Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Question for Basic Player Set Collectors

Can parallel issues (e.g., 1993 UD Gold Hologram cards) be registered in Basic Player set instead of regular issues (e.g., 1993 UD)? There is currently a Wade Boggs cards I am thinking of getting to add to my set, but I only want to get if it will register in my basic player set of him.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Mike

Comments

• Not as far as I know.
  • I think so PSA's system doesnt know the diffrence and will allow it. Good Luck on the auction. I am watching it aswell 75.00 is too much.

James
    x
  • pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    i dont think they're supposed to go into the basic sets.. not if the flip has the correct identification that indicates its a parallel issue..

if the card was holdered wrong, then probably so..
    ·p_A·
  • I think you can register Tiffany (Topps and Bowman) and Glossy (like Fleer 1987-89) cards as their counterparts. A guy on the Brett Basic registry had a 1986 Topps Brett PSA 9 registered long before any 9 was graded of the base card. I e-mailed him regarding a possible transaction and also asked him if the 1986 was an error or if he had one that was not accounted for in the pop report. His answer was that he had registered a Topps Tiffany card. In fact, he said he had registered several Tiffany cards and Glossy cards as their regular counterparts in the basic. He has since retired and disbanded his set. I don't know if that can still be done, but I don't see why not. But, I have not tried it myself. Although I am quite tempted with the stupid 1990 Bowman Brett.

Thanks

Randy
    Always buying George Brett Gem Mint Cards!
  • 1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    I think you can register Tiffany (Topps and Bowman) and Glossy (like Fleer 1987-89) cards as their counterparts

That is correct.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • I hadn't known that it was possible to register parallels on the basic sets.

For myself, I would not chose to do so, as it seems counter to the basic set's ability to be less inclusive.

Peter G.
    Always looking for PSA 9 or better Alan Trammell basic set cards. Visit my Trammell card web site at "www.trammellcards.com"
  • hi all,

psa will generally let the actual people in the registry decide what cards they want in basic or master.

thats why some sets include a certain card and some sets don`t.

most anytime a set registrant requests that a certain card(s) be included or moved or deleted, psa will take a poll (votes) among only the set registrants to get votes to see if thats what the majority of the set registrants wants.

its happened on the nolan ryan and johnny bench master sets that i know of.

psa really wants the sets to be, what the actual collectors want them to be.

your friend, lee
  • Here is what I found out...

Officially -- Only regular issue cards can be registered in the basic player sets. Parallels, refractors and the like can only be used in master player sets if there is a spot for that card. That's the response I got via email when I asked that specific question of PSA.

Unofficially -- It appears that you can registry at least some parallels and refractors in the basic player sets. I took the certification number of the card in question and temporary added it to my set. The database took the card. However, I don't know if it would have made it through the review once submitted to PSA because I didn't try that since it isn't my card.

Just thought I would pass the information along...

Mike
  • jimtbjimtb Posts: 704 ✭✭
    It seems like a registering a parrallel card in the basic registry is cheating the system to me. For late 80's and 90's cards, it is often easier to find graded examples of the Tiffanys and Glossys than it is to find a graded basic card. Then again, each set of collectors for a player can decide what they want to do.
    Jim
    Collecting all graded Alan Trammell graded cards as well as graded 1984 Topps, Donruss, and Fleer Detroit Tigers