Home Stamps Forum
Options

Help with ?error US stamp

I acquired what I think is an error stamp (not a joke)... and I was wondering if someone could give me some help with it... I am a serious stamp collector (foreign and US)

It is the Harriet Tubman 13c 1978 Black Heritage Issue scott # 1744

Actually I have a block of 4 of this stamp and the bottom two stamps in the block are missing the color in the face except at the level of the chin as well as some of the wording of "Harriet Tubman" at the top of the stamp (the letters are very very faint). It is rather a striking/obvious "error" because the top two stamps in the block are perfectly normal but the bottom two stamps show exactly the same color omission on the face.

I tried to look up the stamp in Stephen Datz's "Catalogue of Errors on US Postage Stamps" but he doesn't list this stamp as a known error.

Perhaps the stamp should be classified as "under-inking" rather than color-omitted?

Anyone ever seen this "error" before . Any idea of value?

If someone would like a scan of the block, give me your email address.

Comments

• Options
    RG58...can you put a scan up?
    NICKEL TRIUMPH...
  • Options
    Here is the scan (hope it works!)....
  • Options
    Did the scan work?
  • Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    It works, but it's quite small.....
  • Options
    Looks like a missing black variety

On a modern stamp missing colors multiply the value of the base stamp somewhere from 10 to 200 times depending on a few factors including the topic of the base stamp (flowers, space and sports are more popular)

On a personal note, the irony of a missing black on a Black Heritage issue doesn't escape me. I wouldn't mind to have it on my collection.
    Boldly Going Nowhere
  • Options
    thanks for the information. It was helpful. I personally have also admired this error/freak stamp for the irony in it. Moreover it is a beautiful block of 4 showing the distinct contrast of the normal stamps (above) with the color omission ones (below).

Does PSE authenticate such stamp "errors" and would they label this something like "black color omission from face"?
  • Options
    Why would you autenticate it? Do you think it is a forgery, then you need certification - APS would be the best place

PSE is a grading company, just a venue cashing in on the vanity of collectors thriving to get the "best of whatever." Sorry, I am not contaminated by the autentication/grading nonsensense born from the need to protect the silly investment on pseudo MS70 coins (as if anyone could differenciate consistently minute grade differences).

If you like your stamps don't encase them. I already wrote extensivelly about the issue and don't have the will to do it again - just think: why museums don't close-encase stamps or paper?
    Boldly Going Nowhere
  • Options
    RG58...A certificate would be cool. You will know what you have and it's fun. PSE only grades or encapsulates stamps if you request it.

TY...get into the 21st century. I guess it's hard to roll in your stamps after you shower if they are in plastic.

MY VANE, PSEUDO VENUE CASHING, EGOTISTICAL, NONSENSICAL SILLY INVESTMENT
    NICKEL TRIUMPH...
  • Options
    GQ, study a little bit of paper conservation and maybe your stamps will survive the 21st century.

Now, if you really don't mind seeing the paper degrade inside its plastic tomb, then go for it.
    Boldly Going Nowhere
  • Options
    Gave a look at your stamps - very nice . . . but how the C13 got a 95 when it has 2 short perfs at the bottom? (bellow the N and the O) If they are not short at least you have irregular perfs on that side. The cancel has no date, a minus for excellent used copies. The C14 has a lateral amputation of the upper right corner perf, one short perf above the Z, not as good centered as the C13 but has wonderful cancel. C15 is not well centered, one short perf bellow the T (may be part of the cancel obscuring the paper on the scan as the before last perf at right, next to the corner); a thin perf - the before last at the bottom right; good cancel.

I would like to see the back of these stamps to be sure that the "dirty" on the upper left of the C13 is not foxing and to know how they were removed from their covers and conserved.

Overall, I don't agree with their grade (by comparison, C14 should get a better grade or C13 and C15 a lower). See, grading IS subjective.
    Boldly Going Nowhere
  • Options
    Ty...No, the stamps are not in plastic and are conserved quite well. Yes, grading is subjective and you did a cute job grading an image reduced from 1600kb to 50kb. But we both know that every dealer in the world (are you a dealer), and I mean every dealer, would list or sell those stamps as Fault Free Superb Jumbos. Did they get graded as superb Jumbos? The C14 is down graded because of a small crease...a small crease that would easily be passed on to an unsuspecting or unknowing buyer. Maybe that is why the over all set grade is 85 (Very Fine). That is a long way from the subjective "superb jumbo". No date on the stamp? Have not heard that one in 50 years of collecting. Maybe I'll just use them tonight to light my wood stove.

Ty...we all get discouraged from the dribble on this forum but all you seem to do is tell people they are stupid if they don't soak the gum off their stamps or collect and store them "your" way. Go back and read your second thread. You tell people they are vane, egotistical, silly and full of nonsense... and then you get mad and take your ball and go home. No wonder we can't get a good stamp forum started. I sense a little bit of frustration here Tyster.

I collect the American Way...Any God Damn Way I want

NICKEL TRIUMPH...
  • Options
    I humbly take most of your criticisms and the least I can do is try to improve myself. Being an old dog, allow me to explain a few old vices while learning the new tricks.

I resent the humorless attacks this board suffer from time to time from other members of this site. No complain ever brought a mediator to solve the situation. This fact alone puts me on a bad mood when treating the grading and slabing issue, a numismatization of philately. Nothing against coin collecting, I have a coin collection, a quite good one I believe. What I have against is treating different materials as if the differences where meaningless.

Paper is not an eternal commodity. Paper, being of organic nature is subject to decay. Some gums (particularly those manufactured from mid 30’s to mid 50’s) are harmful to the paper base. The ill effects will be quite perceptible in 50 to 80 years, meaning, those that will inherit your stamps will see the value of the mint gummed stamps deteriorate as a result of the deterioration of the paper base. Do a test: there are many cheap gummed 1940’s stamps; select a few and soak them in distilled water. Measure the pH and you will see how acid the water will be.

I am not suggesting people to store stamps my way, I am telling them (in an antipathetic tone, I agree) to avoid what some big companies are trying to institutionalize as the only way to protect the investment. Encasing is harmful; it can only be done safely if a controlled atmosphere (not only gas mixture but also humidity and temperature) is offered to the piece – something unlikely to happen on a slab. More, those slabs are not UV safe and many are taken to believe that they can be displayed without any protection from the sun.

Yes, your set is Very Fine no doubt about it (the crease is not visible on the scan) and I agree, any dealer would ask a fault free price for it but for the reasons I pointed most dealers would also offer 25 to 35% of the original price as a buying offer. Dates on cancels increase the value of the stamp; they demonstrate contemporary usage and sometimes routes (the C15 has 2 different cancels – maybe one of them is on route?). Used stamps collecting have some very interesting particularities.

I am relieved your stamps are not slabbed.

Me too, I collect not only my way but also what I want and I always try to have fun with my collections. To collect is not to invest. Nope, I am not a dealer.

I am deeply sorry if any of my posts upset you in any way. Please accept my apologies
    Boldly Going Nowhere
  • Options
    Let us know how it works out for you and your stamps RG58. I'd be most interested in knowing what kind of grade you get on those stamps. What an informative thread.
  • Options
    Finally a little action on the stamp board... its about time. Maybe I'll post some more good stuff in the future with pics to stimulate some discussion on this board.

Regardless, I did not mean to confuse the issue regarding sending the stamps in for grading with PSE. I would never have this variety graded. What I would want is a certificate stating that it is indeed an error or variety and I would like to see it, as a result of certification, catalogued in Scott as such.

Perhaps the APS or PF would better serve this purpose.

Ty, selling/buying stamps on ebay requires a 3rd party "grading process". If one cannot examine the stamps in person and has to trust the dealer, the buyer will get burned over and over again. However certification is still way more important than grading. I have learned one thing in the last few years about collecting old rare stamps-- there are more forgeries than there are genuine stamps out there!
  • Options
    It's all good...but there is more bad stuff out there than good stuff when it comes to Used stamps. Alot has to do with the fact that they are just that...used stamps. Just makes the hunt for gems more fun.
    Red "ZEPPELIN 1930" over black Varick ST. STA, NY, Apr. 29 1:30 P.M. postmark
    Note: edited to correct text
    NICKEL TRIUMPH...
  • Options
    RG58...again...very nice and interesting stamps. Keep us informed on the outcome.
    NICKEL TRIUMPH...
  • Options

<< <i> there are more forgeries than there are genuine stamps out there! >>

That is why they are rare :-)

Study your stuff. If you specialize in one specific area odds are you will not need any certification after some time. Non-specialized collectors and “investors” are the ones requiring certification or even grading. The question is what potential dollar value a stamp must have to merit a certification. With certification fees starting at 15.00 on average, a stamp must worth in my opinion at least 10 times that to worth the cost and trouble.

Now regarding Scott recognizing your variety, don’t keep your hopes very high. I uncovered a few varieties and submitted them to Scott, none was recognized. On the other hand all them ended up being listed on a country specific catalog. I think Scott lists more in function of editorial space than in function of relevance. After they abandoned the 4 volumes format the American listing improved but theres still a long way to go specially regarding varieties.
    Boldly Going Nowhere
  • Options
    Ty,

I agree with you for the most part. However, I will tell you this. I have about 10 stamps in my collection that have book value of at least 5,000$/ stamp, some as high as 25,000$. However, I have learned through previous experience with the certification process that the majority of them will be returned as forgeries or altered stamps. The certification cost is extremely high and one can easily lose a lot of money in the process unless you are sure your stamps are the real deal.

Sure, at 15$/stamp it may be worthwhile but it usually costs much more than that for a certificate

rg
  • Options
    RG...Well said.

Ty...step awaaaaaaaay from the imageimage
    NICKEL TRIUMPH...
  • Options
    LOL LOL LOL

but I have to confess: I peeked

RG, little correction, I said certification starts at $15. For those that are not familiar with certification in philately: prices are in general calculated as a fraction of the catalog value plus a fixed fee.
    Boldly Going Nowhere
  • Options
    Although I have some experience with sending a few stamps to PSE, what is the policy regarding sending a stamp with, for example, a catologue value of 3,000$ but then the stamp is certified as a forgery or another stamp altered and is essentially worthless. How much do you have to pay? Just the fixed rate, right? You don't have to pay a percentage of the worth? Right?
  • Options
    First of all: if you have an European stamp of high value, the best services are the European ones but take care: German laws (among other countries) force the expert to DEFACE the forgeries. Only send your stamps to outside the USA if you are sure about its authenticity or the law.

Most services I know charge a percentage of the actual book value of the stamp. If it is a forgery the book value may still be high - some forgeries (by Fournier as an example) worth a good amount. Always inquire first. I have a beautiful American revenue certified as forgery by APS - a non forged worth something like $5.00, the forgery quite a few times that. Since I don't live in the US I can legally own it.

If your valuable stamps are classic European, Canadian or Latin American post a scan, I can give you a general idea - please scan the back of the stamp also.

Regarding rarities, remember the rule: all rare stamps are expensive and not all expensive stamps are rare.
    Boldly Going Nowhere