Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Mastronet's uncut HOCKEY sheets on ebay ?

There is a 1969-70 opc #24 Bobby Orr on ebay
in BVG 9. There is also a low series checklist
from the same series in BVG 9.

There is also a 1966 topps Gordie Howe in BVG 9.

Comments

• Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    looks liek the 68 and 69 opc baseball sheets were cut up too, it's too bad as those were nice pieces that will probably not surface again. anyone dealt with this guy or know who he is?
  • Options
    Marc, is it unlikely that these could be crossed into PSA holders? I don't see that many BVG holders on ebay unless there is the 'hint' of sheet cut in their history.

dan
    The first person in the PSA universe to complete the 1969 OPC
    Hockey set! Always looking to buy, trade or upgrade 1966 Topps to 1969 OPC.
  • Options
    Dan,

It is IMPOSSIBLE for these to cross into PSA holders.

They will come back as evidence of trimming from PSA.

I'm so happy that PSA has kept to this policy of not
    grading cut sheets. Although some have slipped through
    the cracks, (i.e. 1974 OPC Bobby Orr 1/2). They usually
    catch most of them. So the word IMPOSSIBLE may be too strong
    and not accurate. I guess some guys will still try to sneak some through.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Dan,

It is IMPOSSIBLE for these to cross into PSA holders.

They will come back as evidence of trimming from PSA.

I'm so happy that PSA has kept to this policy of not
    grading cut sheets. Although some have slipped through
    the cracks, (i.e. 1974 OPC Bobby Orr 1/2). They usually
    catch most of them. So the word IMPOSSIBLE may be too strong
    and not accurate. I guess some guys will still try to sneak some through. >>

Marc -

Never say impossible. All major grading companies have let sheet cut cards through at one time or another. Beckett doesn't care, as long as it measures properly. PSA and SGC make a policy of not grading sheet-cut cards - but it certainly does happen. The tell-tale signs are much easier to identify with OPC cards, for example - and probably less so with something like 1982 Fleer...
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    I am actually surprised at the quality of Beckett's graders. I brought a Cracker Jack card to the last national that previously came back from PSA as evidence of trimming. The card matches up perfectly in size to other Cracker Jacks so I figured there might be a slight chance of an error. I tried it through Beckett. They also said evidence of trimming. So I assume now that it is. I was impressed that they caught it because they normally deal in mountains of new stuff. Nice thing though is that I was working with one of the supervisors(?) and he put me at the front of the line. At first he told me a 2 hour wait and I told him I was getting ready to leave and he rushed it through for me, it took 15 minutes. It seemed like he was really desperate to have a high grade pre war card in a BVG holder. It's really too bad because the card looked perfect and had zero carmel stains, which is kind of rare. It looked like a 9. I showed the card to MW before I submitted it to get his opinion since I know he deals in a lot of pre war stuff. I've never met him before and he seemed like a really nice guy. Go figure.
  • Options
    rvcrvc Posts: 559 ✭✭
    what a sin to cut up those sheets!!!

bobby
    Bob
  • Options

<< <i>the card looked perfect and had zero carmel stains, which is kind of rare. >>

given today's cleaning techniques and if you hadnt noticed the recent
    cracker jacks @ auction i'ld say it's kind of rare to have a normal somewhat
    caramel bordered cracker jack!.
    Money is your ticket to freedom.
  • Options
    The one thing that i've kind of wondered...

Is there a legitimate way that you could take an uncut sheet. Have it cut, and then graded by PSA?

Or are you simply stuck with an uncut sheet?
    Collector of T201 Mecca double folders. Graded and Raw...
  • Options

<< <i>The one thing that i've kind of wondered...

Is there a legitimate way that you could take an uncut sheet. Have it cut, and then graded by PSA?

Or are you simply stuck with an uncut sheet? >>

Well, theoretically - if you had the same type of cutting equipment that was used by Topps/OPC/Fleer whoever, at the time the sheet was produced - how could anyone tell the difference?

For example - on the 1970s OPC cards, though - that was a very old, unsophisticated way of cutting that likely could not be easily reproduced today. Maybe if you had the sheet and tried to cut it with a spoon. But the whole issue is taking a sheet from 20-30 or however many years ago - and then cutting it today with better technology, better attention, etc. than was ever paid at the time of production.

~ms
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    MS is right in theory. If you can get the same cutting techniques you might be able to get away with it, but you would have to hold on to the card for a while before submitting it. A fresh cut will give eveidence on close inspection. As for how PSA spots them, they look at the how strong the cut is. If it has a perfect extremely razor sharp cut, they will probably mark it trimmed. Take almost any PSA 10 card and magnify the corners, then take a Beckett 9.5 and compare the corner. The PSA 10 corners will almost never be as sharp as the Beckett. They also look at the edges and how hard the cut it, other thatn the freshly cut evidence that will show up.
  • Options

<< <i>MS is right in theory. If you can get the same cutting techniques you might be able to get away with it, but you would have to hold on to the card for a while before submitting it. A fresh cut will give eveidence on close inspection. As for how PSA spots them, they look at the how strong the cut is. If it has a perfect extremely razor sharp cut, they will probably mark it trimmed. Take almost any PSA 10 card and magnify the corners, then take a Beckett 9.5 and compare the corner. The PSA 10 corners will almost never be as sharp as the Beckett. They also look at the edges and how hard the cut it, other thatn the freshly cut evidence that will show up. >>

Also - Topps factory direct dealers from back int he day probably have examples that could possibly have razor corners - and not really have ever been put inside a vending box, rack case, wax pack, etc.
  • Options
    The GAI 9.5 Bobby Orr 66-67 rookie card that sold for 10,000 is not one of a kind anymore there is a BVG 9.5 available. A huge buyer in Chicago was offered the BVG 9.5 but the selling price is quite large. Nevertheless the prices for these sheet cut cards have yet to be established and the future will tell what the trading value shall be quite likely as with anything, when inventory is too much deflation occurs.
    love to buy sell or trade graded hockey stars only, please to meet you and happy collecting
  • Options
    Keith Olberman said that many of the high grade 1966 Topps test cards were sheet cut, but I've never seen any of the BVG graded, just PSA. WHo knows?