Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Why did this card sell for $100 ???

Why did this card sell for $100 ? SMR doesn't suggest any great rarity in this grade.
Do you think it was a couple of registry dudes goin at it ?
Link
Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"

Comments

• Options
    Pop report shows only 12 copies of the Rivers in Mint 9.
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    Two bidders wanted it. The third bidder was at $40.
  • Options
    RobBobGolfRobBobGolf Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    I have lost a few auctions recently to girlmaverick. This bidder does not seem to own a SMR. Thinking about e-mailing for their want-list so I can get while the gettin is good.

RobBob
    Serving Ice-Custard-Happiness since 2006

• Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    I get SMR every month, but I still have to bid far far above SMR to win certain cards, and I get others for much less than SMR. I have come to the conclusion that SMR is clueless about certain cards, or just has not been updated for those cards in a very long time. I know SMR is "just a guide," as people say, but the fact is that it's woefully out to lunch on some cards. Examples of SMR and the actual marketplace being on different planets:

1981 Topps #600 Bench PSA 9 -- SMR $12, actual eBay sales $150-$300 several times this year.
    1980 Topps #482 Henderson PSA 9 -- SMR $180, actual eBay sales $250+ all year long, higher at some dealers.
    1964 Topps Giants #51 Willie Mays PSA 9 -- SMR $1250, actual eBay sale $535 (I bought this one).
    1989 Donruss Rookies #43 Randy Johnson PSA 10 -- SMR was $95 until recently, but they rarely brought more than $35.
  • Options
    girlmaverick notoriously chases Mets and Yankees cards with strong bids. If he/she is in it, the hammer will be higher than normal.
    RayBShotz
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • Options
    Two guys wanted it real bad.
  • Options
    2 things about the SMR. The prices aren't updated, probably because they don't keep track of ebay auctions, and that could be because they may pay more attention to private sales. Also, the SMR has prices of some cards that don't exist in those grades, so they are making up prices. You really can't use the SMR as a guide anymore. You're best bet is to just follow ebay auctions to get the true going rates, or the rates going at that moment.
  • Options
    The Rivers is really pretty tough. $100 is in line for it if it's nice. I own a pair of the 9's and have passed over three copies that were garbage. I know the whereabouts of two other nice copies...that leaves very few nice copies.

<< <i> ...have lost a few auctions recently to girlmaverick. This bidder does not seem to own a SMR. >>

You can't be serious. SMR?!?! You're relying on the SMR!?!?! Girlmaverick (Andy Deally) pays strong prices for what he wants, but that price-guide is so out of touch (and has always been in most cases) it's absurd. I will, upon completing my set, put together a REAL guide for the '77 set and educated set-builders should do the same for the years they collect. We know what's difficult and a slam-dunk, etc. SMR...that's a good one! image

dgf