Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Special Wood Coin Storage Boxes

Was wondering if anyone out there can recommend a company or person who could manufacture a special coin storage box to hold my coins. I saw that PCGS has those "cherrywood" looking boxes that hold 20 or 30 slabbed coins. I think they are really great looking. However, I'm looking for a box just like that "cherrywood" that can hold my 80 coin Merc Dime Set I'm putting together. Any recommendations on where I might look for something like that. Thanks in advance from Mike

Comments

• Options
    You're sure to get an earful here on this subject! image
  • Options

<< <i>You're sure to get an earful here on this subject! image >>

Hi,
    how right you are Ken! image
    Mike, I saw your post and thought you might be interested in some information about storing coins in wood I have been posting since around the time the boxes were issued. I love coins, have been involved in various areas of conservation for 18 years or so and know from related experience that wood can cause "toning" on metal - I think it will be shown to be a matter of how much - not if. Slabs are not hermetically sealed and will be exposed to the outgassing or various organic acids and other harmful fumes from the wood itself, the adhesives used in construction and even the fabric can be harmful - especially if in an uncontrolled or concentrated environment such as a deposit box. How well the newer slabs will hold out against the incursion of acidic fumes is unknown, but that they are not airtight is known. Wood is, in short, not the best choice. The display cases above made by SOLID are great IMHO because they are open displays - and they do suggest you do not store the wooden part in a safe or deposit box - just the aluminum tray (anodized aluminum is the material of choice for long term storage). At least 1 person concerned about this who contacted PCGS has already been offered a refund for his PCGS wooden boxes as "there will be no short term answer", and last nite I heard from Mr. Hall that accelerated testing would take a month or two and we will be made aware of the results - unfortunately it seems they were not subjected to testing pior to marketing. There are also a few questions in the Q+A about this topic from myself and another. Several people have made excellent posts - Frattlaw showed with pics what I was writing about - slabs do not provide complete protection in the presence of acetic acid - which is found in wood - especially oak which the PCGS boxes seem to made out of. Oak emits up to 5% of its weight in acetic acid. MrSpud has written excellent posts about the chemical aspects of toning as well as raising awreness of the book Coin Chemistry by W. White. As I said in an earlier post - even if storage in wood is said to be 90% safe with 90% certainty, why risk a collection that has taken time, effort and money to assemble? Because they are pretty is not enough reason for me. And, no one has yet posted any BENEFITS at all of storage coins in wood to my knowledge.

Best,
    Billy image

CARING FOR YOUR METAL OBJECTS
    The American Institute for Conservation of Historic & Artistic Works
    Prepared by Julie A. Reilly with assistance from David Harvey and Julie Lauffenburger, 2001.

"The characteristic tarnish on silver is black silver sulfide. Acidic gasses from wooden cabinets and cases can also cause metal corrosion. Vapors produced by plywood and other products that off-gas formaldehyde cause lead alloys and other metals to corrode, forming wispy white crystals often confused with mold growth. Keeping metal objects in a clean, dry, safe environment can prevent deterioration from environmental sources."

"Metals, in general, should be stored with inert storage materials. For example, metal cabinets and shelving should be used rather than wood cabinets and shelving. As discussed earlier, many woods and wood products, like plywood, emit acids and other gasses that cause metals to corrode. Acidic newsprint and cardboard boxes should be avoided. Acid-free, lignin-free wrapping paper and boxes are better. Clean, soft cotton cloth can also be used."

and:

Link to Data - if this doesnt convice you there is potential for harm from wood boxes nothing will

"Original" Wood Post (sent to Mr. Hall Aug 5th, responded Sept. 14th....just 3 days after my ORIGINAL Poll 9below) closed where 78.79% voted "wood has the potential to harm coins")

Original PCGS Wood Poll Thread (more data)

Link To Another Wood Thread

• Options
    Thank you for the info. I never realized the potential harm using wood, etc might cause the coins. I might have to rethink where I store them. Darn.........those boxes sure look good tho.
  • Options

<< <i>Thank you for the info. I never realized the potential harm using wood, etc might cause the coins. I might have to rethink where I store them. Darn.........those boxes sure look good tho. >>

Hi,
    you are welcome. I am glad you found the information interesting.

Best,
    Billy image
  • Options

<< <i>Thank you for the info. I never realized the potential harm using wood, etc might cause the coins. I might have to rethink where I store them. Darn.........those boxes sure look good tho. >>

The same problem has been around for a long time using wood !! the old coin cabinets from the 1800's are another example of sometimes producing un attractive toning.
  • Options

<< <i>

The same problem has been around for a long time using wood !! the old coin cabinets from the 1800's are another example of sometimes producing un attractive toning. >>

Hi,
    thanks! Now, try telling that to some people on other boards...LOL..as I have always maintained - I can't speak for the slabs other than I know they are not airtight - but wood WILL cause toning over time esp. in a safe.

Best,
    Billy image
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike-
    I make display cases with an "open" format and triple sealed with polyurethane. They are made from birch and cherry and reasonably priced. If you'd like, I'll email some pics.

Ron

• Options
    magikbilly,

The PCGS hit squad is on their way to your house for screwing up their latest marketing gimmick. image
  • Options

<< <i>magikbilly,

The PCGS hit squad is on their way to your house for screwing up their latest marketing gimmick. image >>

Hi there,
    yes, I have heard that. And "I'd not submit coins under your own name if I were you" and such. All for the love of coins!

You might find this funny:
    MrSpud wrote in a playful manner in resonse to my (unanswered) request for ANYONE to quote benefits of wood storage "Ummm...Ok. If these wood boxes become really fashionable and popular then, in the future, my coins I am going to store in tarnish proof time capsules will become really valuable?"

To which I responded:

"Whats the matter - pretty is not good enough for you? Coin values will be affected only after you pay someone to tell you it is a genuine unaltered wood box, and the box itself was slabbed in July 2004 in limited edition simulated rosewood "Presidio Storage Box Storage Slabs", signed by Jessica Simpson and then registered as well - and that "sort-of-cherrywoodlike" finish is unwaxed, unpolished and not AT in any way at all..I'd go and call it an oak box as it seems to be from what others have posted - but then again someone wrote PCGS about the type of wood and received no response image
    Perhaps they will discover that too in the accelerated tests? image
    Will this result in the future for premiums on coins with "slab toning" like tab toning?"

Best,
    magikbilly image

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I keep reading that toned coins are worth more. Where did that tone come from, but in most cases wood products. image