Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Reholder Service Question

I’ve e-mailed PSA a couple of times about this over the past few weeks and got no reply. In the hope that someone has had previous experience of this situation, I’m throwing it open to the expertise of the board.

I am submitting some cards under the September Set Registry Special. I also have one card that I would like to place in a new holder. It is a normal 1967 Topps Baseball card that was obviously graded at a time when there were no holders available that fitted 3 1/2 inch cards so it has been placed in a 3 3/4 inch card holder in a mylar sleeve. My question is - can I include this one card for reholder-ing with my submission? Obviously the S&H and insurance costs of submitting it on its own would be prohibitively expensive ( $33.40 for 1-10 cards to Europe), but if it was possible, I really would like it to match the rest of my 1967 collection.

Has anyone done this before or do PSA insist on cards for the Reholder service being submitted separately?

Many thanks,
Jonathan
Baseball HOF Autographs
Topps Baseball 1967
Mike Payne's 300 Great Cards
MVPs in their MVP years
and T206???

Comments

• Options

I would either print a seperate submission form and include it with your other submission or call Joe at PSA.You should be able to find their number on the website.

Vic
    Please be kind to me. Even though I'm now a former postal employee, I'm still capable of snapping at any time.
  • Options
    You can ship them together, but they have to be on a seperate invoice, and they will be shipped back to you seperately. Find some more cards you need reholdered and send the bunch together. It is ridiculous the shipping you have to pay for 1 card.
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    Hard to imagine PSA running out of holders, but it's true. I don't like the standard cards in oversize holders with a mylar sleeve to keep it from sliding around. When I first saw one, I suspected chicanery and card swapping by the person who was selling it ... until I figured it out. I think PSA should give submitters the option of waiting a little longer until they restock the standard holders.
  • Options
    I'd be willing to wait 6 months for the right holder. I hate the over sized holder. If you have a tobacco card in one of those oversizers, it looks like it could get damaged if it's a narrow card. The less movement the better.
  • Options
    Jonathan,
    I just had the same experience w/ a 1953 Bowman BB in a mylar sleeve. I called Joe Orlando about it who explained that sometimes thet are in those holders because they are a bit undersized, sometimes because they run out of a certain size holder at a show where they are grading & have to use another size holder. As is mentioned in one of the responses, I also was suspicious of the card when I saw plastic inside the sleeve for the first time, until it was explained to me. As with you, I think it presents better w/ the other cards if not in the mylar sleeve. At any rate, Joe said I would have to send the card in for them to determine if it shouild or should not remain w/i the sleeve. I just got the card back w/o the sleeve which I was happy about. You're right though about the shipping. I sent the card in w/ others for reholdering. You can't combine these with regualr grading w/o separate submission forms. Now I just picked up a fb card with a mylar sleeve! I may wait until I go to another major show where PSA is grading, and have them check it on site and the take whatever action is necessary. I'm not as uncomfortable with the sleeves as I originally was before I understood why they are used and that, in fact, PSA (not a seller) is using them.
    Doug
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback, guys. In particular, Doug, thank you for your detailed yet sympathetic response!
    It looks like I'll have to adopt the same approach as yourself and wait until I have a few more to defray the costs. The ironic twist is that the mylar sleeve wasn't noticeable in the scan on eBay. After I bought the card and before I got it, I was far more concerned that the colors in the picture were a bit bizarre and I had my fingers crossed that it was just a bad scan. It was ...
    Baseball HOF Autographs
    Topps Baseball 1967
    Mike Payne's 300 Great Cards
    MVPs in their MVP years
    and T206???
  • Options
    Jonathan,
    I had the same scan problem w/ the fb card I just got. I bought it from a national dealer, and had checked the scans of all the cards I got from him, but didn't realize the card was in a mylar sleeve until I rec'd it. Good luck w/ all your collecting efforts. Believe me, at times these side issues always present a cheallenge!
    Doug