Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Anyone vintage collectors here from the MA area?

I have been to 1 or 2 card show in the past 8-9 years. After going to those two, I was so disappointed with the modern "junk". imageisgust Being a vintage only collector, are there any more good card shows in the MA area, RI, NH, CT incuded that have some nice raw odler stuff? I remeber there was one at the peabody Holiday Inn that was great, but it isn't even there anymore. Also the Bishop Guertin show in NH was great, but I cant find the dates for it. image

Comments

• Options
    ttt,
    anyone, anyone, Bueller....
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    This show is about the only decent one in the area, and it happens to be coming up shortly -

Greater Boston Sports Collectors Club #19
    November 5-7, Shriners Auditorium, Wilmington, MA
  • Options
    schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    I'm in MA as well, but wouldn't really be able to suggest many shows. Are they still doing the Florian Hall show over in Dorchester? That used to be good (at least it was 12 years ago when I would go). The Shriners show is still good from what I hear. There is also going to be a Tri-Star show coming up in December, if memory serves me...
    Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options

<< <i>This show is about the only decent one in the area, and it happens to be coming up shortly -

Greater Boston Sports Collectors Club #19
    November 5-7, Shriners Auditorium, Wilmington, MA >>

Yes I remeber that show!!! Now it is billed as "The only show Mr. Mint sets up at in MAssachusetts"!! I can't wait....image

Anyways, thanks for the info, I will be attending!
  • Options
    I know they have a show once a month at Yokens on Rt1 in Portsmouth, NH.
  • Options
    Show this Sunday Sept. 26, Hampton Falls NH @Faro Gardens on
    Route 1
    RayBShotz
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • Options
    raym8raym8 Posts: 150 ✭✭✭
    Things have relatively dried up in terms of decent shows in the New England area. There was a time not too many years ago where there was a decent size show going on almost every weekend. But as is the case in most areas, as ebay and other on-line auctions have grown in popularity, dealers are finding it more profitible to simply list online.

The shows at Bishop Guertin in Nashua haven't been held for well over a year or two, as well as the shows at Boston College High, which used to be two pretty decent sized shows. There are still monthly shows held in Burlington, MA. and Hudson N.H., but once you have been there once, you tend to see the same dealers and items time after time.

IMO, there are really on 3 shows left worth attending, at least in my area (Greater Boston). Those are the Tri-Star shows that come twice a year to Marlboro, MA, and the already mentioned Shriners Show which is held once a hear in Wilmington, this year during the first weekend of Novemeber.

If you need any specific information as to dates and locations of any of these shows, let me know.

Best,
    Ray
  • Options
    What's the date of the show in Wilmington?
  • Options
    raym8raym8 Posts: 150 ✭✭✭
    November 5, 6, & 7.
  • Options
    I checked out the Tristar once and was very disappointed, at least in the area of cards. They have very big name HOFers there for autos, but I remember there being many stands for $5 wax and just lower end cards in general. Is it any better now? This was probably 2-3 years ago.

The Shriner's show is great. You'll see some pretty big dealers there like 707 with all the Mantles.

There used to be a good annual show at BC High, very comparable to Shriner's, but I haven't heard anything about it in 10 years or so.

The only monthly show I think that's worth checking out is Burlingon, Wheeler Rd; look on Beckett's site for the schedule.