Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1987 Topps Bonds Goes For $200?

I don't get it - I saw this auction on ebay. I thought maybe it was a fluke, but a BGS 9.5 just went for a little more.

I don't have access to the pop report, but an '86 Topps Traded Bonds PSA 10 goes for around $200 and it books for four times as much raw. Is the '87 Topps really that much more condition sensitive or has it just been graded less frequently? I would've expected a 10 to sell for about $70.

Last year I sold about 50 of those cards in lots for $4 each and most of them were mint. I didn't know I was squandering off the family fortune, lol.

Comments

• Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    2,300 1986 Topps Traded graded PSA 10. 165 1986 Topps Traded Tiffany graded PSA 10. Only 122 1987 Topps graded PSA 10.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    looks slightly oc left to right..

edit - and top to bottom..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    PSA 10s from '87 Topps are tougher than you might think ...

Also, with all the attention on 700, a temporary bump in sales of his cards doesn't seem too surprising ...
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    I think I have like 20 of that card...maybe time to send the best in and get some 10s hehe.

• Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    Certainly Bonds has some 86 Updates and Tradeds -- and 87 Donruss and Fleer -- with dark colored borders that you'd think are tougher than this card. Not many white-bordered cards in '86 and '87! I always thought so few 87 Topps Bonds were graded because that was the least popular of his rookies. Maybe that's changing, as more people collect all his other rookies and need the 87 Topps for completion.
  • Options
    The 1987 topps barry bonds are suprisingly hard to get. One of the main problems with this card is the print defect on the number on the back (The bonds card is #320 and during printing a lot of the cards are missing a large portion of the #3 in 320). Make sure you check this out before submitting any cards.
    I am looking for any 1987 Topps Football cards graded PSA 9 or PSA 10 (no qualifiers). If you have any please e-mail me! Thank you.
  • Options

<< <i>The 1987 topps barry bonds are suprisingly hard to get. One of the main problems with this card is the print defect on the number on the back (The bonds card is #320 and during printing a lot of the cards are missing a large portion of the #3 in 320). Make sure you check this out before submitting any cards. >>

How observative. I bought a 1987 Topps Rack Pack for $2 and pulled a Bonds RC today. The bottom/left of the "3" is faded.
  • Options
    A perfect example of arguably the greatest player ever--a rookie card, a gorgeous photo on a condition-sensitive issue authenticated, encapsulated for protection and preserved as a modern collection's centerpiece for two bones...not too shabby. The card is drop-dead gorgeous!

dgf
  • Options
    yep. Got a Bonds mint RC for less than $2 (considering a rack pack is 3 packs) and didn't have to foot the extra $200 for the case.
  • Options
    I think the sleeper will be the 1987 Toy's R Us Bonds Rookie. It has all the makings of a great card, low pop, black edges, weak packaging and bubble prone gloss. It is often overlooked.

Kevin
  • Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    Can someone post the card back with the faded 3 ?

The Pop. report shows 122 graded 10's.
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think the sleeper will be the 1987 Toy's R Us Bonds Rookie. It has all the makings of a great card, low pop, black edges, weak packaging and bubble prone gloss. It is often overlooked.
    >>

As luck has it, I have 4 unopened Toys R Us sets on ebay right now, if anyone is interested.

Link
    This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options

<< <i>Can someone post the card back with the faded 3 ?

The Pop. report shows 122 graded 10's. >>

Here is the one I pulled recently.