Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

An interesting Canadian note

Yes, it is in bad shape, but for 25c I think I did OK. It is dated January 2, 1900

DPOTD-3
'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

Comments

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, anyone know the value of these Canadian Stamps? I picked a 1937 Stamp Album at the show today and these were in it.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    No idea about the values, but I think you should ask Mrs Ajaan to iron this note. image
    Dimitri

DPOTD-1
  • Options
    MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382
    Cool a shinplaster Dominion of Canada 25 cent note. I just sold one of these a few months back in XF condition. The Dominion of Canada notes were first printed in 1870 with the introduction of the fractional 25c note, or "shinplaster". Shinplasters came into existence due to a problem of incoming U.S. silver which was depreciated below the gold standard. The government felt a temporary measure was needed to stop this influx of unwanted silver, and so, came up with the 25c note. The measure worked, as the silver was sent back to New York. Far from temporary, the notes became very popular and were issued for another 65 years.

I think you did great for a quarter!!! Now the stamps...I've got info on the green war time stamp:
    The increasing financial burden of the first world war, 1914-18, was met in part by a war tax of one cent on each piece of first class matter. This tax was authorized by a "Special War Revenue Act", Bill No. 76, (Feb 1915).

The Inland Revenue Department ordered the overprinting of the 5¢, 20¢, and 50¢ postage stamps "WAR TAX" in two lines diagonally from upper left to lower right. The overprint is in black on the 5¢, and 20¢, and red on the 50¢. They were issued February 12, 1915, and almost immediately it was realized that confusion would result as to whether or not they could be used on mail matter, so that further issues were overprinted with "Inland Revenue" thereby definitely identifying them as revenue stamps.

At first war tax stamps were intended to pay only the war tax, but a Post Office notice of April 16, 1915, postmaster were notified that "postage stamps upon which the words 'war tax' have been printed may be accepted for pre payment postage." As a result of this supplies of the 5¢, 20¢, and 50¢ with the original two line "War Tax" overprint were used for postage along with the other special war tax stamps. On December 30, 1915, the 5¢, 20¢, and 50¢ so overprint were no longer available for postage.

Edit to add: The one you have ajaan is not an over print and is identified as "MR-1" These very in value per condition.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW! Thanks for the info Mike.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Don, that note is Pick-9b. It lists at $5.00 in VG.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    Cool note and stamps. image
    currently owned by 5 Labradors

Blaze - Yellow male b 3/17/93
    Onyx - Black male b 3/7/99
    Duchess - Yellow female mix b 3/12/02 rescued 9/18/02
    Rifle - Yellow male mix b 12/1/02 rescued 8/8/03
    Diamond - Black female b 5/3/05 adopted 8/3/05