Home U.S. Coin Forum

RIP!!! My best score ever

OK, I'm pleased with this one.

I just closed a great 1855 $2.50 quarter eagle in Heritage's Bullet auction. It is graded ANACS AU58. I typically buy PCGS and NGC only, but they have a lot of ANACS in this auction so I figure a collector consigned a large collection of gold that they collected in ANACS holders.

This is a very nice looking coin that is PQ for the grade and $50 under Greysheet bid Couldn't believe someone didn't run with me on this given the excellent luster. Very clean surfaces. Definitely an AU63+++ My max bid was $50 over sheet as this is a great looking coin and will no doubt cross to PCGS when cracked out. Very cool.

LINK
Tom

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Type collector since 1981
Current focus 1855 date type set

Comments

• imageimage
    -George
    42/92
  • StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tom: Very nice pickup!! Congrats!! image

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • BladeBlade Posts: 1,744
    Hard to believe you can get an original early quarter eagle like that for $189.
    Tom

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

If it gets PCGS AU58, about $280 so not a lot. But it will be interesting to see where the wear is. Luster in the image looks pretty much intact. I'm hoping ANACS screwed up and it's just a bit of a weak strike on the obverse hair and eagle's leg and wing on the reverse like you see on some of these early issues. But I'll be happy if it stays AU58 with this much luster. I am trying to put together a matching 1855 gold type set and AU58 is about all I can afford in the $3, $10 and $20 so I won't mind a matching grade in the $2.50 and $5.00.
    Tom

• BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Blade I bet it grades au 55, beautiful one thoughimage-------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    Tom,

That's awesome. I'm looking forward to seeing it in person! image

David
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    super nice coin! I love the AU58 grade.. so much that I have the exact same coin in my collection..

dig those slanty fives!

nice score blade

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good get Tom..

It does look pretty nice..

John
    Big E - Strike is a little weak, but luster is all there - no way this is going 55... I'll give a full report after the cross attempt. Will be a few months from now as aI will need another 3 for my free collector's club submission.
    Tom

• Why cross...looks fine where it is. Gold against the white background. Pretty coin.
  • If you think it is MS with a weak strike, should'nt you crack it out instead??
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,778 ✭✭✭✭
    Very nice pick-up.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If you think it is MS with a weak strike, should'nt you crack it out instead?? >>

Not if you're specifically collecting certified PQ AU-58 coins. image
    While I don't have to get it into a PCGS holder, I have 4 free submissions as part of my collector's club and am curious to see how it will do (assuming when I receive the coin it looks as good as it does in the pics). Also, I have all of my gold in PCGS and NGC, so would prefer to keep consistent with the rest of the collection.

Definitely will crack it out to avoid holder bias and on the chance it might get a mint state designation.
    Tom

• nice score!image:

imageimage
  • Good go Tom. Now, all I have to do is sort through 40 years of coins collected, catalog & get rid of about 80% to focus better.

Dad
    Tom at the beach

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file