Home U.S. Coin Forum

Do you think this Flying Eagle coin has gone to high?

I was thinking about this coin, and
First, is that a corrosion spot on the reverse at about 7 o'clock right up aganst the wreath.
Would you think that would keep it from being PCGS slabbed?
Second is the current auction price and reserve too high now?
Thanks
Link

Comments

• ERER Posts: 7,345
    That 's all I 'm paying, $260.
  • I'd say it's already too high. Sellers reserve is ridiculous if it hasn't been met yet.
  • VF30?!?!?!?!?
    cant they tell a weak strike from actual circulation wear?
    guess not.

i think its more 45-50.
    maybe strike does matter,depending on who submitted it. image
  • goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    Looks accurately graded to me and an EDS to boot.

I'd buy them all day in that shape for 260.

I would guess the reserve is roughly 3x what the current bid is.

I think Eagle Eye recently sold an EF40PCGS EDS one and if I recall correctly, asking price 1250.00.

• how can you tell its early die state? smooth(er) fields?
    i,m obviously out of practice grading. image
    I believe that I can see the flag of the underlying 7 even in that small pic.
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just another eBay "auction" with an excessive reserve. I have no idea what PCGS would do about the corrosion spot on the reverse.
    All glory is fleeting.

<< <i>Just another eBay "auction" with an excessive reserve. I have no idea what PCGS would do about the corrosion spot on the reverse. >>

Excessive???image

without knowing the reserve, I don't know how anyone can make that statement.
    As I said above in short, an EDS 8/7 FE is worth quite a premium and this one is worth quite a bit more than 260.
  • Hummm. . .that makes it very interesting. A good possibility that it
    is a EDS variety. That would explain the high reserve then. I hadn't thought about that.
    Thanks to all of you, your inputs as always, is most valued by me.
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Just another eBay "auction" with an excessive reserve. I have no idea what PCGS would do about the corrosion spot on the reverse. >>

Excessive???image

without knowing the reserve, I don't know how anyone can make that statement.
    As I said above in short, an EDS 8/7 FE is worth quite a premium and this one is worth quite a bit more than 260. >>

To some it is worth a premium...and to some it is not. To me it is just another minor variety that has been hyped. If you want to collect minor varieties that have not been hyped, I suggest shield nickels. There are hundreds of them, many quite interesting.
    All glory is fleeting.
    to anyone that collects Flying Eagle cents, the Early Die State is worth a premium as opposed to one that does not have all of the diagnostics showing.
  • shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a nice MS64, if your interested. It will cost you less than the 65 and is an earlier die stateimageimage

Here's a comparison of the S1 and the S7 (on the right).

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko, Big Moose.
  • Thanks for the offer, it's a super nice coin, but I'll have to pass for the time being.
    I sort of hate using the "I'll Pass" phrase, some people seem to take offense.
    My apologies.
  • ldhairldhair Posts: 7,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    She brought $410.
    Larry

• Pretty amazing I think.
    But then after looking at some of the other auctions shylock showed, it fell into line.
    Unfortunately, I ultimately didn't like that little black spot on the reverse.
    I'll have to get over the sticker shock. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file