Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What do you think of this Large Cent?

USMC_6115USMC_6115 Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

Comments

• Options
    BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭
    I don't know much about them, but I like it. Not corroded and porous like many I've seen in this grade.
    US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What do you think of this Large Cent? >>

I like it very much.

A lovely looking coin with even wear, no distractions worth speaking of, nice color, and nice surfaces.

Is it one you're thinking of buying? Jump on it!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    looks expensive image
  • Options
    It's being graded by the dealer at VF+... Is that accurate? I think I like it better than my previous selection in an earlier post. And, thanks for the help everyoneimage
  • Options

I like it
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    Attractive cent with nice even wear on both sides...
    A thing of beauty is a joy for ever
  • Options
    Dark, slightly porous VF30 by PCGS standards.

Not a choice color as early copper goes.

The nick on the mouth is not severe, nor is it out of character for the amount of wear on the coin, but it is very prominently located.

I would not pay a premium to VF prices for this example, and, if it were me, I'd wait for a coin that was a more pleasing lighter chocolate brown.

For what its worth, the US Cents website (USCents.com) has some nice pictures and grading guides for early copper. They use more traditional standards which are more conservative than PCGS, but its worth your time to have a look and compare the piece in this thread with as many other coins as possible:

These are the VF20 examples on the site -

"At the lowest VF level all of the hair strands are bold and some of the microscopic detail can be seen such as the end of the curl on the neck. There are still significant flat spots such as along the brow, at the tip of the bust, and on each of the little curls. About half of the leaves show separation from their brethren. There is no "mint luster" to be seen".

• Options
    wam98wam98 Posts: 2,685
    Maybe a little dark, had to lighten my screen to see it. I still like it though. If you like the coin and the money is right, go for it. I would not give a premium for dark copper myself, but most of what I've seen of the early coppers are dark. The lighter brown ones seem to draw a crowd and bring more $, if their not messed with. VF works for me on that coin. image
    Wayne
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    I like it, I would like it more if it were a little more chocolate-brown, but still a really nice coin.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin. F12. No way is it a VF.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    i would grade it f-12. 90% chance it's recolored too.

K S
  • Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    I think it's great. Wish I had one that nice. Planchet looks good, nice surfaces, decent color too. image

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options

Nice coin. F-15, but often sold as VF commercially. DB Large Cents are often overgraded because of the fact that worn examples still show hair detail.
    www.jaderarecoin.com - Updated 6/8/06. Many new coins added!

Our eBay auctions - TRUE auctions: start at $0.01, no reserve, 30 day unconditional return privilege & free shipping!
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice enough coin, other than the unfortunately placed scratch at the mouth,
    which draws the eye and makes her look a little like "the Joker"

I agree with F-15, but think it would be VF if not for that darned skitch.
    I like the color of this piece better than the other.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    I think maybe I'll hold off for another one. I appreciate and value everyone's opinion here, and I hope that I can keep posting possible candidates without it getting old too fast. Thanks again...
  • Options
    prooflikeprooflike Posts: 3,879 ✭✭
    I like it, no serious gashes or porosity & color is nice.

• Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Nice.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options

What do you guys think of this coin (note: this is not my coin and not for sale):

PS - sorry for the low quality image (it's not mine)

www.jaderarecoin.com - Updated 6/8/06. Many new coins added!

Our eBay auctions - TRUE auctions: start at $0.01, no reserve, 30 day unconditional return privilege & free shipping!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file