Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

My Tudor Portrait Set is 2/3rds Complete! (update)

My goal is to get a Henry VII facing bust groat (realistic portrait type) and a Philip & Mary shilling or sixpence to complete the Tudor portrait set.

Henry VIII Groat, second coinage, 1526-1544, mm rose.

Edward VI base Shilling, second period, mm Y Southwark, MDLIX (1549)

Mary Groat, pic is dealers photo, I will be taking my own shortly.

Elizabeth Shilling, fifth coinage, mm key, 1595-1598

Comments

• Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    Cool coins! I may end up getting some shillings from the same period for my Reformation collection. Are the shillings from Henry VIII through Elizabeth expensive in fine and above (assuming I don't care about the varieties)?
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, those are great.

What about the fat, old, gout-ridden Henry VIII? You gonna get him, too?

<< <i>I've given up collecting US completely. English hammered is far more interesting! >>

Well, duh? Tell us something we don't already know! image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That Henry VIII groat is one of the nicest that I have seen! Not the "fat, old, gout-ridden Henry VIII" that m'Lord describes. For that portrait, you will have to look for a postumous (spelling?) issue, or one of the quite expensive later issues.
    I love the Edward VI profiles. As for Mary Tudor, there are few pleasing portraits around, but you will have to look at quite a few.
    Nice Elizabeth portraits should be relatively easy to find.

Have you considered the Edward VI horsies (what I call the crown and half crown)? I find that style fascinating.
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options

<< <i>Cool coins! I may end up getting some shillings from the same period for my Reformation collection. Are the shillings from Henry VIII through Elizabeth expensive in fine and above (assuming I don't care about the varieties)? >>

"shillings" from Henry VII and VIII are really called testoons and both monarchs are super expensive. You almost never see a Henry VII and if you do, it will be upwards of $10,000. You occasionally see Henry VIII testoons in low grade for $2000-$3000.

Edward VI coins are the first called shillings. His profile base issues, like the one above, are rare and always weakly struck and on incomplete flans. Edward VI fine silver shillings with the 3/4 portrait are fairly common and decent ones can be had for a couple of hundred dollars.

Mary didn't issue shillings during her sole reign. Philip & Mary shillings were issued with facing busts and are rare, especially in nice condition. The Henry testoons are the only issues rarer.

Elizabeth shillings are by far the commonest of the Tudors but are also almost always weakly struck. You can get an average struck example, which almost never shows her portrait very well, for less than $100.

Hope that helps!
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice coins... I still don't have a Mary groat or a Philip & Mary Shilling either... keep up the search.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

<< <i>

Have you considered the Edward VI horsies (what I call the crown and half crown)? I find that style fascinating. >>

Yes, very cool also. If I continue to specialize in the Tudor era, I will definately be getting a crown at some point.
  • Options
    very cool coins. Thanks for sharing. image
    currently owned by 5 Labradors

Blaze - Yellow male b 3/17/93
    Onyx - Black male b 3/7/99
    Duchess - Yellow female mix b 3/12/02 rescued 9/18/02
    Rifle - Yellow male mix b 12/1/02 rescued 8/8/03
    Diamond - Black female b 5/3/05 adopted 8/3/05

First Cam-slam - 9/21/04

My eBay
  • Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    I really like your Henry VIII groat!
  • Options

<< <i>What about the fat, old, gout-ridden Henry VIII? You gonna get him, too? >>

You mean this guy? image

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Donovan:

The Edward VI shillings have moved up in value and acouple hundred does not go as far as it did three-four years ago. The earlier Edward VI shillings can be very tough in VF.

The Henry VIII groat you pictured is quite attractive as is the Elizabeth Shilling.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    That is a great period for English coinage, keep after it and you'll have a hell of a collection to show for it!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    I have a particular fondness for Queen Mary coins and so i keep any eye on them.

I can point you in the direction of a whole lotta nice Queen Mary stuff ... (although the prices are all in pounds sterling, i'm sure they'd accept dollars too)

MCHAMMERED is based in the US anyhow...

This kinda thing any good?

LINK
  • Options

<< <i>Have you considered the Edward VI horsies (what I call the crown and half crown)? I find that style fascinating. >>

Like this?

(That's also for sale!) I wouldn't mind that one myself...
  • Options

<< <i>I have a particular fondness for Queen Mary coins and so i keep any eye on them.

I can point you in the direction of a whole lotta nice Queen Mary stuff ... (although the prices are all in pounds sterling, i'm sure they'd accept dollars too)

MCHAMMERED is based in the US anyhow...

This kinda thing any good?

LINK >>

I have the link to online coins. Any others you have would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • Options
    Here sometimes turns some good stuff up... (watch the prices though).

And check out the Phillip and Mary Sixer!

Tudor

Also i'm sure you'll have heard of Colin Cooke? (He should have some quality stuff in... no bargins though that i can promise).
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Have you considered the Edward VI horsies (what I call the crown and half crown)? I find that style fascinating. >>

I have... I've always wanted one!

But like the Athenian Owl tetradrachm I have always wanted, I want my first to be a nice one, and those don't come cheap.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    I must go against most of the collecting population here cos i always wanted an Edward VI crown but i always wanted a gold one! I think the gold ones are nicer anyhow, smaller which i like and erm gold... which i like!

Anyone ever seen one though?
  • Options
    that Edward VI piece is especially tough! Somewhere out there is a Lady Jane coin (ruled 9 days in 1553) and I'm going to find it!!
    At least according to the 1986 movie they're out there.
  • Options
    I've never heard of a Lady Jane Grey coin.
  • Options
    You have to watch that 1986 Lady Jane movie-- a big plot point in that movie is that they strike Lady Jane shillings of good silver.
    They even show the coin in the movie (surely it's not a fake coin they're showing)
  • Options
    Some very choice coins in this thread. I only have a few early and medieval coins myself, but more will be added to the collection in time...

Marcel
    Ebay user name: 00MadMuffin00
  • Options

<< <i>Some very choice coins in this thread. I only have a few early and medieval coins myself, but more will be added to the collection in time...

Marcel >>

Exactly the same situ here!
  • Options
    That's a very nice collection.
  • Options
    Updated.