Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Bonds 700th HR Ball

I was just watching the guy who has Bonds' 700th Homerun Ball on Fox News. He said he'd like to try to sell the ball to a baseball card company so that it can be cut up and put on cards. EEEEEEK! When will the madness stop? I hope no card company takes him up on it...I hate seeing historic pieces get cut up for cards....Just reminds me of one of many reasons I don't play with the new stuff.

-charlie-

Comments

• Options
    we all know it'll go to the highest bidder, card company or not.
  • Options
    let them chop it up. I don't think it belongs in the same stratosphere as Ruth's 700 th and Aaron's 700th. When Ruth had his 7ooth, no one even had 500, and he was in uncharted territory. I'm sure he would have had more homeruns if the homerun list that exists today existed back then. Hank Aaron had to deal with the racism and constant threats if he kept playing. he may have had a ton more at bats than Ruth, but the price he paid with his safety, and potential loss of it and for his family he earned it. I don't care if there is no proof. I feel that Bonds did steroids. Obviously McGwire did it with Andro. I always felt Bonds was a very good hitter even in his Pirates days, but to hit 73 homeruns in your late 30's, has to raise a red flag even to the biggest Bonds fans. If I didn't have a life and had the time I would look at every single homerun hitter thsat had more than 300 homeruns to see if any of them had an enormous increase in their late 30's from their 20's. it might be tough since a lot of those guys retired a lot younger than Bonds is today.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    we all know it'll go to the highest bidder, card company or not.

well let the bidding begin

I bid 20 bucks that is my max
    Good for you.
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    it won't be going to any of the card companies because BARRY told them all to take a hike and they can't
    make his cards anymore! I think that Asia will be looking to pick this up, perhaps Europe will outbid them
    but you have to watch Australians..they would love to get their hands on this one and take it over there...we
    would never get to see it, or smell it, or kiss it, or sacrifice our kids next to it.

I say we add a few Billion to our nations debt, and give Asia a run for their money. I would rather see this
    ball on display in the oval office, than in some 3 trillion year old temple! Come on all lets chip in!!

I can see my pay stub next month:

Federal Tax:
    State Tax
    FICA
    Buy Barry's Balls Tax

I can't wait for that guy who caught the ball to give a "I am the luckiest man on this earth" speech...Man I
    which I was him!!!!!!!! Oh well, I still have a chance at 800 or 900 or 1000...GO BARRY!!!!!

JS
  • Options
    Although I don't think it will be chopped up, what would be so bad about it? I'd rather have the chance to OWN a piece of history rather than have to travel 2500 miles (San Diego to Cooperstown) to look at it or, even worse, not be able to look at it because it gets tucked away in some rich hoarder's private collection image At least if it was chopped up those who end up with the cards would have the option of keeping them, or selling them on Da Bay to several, slightly less rich hoarders image
    Kobe Who? image At least Dwyane pays proper respect to Da Big Aristotle image

Yes, I collect shiny modern crap image

All your Shaq are belong to me image
  • Options
    Major league baseball should just make a new rule about milestone, or record balls that they have to be given up to prevent this. Like those 2 fools that sued each other and spent more than what the ball sold.
  • Options
    Great so most of it will end up in SoCal and we all know the seller image

Brian
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Upper Deck is ready and willing!

Mike
  • Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    I agree with smellthis... historic balls, as well as significant game memorablia should be property of major league baseball, which would allow them to properly stock Cooperstown with the important things. The person who catches such historic balls would be given recognition as the person who caught the ball, they would be given a number of autographed things from the player who hit the ball, perhaps even a signed picture of the hitter and the fan together, and there would be no financial gain from the sale of any such item. Major league baseball could specifically state on the ticket, which works like a contract, that any fan who catches one of these historic balls would be required to give it up on the spot. Even if the ball was smuggled out, or changed, it would have zero aftermarket value, as MLB would automatically own the rights to it, so it could never be sold publicly. Sort of the same way stolen art works, it's completely worthless except to look at.
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    I think Barry's balls should be in a museum. Who wouldn't want to drive 3000 miles to see Barry's Balls? I can
    see at the beginning of every year instead of watching the ball drop at time square we can watch Barry's balls
    just sitting there.

Balls like these need to be on display, Barry's balls are much more sought after than Mac's or Sosa's balls.

Do the right thing, Museum Barry's Balls!!

JS
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    cut it up.
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    Stone, I see what you mean. I'm going at it the right way. Wink wink nudge nudge.
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    some people would give up their left ball for this ball..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mirror, mirror in my hand
    I'm the badest in the land
    I'm pretty, I'm buff
    roids made me tuff
    800 homers will be enuff

Mike
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭

<< <i>I agree with smellthis... historic balls, as well as significant game memorablia should be property of major league baseball, which would allow them to properly stock Cooperstown with the important things. The person who catches such historic balls would be given recognition as the person who caught the ball, they would be given a number of autographed things from the player who hit the ball, perhaps even a signed picture of the hitter and the fan together, and there would be no financial gain from the sale of any such item. Major league baseball could specifically state on the ticket, which works like a contract, that any fan who catches one of these historic balls would be required to give it up on the spot. Even if the ball was smuggled out, or changed, it would have zero aftermarket value, as MLB would automatically own the rights to it, so it could never be sold publicly. Sort of the same way stolen art works, it's completely worthless except to look at. >>

Sounds pretty drastic to me. I'd say absolutely not to ANY sort of rule about MLB owning balls hit out of the park.

If Barry hadn't been such a jerk to the player base WHO PAYS HIS SALARY then this wouldn't be an issue. Look at the way Ken Griffey Jr. took care of the kid who handed back his 500th HR ball. All sorts of Auto'd stuff, plus 4 passes to the all star game, field level passes at that, accomodations, airfare, the works. Does anyone for a second think Bonds would treat a fan this way?

Neither did I.

I like the idea of cutting it up and putting it on cards. The ball really isn't all that important. Who was at 699 HR? No one. It's a round number, nothing more. HR #716 will be of significance, as that will put him at #2, and if he makes it to 756, then that will be worth more.

That is, until the next generation of ballers get to 800 and beyond, and prove the modern era a joke in terms of career records for HR.

I doubt that any individual is going to spend any significant money on this ball. People as a whole despise Bonds. They despise the way he treats the fans, the disdain he has for the game, and the way he has not gone out of his way to distance himself from the BALCO fiasco. His 73rd HR ball was a joke in the collectible world. Mac's 70th HR ball went for what, over a million? Mac had an obvious love for the game and embraced his fans (exactly the OPPOSITE of Bonds).
  • Options
    despise is a bit drastic. Not liked most many, hated by some. I think there were 2 reasons #73 went for less than 70. #70 had the world watching Mac and Sosa chasing a ghost. It took 47 years to chase that ghost and Mac and Sosa were fan favorites. In Bonds case, is is not liked much unless your last name is Bonds, and he chased a guy that he played against recently. 70 was still fresh and left nice memories. 73 tainted those nice fresh memories.
  • Options
    Hmm, I could use the money if I had it, but I would have been willing to give it back to Bonds for a game used autographed jersey and bat. Once Bonds pass Ruth, #700 will be worthless as people would forget about it when #715 is hit.
  • Options
    milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    I think it should be on display in Cooperstown....right next to a bottle of the steroids he was on.
    ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • Options

I hope the guy sells it quickly and makes good money on it.It would be funny if Barry had to pay big bucks to get it back.Now,that would be something to read about.

Vic
    Please be kind to me. Even though I'm now a former postal employee, I'm still capable of snapping at any time.
  • Options
    personally 700 isn't historically significant enough to warrent taking the ball back and put it in Cooperstown. When he passes Ruth THAT ball and his LAST HR ball are the only two significant enough to warrent something like that. Not that I am downgrading the accomplishment, just saying that the other balls are just homeruns in some regard.

as for an exchange, lifetime season box seats and free consessions for the ball from MLB.
  • Options

<< <i>personally 700 isn't historically significant enough to warrent taking the ball back and put it in Cooperstown. When he passes Ruth THAT ball and his LAST HR ball are the only two significant enough to warrent something like that. Not that I am downgrading the accomplishment, just saying that the other balls are just homeruns in some regard.

as for an exchange, lifetime season box seats and free consessions for the ball from MLB. >>

Why would #715 be more significant than #756?
    “Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>personally 700 isn't historically significant enough to warrent taking the ball back and put it in Cooperstown. When he passes Ruth THAT ball and his LAST HR ball are the only two significant enough to warrent something like that. Not that I am downgrading the accomplishment, just saying that the other balls are just homeruns in some regard.

as for an exchange, lifetime season box seats and free consessions for the ball from MLB. >>

Wh would #715 be more significant than #756? >>

Babe Ruth is a mythical figure. Hank Aaron (unfortunately) is still one of the (in my opinion) most underrated players of all time. Hank Aaron never hit more than 50 HRs in a season, was quiet, unassuming, and (I think) has been overlooked as one of the greatest hitters to ever play the game.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I would think 756 would be a lil more significant then 715, also 700 is also significant as its been done only 3 times in MLB history.
    Good for you.
  • Options
    People also seem to forget that Hank Aaron is an underrated human being. With all he went thru, he is still a good guy. You don't seem him bringing the threats up unless he is asked about them. He can easily go out and say "I am the real homerun king, look what I went through" People are always saying that Babe Ruth is the real homerun king. Hank Aaron doesn't go out their arguing it. Also, look what happened with John Rocker's comments a few years ago. He went and talked privately with him, and helped calm things down with that situation. Has anyone ever heard anything bad about Hank Aaron, I haven't.
  • Options
    jrinckjrinck Posts: 1,321 ✭✭
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    I would never pay to go into the Hall of Fame just to see ANYTHING of Barry Bond's accomplishments. In my opinion, he has been everything a ball player SHOULDNT be. He is bad for the game no matter what he accomplishes. His items belong in the dumpster behind the Hall of Fame.
    Thats just my opinion.
  • Options
    I heard Barry already had his balls cut. A vasectomy back in '94....

image)

TheRoach

7 MVP awards, the single season HR record, career walks record, single season walks record, 700HR/500SB, and two batting titles near 40 years old. How can one argue that those aren't stats of the greatest to ever play the game??? All this and there is still more to come!!!! Bonds:2005 NL MVP. Or are you going to doubt him again?
  • Options
    I say cut it up. Let every kid who asked for his autograph and was told to "beat it" get a whack at it with machete. Then give it back to Barry.

Better yet, give it to the kids to play ball with, film it and call the show Sandlot 2, Revenge of the Bambino.

It’s only the last few years that he has tried to change his image from a total jerk to a regular jerk. A tiger never changes his stripes.

If I caught #756 I would sell it to an eccentric Japanese collector who will hold it in a vault until doomsday.
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I personally like the idea of MLB putting a disclaimer on the backs of tickets whereby the ticket holder agrees to relinquish the ball back to MLB.

This however, would only work with balls that stay in the ballpark/stadium. What happens with balls hit into McCovey Cove or out onto Waveland Ave or Sheffield St in Chicago? How would MLB gain "ownership" of these balls, since the person who catches/retrieves the ball didn't buy a ticket, and theoretically could have just wandered by and happened to be in the right place at the right time? This person would be under no contractual/legal obligation to return the ball.

Steve
  • Options
    This was willing to spend 25k to maybe catch it....did you guys read this by any chance? dodger fan buys bonds