Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Questions for OFEC collectors ...

In your quest to obtain "one from each country", do you include countries that no longer exist?

Do you put a limit on how old you'll go (like, just 20th century, just 19th and 20th, etc.) or are you trying for EVERY country that has ever been in existence?

Do you try to keep the coins' physical sizes similar? Or are you interested in only the similarity in denominations?

Just silver, or just copper/bronze, or just gold? Or any of these?

I'm curious how other collectors are approaching this, because, frankly, I have NO CLUE how to even begin such a collection.

Thank you for your input image

My OmniCoin Collection
My BankNoteBank Collection
Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.

Comments

• Options
    Hey Tom...Well, since the good old U S of A screwed me for my birthyear (1966), I've been thinking about getting world coins for that year. First, maybe, concentrating on specific countries and then different denominations within that realm.
    ~Debbie~
  • Options
    phutphut Posts: 1,087
    Iv'e been trying to get one from every country that existed since the settlers got to US. I do have a couple ancients. I collect any date, size, denomination, or grade, and will eventually pic the best from each country for a final folder.
    It's a batlle to find some and I end up with a lot of certain countries.
    PM sent
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Sorry I missed this post initially...

When I started OFEC collecting, one coin was the ideal. As I collected and started familiarizing myself with what was available I saw that one would not be enough. I like to look at anything from the 1600's through late 1900's per country. A representative sample in copper and bronze, as well as silver, gold, copper-nickel, etc. in representative denominations from one country through three centuries offers lots of coin-buying opportunities! I include NCLT's as the spirit moves me.

All countries are fair game, whether in existence or not.

I have paid .50 cents for a coin up to $100+, with most in the $5 to $50 range.

I was greatly helped by the immediate purchase of all the Krause books, as well as Coincraft, Spinks, Charleton, and others, the study of which allowed me to select certain periods from a countries history that interested me. Some of what I buy is based on its availability to me.
    Some items I am still looking for after more than a year of searching, some I may never find. For instance, there's a ton of German States stuff in 30mm and up that I may never see in my life, but I'm aware of it so that if I see it, I'll know...

I'm somewhere over 250 countries represented, haven't counted lately.

If I like a coin, I may do a date run of them- french centimes from the turn of the 19th century to early 20th and British pennies from as far back as I can afford them are two such examples. Love the size, appearance, and they're affordable. Silver French "Sower" is another such.

I discovered coins from Egypt from 1917 that I liked (British Occupational period) and recently completed all the denominations I wanted to for that year-sure looks pretty as the toning and the grades (with one exception) match throughout the run, and I purchased them all from different sources. Part of the fun for me is creating a good visual display of the coins and finding grade and appearance that compliment the collection.

I could go on but you get the idea.image Let me know if you have questions as you search - as a fellow OFEC, I'm willing to help.

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Deb, Phut and Laurent image

I appreciate you taking the time to respond with your suggestions. They are helpful image

My OmniCoin Collection
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    One from each country that has ever issued coins (OFECTHEIC) would be quite an undertaking, and I'd guess most of us would meet the undertaker before finishing it!image
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>One from each country that has ever issued coins (OFECTHEIC) would be quite an undertaking, and I'd guess most of us would meet the undertaker before finishing it!image >>

At my age, that's an absolute certainty !!! image

My OmniCoin Collection
  • Options
    OFEC collecting can be defined any way you like. There's no single "right" way. It's popularity is due to the fact that it's a great way to inexpensively gain a broad, basic education in what's "out there" in collecting world coins. (Not to mention yet another way that Litesiders miss out on enjoying coins.imageimage) It offers a fun path for exploration and making side excursions to "stay a while" in interesting collecting environs is encouraged. image
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image