Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What the heck did I do wrong?

I was trying to sell a 2002 Finest Harrington RC on eBay. It's the "gold" version numbered to 25. A raw one sold for $350, and another raw one ends tonight, and it looks like it'll go for $300+. I doubt any of these are "gem-mint" as they're condition sensitive. I tried to sell mine graded BGS 8.5 and it got no looks for $260 - and it ended hours after the Lions went 2-0! Should I crack it out of the holder and sell it raw?

Brian

Comments

• Options
    Cracking it out of the case and selling it raw would be dishonest, slimy, sneaky, and very unproffessional. A true lack of decency.

So yes, do it that way.

To be serious now, I would crack it out. Some people like to think that they will get a BGS 10 when they buy ungraded cards off Ebay. Just state that it is Nrmt-Nrmt+ condition, and you aren't really doing anything wrong. You may get more as a raw card. Besides, someone might send it into PSA and get a 9 anyway. Beckett is tough on surface alot more than PSA.

TheRoach

7 MVP awards, the single season HR record, career walks record, single season walks record, 700HR/500SB, and two batting titles near 40 years old. How can one argue that those aren't stats of the greatest to ever play the game??? All this and there is still more to come!!!! Bonds:2005 NL MVP. Or are you going to doubt him again?
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    yes it would of been better cracked out, only condition sensitive issues benifit from 8.5 grades. The
    only prob is that if you sell again people are going to know it is the same card. Im curious, how long
    ago did beckett grade this?

Kevin
  • Options
    Thanks for the input. The number is 0002576312 if that helps JS - I don't know when it was graded. I bought it in the offseason after reading reports that the Lions would be halfway decent or better this year. The raw prices commanded have been strong (50% increase) in just a couple of months.

Brian

edit to add - I looked it up - it was graded July 7, 2003. Does that imply anything?

• Options
    SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭
    The card was graded in July of 2003. I'm not sure why joestalin asked about the date, but I always look for star 80's rc's that were graded by BGS a few years ago when they were more strict. Some of those bgs 8.5's look gem mint.

Anyhow, as already stated, a raw card would sell better. I've even seen raw cards outsell PSA 9's.
  • Options
    SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭
    Here's an example I just looked up: raw spx pujols

PSA 9 Pujols

And this one really blew me away: BGS 9 Pujols

Why the hell would the BGS 9 sell for so much more? The only high subgrade was for centering and it's a borderless card! A PSA 10 only sells for about $100 more. Sheesh.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I tried to sell mine graded BGS 8.5 and it got no looks for $260 >>

Good information on the Pujols David.
    Brian
    I am inferring that you opened this for $260 with no takers? I believe an auction will get more play if you start it at .99 and let it fly IMO.
    And I agree, the 8.5 in a new issue just doesn't look as good as a 9 or 10.
    BTW, how was the game Sunday?
    Raiders won!!!! image

your friend
    Mike
    Mike