Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Anyone else notice...

...an upward swing in what people are charging for shipping on ebay card purchases? I just looked at some single PSA auctions, and they wanted $6, $8 per card?

Is this just an awkward coincidence or are people really trying to profit on shipping as well?

Comments

• Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    the more ebay fees go up expect shipping to go up. ebay fees are crazy you will see less stuff for sale bc of the fees.
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    on cards that i expect to bring decent money, i'll charge a $6 flat fee for INSURED shipping.. i get tired of people buying cards for $100+ and not purchasing insurance..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>on cards that i expect to bring decent money, i'll charge a $6 flat fee for INSURED shipping >>

p_A
    Nothing wrong with that...B-E-Collectibles which sells quite few lots has a flat 6 bux on all their stuff and people keep coming back.
    I think there should be some wiggle room for multiple lots tho.
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    I would bet if someone looked into it in some detail, you would be likley to find that the cards that have higher shipping charges will sell for less than those with normal charges ($2-4 for a graded card). If more than one of the same card was listed at the same time, and one had shipping for $2, and the other was $8.50, I bet the one with $2 shipping sells for more the majority of the time.
  • Options
    That is why I gigure shipping into my bid price. If all I want to pay is 10 dollars my maximum bid would be just 2.00 if shipping were 8.00.

I have come into some nice deals by bidding lower on items with higher shipping. Bought a card last week that averages 9.00 on Ebay for 2.79 plus 5.00 shipping and handling while others were paying 9.00 plus 2.00 to 3.00 shipping and handling.
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭

<< <i>on cards that i expect to bring decent money, i'll charge a $6 flat fee for INSURED shipping.. i get tired of people buying cards for $100+ and not purchasing insurance.. >>

What pandrews is describing is perfectly reasonable. The only issue I have with that is when a seller uses that as a flat shipping rate on EVERYTHING, even cards that sell for $10 or less.

One factor in the rising cost of shipping may be that more sellers are realizing they can skate around some of the fees due to eBay (and PayPal) if more of the sale price is built into the S&H. You see this most often in cheaper cards that are sold in high volume. So you may see a $10 card sell for $2.50, but it costs $4.95 to get it mailed to you. Some buyers are turned off by such an outrageous S&H fee for a cheap card and won't bid. Others know the game and bid accordingly.
  • Options

Here's another thought.I am expecting more early ending of auctions as e-bay increases their prices.Why pay an ending fee when you can sell offline and get your price by a connection made with a listed card?While I do not agree at all with ending an auction early because of an outside offer,I think until e-bay addresses this situation,with their rising costs I see this as coming issue.Any Thoughts ?

Vic
    Please be kind to me. Even though I'm now a former postal employee, I'm still capable of snapping at any time.