Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Just Completed Japanese Trade Dollar Set

I just completed the shortest set in the world.....the 3 year Japanese Trade dollar set (1875, 76 and 77). Short but wicked tough. Took me 8 years to find MS examples. Just wanted to share.....

keoj

Comments

• Options

<< <i>I just completed the shortest set in the world.....the 3 year Japanese Trade dollar set (1875, 76 and 77). Short but wicked tough. Took me 8 years to find MS examples. Just wanted to share.....

keoj >>

image DROOL!, DROOL!, DROOL! Where are the picturesimage

Roy

• Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    Where did you get your Meiji 8 (1875)?
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I knew this post would draw the Shirohsnake out of its hole. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Where's the images?
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    CONGRATS!

I gotta chime in too....we want pix!
  • Options
    keojkeoj Posts: 980 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the interest......I'll try to get pics up in a week or so. The following are the grades - 1875 NCG-62, 1876 NGC-63, 1877 PCGS-62.

Shiro, the 1875 came from someone in Seattle through eBay a couple of years ago.

keoj
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations! I can't wait to see the pics.
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    The shortest set in the world? There are plenty of one-year sets, no?
  • Options

<< <i>The shortest set in the world? There are plenty of one-year sets, no? >>

Indeed there are, but they aren't "sets". The real question is, how many two-year sets are there?

Besides, if you include those with the right and left Gin countermarks, the Trade Dollar set is really nine coins.image
    Roy

• Options
    so, you do a set of 1 coin.......set? series? denomination? imagewhatever

set of 2 coins set

set of 3 coins set

set of 4 coins set

etc....

hmmmmmmmmmmmm
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The shortest set in the world? There are plenty of one-year sets, no? >>

I believe he was referring to sets of trade dollars. Actually, Japan is tied with Hong Kong for only having struck them for 3 years. It's an interesting coincidence that the Japanese government bought the British equipment from Hong Kong in order to strike their own trade dollars, yen, and other modern coins. So the same machines that struck the Hong Kong dollars from 1866 to 1868 struck Japanese trade dollars from 1875 to 1877.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    Congratulations!! That certainly was no easy task! image
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image