos and often get different colored photos of each side even though they look the same color in hand.... Please make sure to let us know how it looks when it arrives.
  • Options

<< <i>Sorry it's looks like I hi-jacked your icon. >>

<< <i>Hope you don't mind. It was the closest one to my collecting area. >>

I don't mind at all.image
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    congrats... excellent decision to buy. What a great looking coin. I don't have one either...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    That is an example which will have "pride of place" in your collection! image Can't wait to see your pics of it!
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    I have the coin in hand now, both sides are a uniform color but darker than the scan, more of a silver/black than brownish/gray as the photo indicates. I'm going to be taking a digital pic soon and will post a new pic when i have it.
  • Options
    Can't wait to see.image