Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Card shops in Toronto

I'm in Toronto for for eight days. Where are all the good card shops? Shows? image

Comments

• Options
    There is one on Yonge street (Fastball Sportscards) that is VERY overpriced. Every card they have is "Gem Mint".......

Depends on what you want to get...wax etc? All the shops I see around here stink...full of yugio pokiman crap. No real good singles unless your looking for a hacked up Mark Messier rookie for $250Cdn.

Here's the location of the place I buy wax....decent prices but nothing really with singles....

Untouchables Sports Cards & Gaming
    Central Parkway Mall
    377 Burnhamthorpe Rd. E.
    Mississauga
    CB4
  • Options
    Isn't there one SW of Fastball? Its on an E/W street not far from Wayne Gretzky's. I don't recall the name but its on a corner lot, hardwood floors, by a theatre.

Anyone?

• Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    AJSPORTSCARDS very nice selection but bring your wallet because he ain't cheap and doesn't give deals. he didn't when i bought cards from him at shows?
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    Unfortunately, I didn't make it to the card shops, but here are suggestions I got:

Link to my post
  • Options
    Fastball is terrible. I've been there a few times. The guy there Steve is a real %#$%#%#$ he will treat you as if you're an idiot. He did this with every single person I saw in there. he talks fast to try to mislead you. He is overpriced. If you ever want a refund from him, you will not get it. If you ask about cards he doesn't have, he will fall one step short of calling you an idiot for collecting it. He'll claim that set is garbage, whatever set it is you like if he doesn't have it. He is not a good guy. This is all from my experience with him, (I will testify it in any court or notorize it if I had to) not hearsay like some people like to spread.
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭

<< <i> Isn't there one SW of Fastball? Its on an E/W street not far from Wayne Gretzky's. I don't recall the name but its on a corner lot, hardwood floors, by a theatre. >>

I'm pretty sure you mean Legends of the Game. It's been a while since I've been there but I recall it was a pretty nice store.
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure Legends of the Game shut down.

As for Fastball...yea Steve is a fast talker and is full of $Hit. His father (the old guy) is the one I really dislike. Total BS. What I like is I drop by and give them a few tips (on what products to buy in basketball and what's in there) and then when I show up the next time I hear word for word what I told them. It's pretty funny.....

Worst thing was when I walked in with a OPC Steve Yzerman RC (was in Mint condition with 50/50 centering but light surface wrinkle). Steve's father had a OC Yzerman with dinged corners for 150% Beckett. I asked what he would give for my Yzerman which anyone could see was in better condition. The man absolutly refused to make an offer! All I heard was...."What do you want for it?" All I wanted was an offer and we could go from there. Basically I've seen the old man work before....he wants me to say like $10 for it as some other suckers have and then he will offer $5. I was ready to lose it with this guy......since I'm really easy to deal with ( have dealt with big $$$ at shows with good dealers).

Basically you can go to Fastball if you want a good laugh. This guy doesn't believe in graded cards....all his crap is Gem Mint (even though you can see it's not a mile away. Over priced.....

Untouchables at least has decent wax with average prices. Everything else stinks here......Well there is no hockey and Vince Carter wants to leave Toronto......sigh....at least Football is on......
    CB4
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭
    As I recall, though, Fastball had a decent supply of uncut sheets (if that's your thing). Didn't know (and probably didn't want to) know their prices.
  • Options
    Redheart, you're correct, Steve has a ton of uncut sheets, including a 1990 opc premier hockey.

Wincecarder
    I know what you mean with the offer crap. They are hoping you are a junkie going in there do get whatever you can so you can buy a dime bag. He gave me the old "did you know PSA switches card " speech. I've been there 3 different times and each time he had no clue who I was. For him, each time, that was the first time I entered. He probably just sees pigeon heads whenever anyone enters in there, that's why he repeats what you say. I should go in there next time and record him making his PSA speech and send it over to PSA and they can use it in a defamation of character lawsuit. Please, PSA is a multi million dollar company, why would they risk their reputaion switching cards. The guy is lowclass.. he also doesn't like people paying with credit cards because then he has to report it. People like Steve are the pioneers of the %^(#&#^%#^% sterotype of card dealers. 2 other real so and so's I can come up with were two guys in New York. One guy owned a place called action comics. I don't know if this place still exosts, or if this guy is even still alive. I remember dealing with him back in 1987 and he was such a piece of crap. Another place in New York was Collector's Stadium. The owner their was a real piece of work. He sells on ebay now. He closed the store in 1998 because people didn't want to be ripped off anymore. wah wah. Vince. Private message me. I have a juicy story about Steve that I don't want to post up here.
  • Options
    Babble image
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options
    Okie dokie, I guess I won't be buying any cards while I'm here but I'll visit Fastball and pee in the store and leave.
  • Options
    Garret

Check out Legends of the game, it is on the northeast corner of King and Peter st. While they did have a considerable downsizing last year, I'm fairly certain that they are still open. They have a decent selection of all sports mostly EX - NRMT. This includes 50's - 70's baseball, football and hockey. They also have a nice selection of memoribilia ie: ticket stubs, game used sticks etc. If it is graded cards you are looking for, you won't find any here. You could also check out the Antique market around the corner as some of the vendors sometimes will have a vintage card or two. It is open 6 days a week.

If it is graded cards you are looking for, AJ's is the only place in town. They are about 20 miles Northeast of downtown. While not cheap, they've got the goods.

These are the ONLY two shops in the city worth your time.

Hope this helps

Rob...

Edited for location...

Collecting PSA Vintage Hockey
  • Options
    Yea....I've heard about AJ's....just have never gone to it. They do have graded cards though....some nice stuff...especially if your into hockey.....I wonder how well hockey will sell now that there won't be a season. Might get a deal.
    CB4
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    Rob - How are you doing?

No question, AJ has the material but the prices are high.

Rob - Have you noticed that AJ has less vintage in his inventory than he used to have? No C56's or C57's , only a few C55's etc.
  • Options
    Hi Albie

I'm doing great. As far as AJ's vintage inventory go's, perhaps the pre-war well is beginning to show signs of drying up.

On the subject of card shops, are there any decent card shops in the Hamilton area? if so, do any of them
    carry graded vintage hockey?

See you at the fall EXPO.

Hope all is well...

Rob..
    Collecting PSA Vintage Hockey
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    Rob - No stores of any significance that carry graded cards.

Tommy's Coin and Stamp Hut, on King Street near Sherman, used to have unbelievable material and great prices but he is strictly into stamps and coins now.
    Westend sportstop (near Main and Ottawa) is good for modern cards and good prices but very little vintage.
    Tally's sportscards is in the Fennell plaza and he has a big selection but very little graded. He has a decent vintage selection but lower grades.

Nothing else worth mentioning although the guy who owned NASA grading used to have a store. Also Ang Savelli, the king of Cards, the man with a Wagner used to have a store as well but alas, now you will only see him at the Expo.