Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Quite a penny !!

To be honest - I'm quite surprised I have not seen this mentioned here. Perhaps it has been and I've just missed it. But on the chance it has not been mentioned - here it is - from Spink.

Even if you could never hope to own such a coin - THIS ONE is worth looking at image

Sale 4018 Lot 493

Coenwulf, King of Mercia (796-821), Gold penny or Mancus of 30 pence, 4.33g., London, diademed bust of Coenwulf right, finely drawn with four horizontal lines on the shoulders, dividing obverse legend, coenvvlf rex m (rounded) beginning at 12 o'clock, rev. de vico lvndoniae around rosette developed from a cross over a cross moline, no inner circles, initial cross of four wedges with centre pellet on both sides (MEC -; N -; S -), a magnificent coin of superb workmanship, save for a minute scratch in the field before face, in mint state on a full round carefully prepared flan, with an attractive golden tone and red highlights, of the greatest historical importance, unique

To see the pics just do a search of the current auction - English hammered gold.

LINK
knowledge ........ share it

Comments

• Couldn't find the diameter mentioned anywhere, but from the weight I'm guessing it's about U.S. nickle-size.

I can't help wondering, however, if it might not be a hoax along the lines of some of the "early man" skeletons that have been found, and ultimately de-bunked. Found with a metal detector along a river footpath?
    Roy

• Possible of course - but I rather doubt it. If there was any question about authenticity I don't think Spink would hang their hat out for 150,000 pounds.
  • MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭
    image Maybe it was made in Eureka Springs, AR!! image

Looks awful nice, eh!!???

I also seriously doubt that it's fake.....but, if I had 150K quid, I would rather get very cozy with Vicky instead... image
  • 1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Sorry, I simply couldn't find the coin (or any coin for that matter).

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • somewhere out there, an ebay bidder is hoping to get it for a dollar!
  • CoulportCoulport Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Sorry, I simply couldn't find the coin (or any coin for that matter). >>

Took me two tries.
    You have two fields to work. The first requires the appropriate sale and the second the lot.
    The most money I made are on coins I haven't sold.

Got quoins?
  • I'd rather have an Henry III gold penny...
  • farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    I remember reading about the find when it was announced. The dream of every amateur medal detectorist! image
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What, posting a picture or a direct link to the page won't work? Guess we're about to find out.

Very cool. Wish they'd used some paragraphing on that description, though- it's hard to read, the way it's all run together.

Hope I never find anything like that with my detector, 'cause it'd be the last thing I found. If I didn't die from the shock of the find, I'd figure "well, I'll never find anything of this caliber again, so I quit!". image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

• << <i>What, posting a picture or a direct link to the page won't work? Guess we're about to find out. >>

Nope it won't - already tried that image

As for posting the pic - well I knew you'd come along sooner or later image

Thanks for the help there Rob image
  • AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Very interesting! I'll have more comments later, but that is quite a coin.

BTW - The following was recorded in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicles about our dear Coenwulf:

AD 798 - "Coenwulf, king of Mercia, ravaged the Kentish people. Their king Praen was taken, and they led him bound into Mercia and had his eyes put out and his hands cut off."
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    Auction ended. This coin set a new record for British coins!
    (Always cool to see coin stories pop up on My Yahoo image )

1,200-Year-Old Coin Goes for $409,000

LONDON - A 1,200-year-old Anglo-Saxon penny sold for $409,000 Wednesday, setting what the auction house said was a new world record for the most expensive British coin.

Spink auction house had expected the 0.15-ounce gold coin to fetch between $214,000 and $267,000.

American collector Allan Davisson purchased the coin, which was found in 2001 by an amateur searcher using a metal detector near the River Ivel in Bedfordshire, north of London.

It is the only known coin to bear the name of King Coenwulf of Mercia, who ruled a region of southern England from 796 to 821.

The previous auction record for a British coin was a gold piece bearing an image of George III's crown, which sold for $303,000 in 1999, Spink said.
  • Who gets the money, the finder or did he have to turn over to government?
  • spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    Don't know for sure. I thought the UK lets the finder keep the money up to a certain and quite respectable point and pockets the rest.. but I could be wrong. Wish the article would've mentioned that..
  • MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭
    image On second thought, that coin just looks like it would be easy to fake for a skilled engraver.
  • farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    I wonder if Allen is keeping the coin or was representing the buyer??? He has been buying and selling hammered English gold for a number of years.

I wonder if he will have it for display at the local show this month?
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm