Home U.S. Coin Forum

IL senators propopse 4 new Lincolns for 2009.

WeissWeiss Posts: 9,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
As heard on my local (IL) news this morning...

Look out, state quarters program!! image

Man, I hope there is a phenomenal amount of seigniorage on cents. Does this sound like a money-losing pork program to anyone else?

U.S. Senators Dick Durbin (D-IL), Peter Fitzgerald (R-IL), Jim Bunning (R-KY) and Evan Bayh (D-IN) today introduced legislation to put a "new face" – actually a new back – on a series of one-cent coins to mark the 200th anniversary of the birth of Abraham Lincoln. The redesigned pennies would be issued in 2009, the year of the Lincoln bicentennial and would feature four designs on the reverse side of the coins, each representing a different aspect of the life of Abraham Lincoln. The different designs would depict his birth and early childhood in Kentucky, his youth in Indiana, his professional life in Illinois and his presidency in Washington, DC. The present image of Lincoln will continue to be on the front of the penny.

"Abraham Lincoln was one of this nation's greatest leaders and is a hero to generations of Americans," said Senator Durbin. "From his determination to preserve the Union to his courageous Emancipation Proclamation, few of us living today have not been touched by the Lincoln legacy. On the bicentennial of his birth, this special series of coins will be a very visible and inclusive way to celebrate his life and leadership."

Issued in 1909 on the 100th anniversary of Lincoln's birth the "Lincoln cent" featuring Victor David Brenner's likeness of the 16th president is one of the most recognizable designs in American currency. In the nearly 100 years of production of the Lincoln cent there have been only two designs on the reverse side: the original featuring two wheat-heads and the current representation of the Lincoln Memorial in Washington, DC.

The Durbin bill would instruct the Secretary of the Treasury to issue four one-cent coins during the year 2009. The designs will be chosen by the Secretary after consultation with the Abraham Lincoln Bicentennial Commission, the Commission of Fine Arts, and the Citizens Coinage Advisory Committee. After December 31, 2009, the image on the reverse of the penny will be permanently changed to one that represents President Lincoln's preservation of the United States as a single, united nation.

"Lincoln's life is a model of honesty, integrity, loyalty and a lifetime of education," said Durbin. "In 1865, he gave the ultimate sacrifice for the country he loved, dying from an assassin's bullet. A year's worth of new designs on the back of the penny will honor his life's work and mark the occasion of his 200th birthday. The redesigned coins will give children and adults alike a new understanding of his achievements and contributions to this nation."

Senator Durbin is a co-chair of the Abraham Lincoln Bicentennial Commission, which was established by Congress in 2001 to organize the national observance of the 200th anniversary of Lincoln's birth on February 12, 2009. Its mission is to study and recommend to Congress activities that will best pay tribute to Lincoln on the occasion.

Senator Dick Durbin press release
We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments

• F117ASRF117ASR Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭
    awesome. It would be nice though if one of the designs were the wheat reverse. I would like to see one dated 2009
    Beware of the flying monkeys!
    Aerospace Structures Engineer
  • nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭
    I sure do love all the changes. It'll help keep the hobby more interesting for casual collectors (and maybe snag some to be long term collectors). Now if only we could get rid of dead presidents...
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,516 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As one of the more "penny-pinching" presidents one has to wonder how Lincoln would feel
    about having his likeness on a coin that is a drag on the economy; a coin that actually decreases
    from the total wealth of the nation rather than increases it.

While a 2009-S VDB would be a wonderful thing to see, why not make it out of copper for mint and
    proof sets only. The $5 bill could have a special reverse if they want something to circulate.
    Tempus fugit.

• << <i>The present image of Lincoln will continue to be on the front of the penny.
    >>

Although I do like all the changes our coins are getting I still believe that the image of Liberty should grace this nations coinage, not dead presidents.
  • Sweeeet, I hope it's done... And it should be 5 reverses... the 4 bicentennial reverses, and a centennial reverse that brings the wheatie back into circulation for just 2009.
  • F117ASRF117ASR Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭
    And afterwards I hope the kill the denomination. It's time to put it to rest.
    Beware of the flying monkeys!
    Aerospace Structures Engineer
  • ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Then either kill the denomination or change its design. I think ONE HUNDRED YEARS of the same design is more than enough.

And really, I'm starting to grow weary of "special designs" on some denomination each year. It's murder on a type collector... image

• << <i>And afterwards I hope the kill the denomination. It's time to put it to rest. >>

Ain't gonna happen. The economy depends on it too much. Case and point is the 6% tax (in most states). They sure as hell won't drop it to 5%. And they aren't going to drop the stamp from 37 cents to 35. It'd all be raised to 10% and 40 cents. Not tomention prices for products would have to be calculated out to have a price divisable by 5 cents, whereas any price can be divisable by 1 cent. The cents been around since, like, 1792. It'll be around for quite some time more.
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    DominusDeus,

None of that would have to be done. Simply round up sales tax to the nearest 5¢ increment. It's already done with the penny.

Russ, NCNE
  • ldhairldhair Posts: 7,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe we need a silver proof 2009-S VDBimage
    Larry

• LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    I wouldnt like to see the Lincoln cent go the way of the quarter and nickel. I would much rather see 2008 as the last buisness strike year of the design. I would love to see a 2009-S VDB cent included in the mint sets for that year, though. I'd REALLY like to see that coin made from the same alloy and die pattern as the origional 1909-S VDB's. ...wishful thinking.

David
  • I'm getting the impression that the government does not care one bit about the 100th anniversary of the Lincoln Cent, only the 200th birthday of Lincoln. I highly doubt you will see a vdb, S-vdb, or wheat cent reverse.

Edited to change my vbb to a vdb image
  • ldhairldhair Posts: 7,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why not a 4 or 5 pc allow set.image
    Larry

• thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Maybe we need a silver proof 2009-S VDBimage >>

Hey, this isn't such a bad idea. I don't know about silver. Bronze is fine......
  • You just wait and see !
    we might see 10 different Lincolns for 2008-9
    1958-2008 MEM designs
    1909-2009 Wheaties !
    1809-2009 ?
    what better way to bookend the SHQ program ?
    The 08 proof set is gonna be 15 coins !

My guess is 12 different cent coins in 08-09

Nuff collectors to dent the deficit with the seniorage !
  • Not only would I like to see a 2009S VDB wheat cent, I'd love to see a 2009D VDB wheat cent. image
  • michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    i hope they make an exact reproduction of the 1909 cent to put in the proof sets but make it a matte proof and date it 2009

michael
  • MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭

<< <i>what better way to bookend the SHQ program ?
    The 08 proof set is gonna be 15 coins ! >>

Knowing the greedy mint, it will cost $99 also! I can see them selling P & D rolls for $9.99 for 2 rolls of cents and us gobbling them up!!!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    I sense more state outlines in our future.
  • WeissWeiss Posts: 9,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TTT because I'm vain and I like to see my name in lights image
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>After December 31, 2009, the image on the reverse of the penny will be permanently changed to one that represents President Lincoln's preservation of the United States as a single, united nation. >>

Here we go again. Another state that thinks they own America's coinage. Are we going to roll over on this one like we did the Jefferson
    Nickel? Or are we going to insist the ANA represent collectors & citizens and demand that no law be passed that permanently incorporates
    a coin design?

Edit: grammar.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• jomjom Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS70: Agree. Illinois now thinks that if they can push this new design on us they can cement their "right" to it. Did anyone expect anything differently after the Virginia debacle?

jom
  • sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    I suppose Hyannis will take over the half now and Hyde Park will own the dime?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file