Home U.S. Coin Forum

1795 O.119 Half Dollar Poll

1795 Half O.119 Obverse
1795 Half O.119 Reverse

I would like opinions on the grade for this coin. For those of you who are advanced, please look at the variety and grade it based on knowledge of the variety and its typical strike. I know the coin has been "cleaned", but it is not harshly cleaned, and should grade without any comments. For completeness, there is a small rim bump at 8:00 on the reverse.

This is NOT THE SAME coin as the O.114 I posted earlier.
Ash Harrison

President, Society of Silver Dollar Collectors
Governor, National Silver Dollar Roundtable
President, Ashmore Rare Coins

Comments

• I say VF20
    -George
    42/92
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the coin had VF detail, nets just a little lower at F15+ because of the small dig in the eagle's wing, and the general appearance of the surfaces.

Nice coin! image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The reverse of O.119 is always stronger than the obverse. The portrait has been worn fairly flat with no neck detail, very little nose detail, and the eye socket has limited depth. The leading edge of the hair detail has worn into the portrait with the ear worn smooth. F15 details, not accounting for the cleaning.

Bill
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I looked at the Overton book, in the grading section they use 1795 O.119 as their VF20 example, the Overton coin grades about 5 points higher than this example. So for Overton grading standards, which is what I use, F15 details is right for this coin.

This is a difficult series to grade, as many varieties appear to have split grades, various die states, etc...

Bill
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • The wing ding (I made a funny) keeps this from being a 20. I had to be harsh and say 12, but then, that's why I could never be a professional grader. Too nitpicky so I consistently undergrade. I'd lose my shirt if I ever sold any raw coins. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file