Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Chris Renaud's '71 Set Officially Dissolved

With all the eBay listings by Keith Abrams in recent weeks
as well as all the recent additions and upgrades to the top
registry sets, it appears as if Chris Renaud's 1971 masterpiece
is gone forever. Being a '71 collector myself, I wonder if a set
as nice as the one Chris put together will ever be assembled
again. What are the feelings of board members as to this
feat being duplicated anytime soon if at all?
Bill
wpkoughan@yahoo.com
Collecting 1970-1979 PSA 9 & 10 Baseball Cards

Comments

• i dont see where the pop report supports 1971
    as being such a tough year for high grade,9/10 cards.
    they'll be plenty more.
    Money is your ticket to freedom.
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    If someone has the inkling to put a couple ten thousand behind the set - I imagine that putting together another 1971 masterpiece is entirely possible
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • 1971 not a tough year for 9 's and 10's?

67 topps psa 9 - 4563 psa 10- 89

68 topps psa 9 - 16,499 psa 10 -1406

69 topps psa 9- 9,523 psa 10- 398

70 topps psa 9 - 6595 psa 10- 230

71 TOPPS PSA 9- 1869 PSA 10- 43

72 topps psa 9 - 9657 psa10- 580
  • I just want to thank Chris as I was able to purchase some 71s I really wanted from him including the 71 Munson 9 1/1 as well as the Blyleven RC and a few other star cards. I will definitely cherish the Munson in my collection for years to come.

EO
  • i bet that psa 9 munson will look nice next to the reggie and baylor/baker.....enjoy
  • calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    EO could you please show us a scan of the Munson?
    "Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭
    here is eric's new card. enjoy
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Is Chris still in Israel?
  • AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭

<< <i>here is eric's new card. enjoy
    image >>

Wow...my favorite card too! Wish I had the kind of coin to pick it up. As it is, I can't wait till my 7 shows up!

• calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    Jackstraw,

thanks a lot for the scan ...thats a beautiful card!
    "Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Chris,

Sorry to see you break up that beautiful set, but I know that you have bigger and better things in the hopper.

I personally have put together over 15 complete RAW sets of 71' Topps in my collecting lifetime and have always liked the challenge of finding these black beauties in nice shape.

I think that next to 1962 Topps and 1955 Bowman, the 71' set is the toughest to put together in top condition due to the borders and centering issues.

PS- Thats one heck of a nice Munson!

Jim
    Buyer and Seller of PSA graded Baseball Cards from 1900-1980.

Check out my ebay auctions listed under seller ID: jeej
  • 19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    If you think the 1971 Topps set is tough, try putting together a high grade Topps Greatest moments set.

Pop in a PSA 9- 15
    pop in a PSA 10- ZERO

Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • I have never seen a Munson so nice, that is a true 1/1 card, thanks for the scan!image
  • EOMInt- I was wondering who would get the Munson 9, but didn't want to impose on Keith (who handled the sale of Chris' set) to find out who got it. As is, I'll be upgrading quite a bit of my set courtesy of Chris' set. None of the 9's, but a nice selection of 8's.
    Congrats on all your future collecting endeavors Chris.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Yeah - it is a shame to see such a set broken up. But... Chris is on to bigger and badder sets. It took him a while, but I think that this is probably where he should be for long term collectibility. With determination and lots of money we might someday mention Renaud along with Merkel, Fogel, Branca and some of the other big names.

Frank
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Hello everyone and thanks for the nice comments on the cards.

I have returned from Israel a few days ago - shano tova to other Israeli and/or Jewish collectors, although believe it or not I am not Jewish although I have a home there and spend a lot of time in Tel Aviv.

I decided to sell my huge sets from the 70's (other than the 70 set which is my birth year and has players I remember seeing playing) as I found I really like to take my collection and place them in display cases in my homes, or offices and I was just not getting the enjoyment out of the larger sets (and I had more than a few) as the cards were just collecting dust in boxes and I did not have enough time to enjoy them visually.

For those who may have written that they were afraid that I was leaving the hobby because of the ToppsGun comments or for another reason, that is definitely not the case; I have just shifted to smaller sets. I have recently added a beautiful Feller 53 Bowman PSA 9 (my 8 is for sale on EBAY now which is a great card other than a bit of browning on the borders and a microscopic nick on the upper left hand corner) and I am enjoying collecting perhaps a bit fewer cards but cards that I know I will see more often.

As well, thanks to Keith for all of his great work.

All the best

Chris
    Collector of baseball PSA sets from the 1970's & hockey rookie cards; big New York Rangers fan (particularly now that they are sleeping with the enemy with Holik and Kaspiritus). Also starting to collect 53 Bowman Color as I think they are the most beautiful cards I have seen.