Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A Nice Toned Morgan from Pittsburgh

A late arrival from Pittsburgh - Hard to capture the vibrancy and liquid colors that float on this coin. Even a little textile in the left obverse filed by the E * P and also in the right obv field by the two *s under the M. Really nice when you hold it in your hand! image

Collecting eye-appealing Proof and MS Indian Head Cents, 1858 Flying Eagle and IHC patterns and beautiful toned coins.

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.” Mark Twain
Newmismatist

Comments

• Options

Now if you would just get rid of that ugly toned Peace $ you would have a really nice collection of toners! image

Michael
  • Options
    wam98wam98 Posts: 2,685
    Nice colors. image
    Wayne
  • Options
    TassaTassa Posts: 2,373 ✭✭
  • Options
    "A late arrival from Pittsburgh"....well worth the wait, I'm sure.

Yes, yes, I like !!!

Nice colorsimage

Herb
    Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Marvelous Christmas colors!! What's the grade?
  • Options
    Money Colors, Nice
    Allen
    Love those TONED Coins, a true Addict!!!

Proud member of TCCS!
  • Options

<< <i>Marvelous Christmas colors!! What's the grade? >>

PCGS MS65 - actually MUCH MUCH nicer look than the photo shows - to capture the colors, I had to tilt the coin and it looks like the cheek is marked up - it's not - actually it's a very PQ coin with very smooth, uniform surfaces with a slight bit of textile in the fields around 10:00 and 3:00. The colors and tone are like a liquid sheen floating on the coin and as it's rotated in the light it shimmers. It's an 1881-S, so it gets that look because 81-Ss are very lusterous and often PL so a uniform toning on the coin will seem to "float" as the coin is rotated in the light. The same look as the 81-S that BigMoose had in our Pittsburgh "Show-off Your Toners" contest which just bearly edged out the Monster Oregon comm owned by MS68 for our "Best of Show" toned coin - I wish I could capture the real look of this coin, but my photography skills are still quite basic.

It's of the same quality as my 1880-S "Christmas Tree" - (here's a good excuse to post it! - This is one of my all time favorite coins! image)
    Collecting eye-appealing Proof and MS Indian Head Cents, 1858 Flying Eagle and IHC patterns and beautiful toned coins.

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.” Mark Twain
    Newmismatist
  • Options
    WOW!!! Cool colors! Makes mine look kinda plain now..... Here is my "rose" lady 1881-S PCGS MS64

and the gold toned rev:

This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

Hell, I don't need to exercise.....I get enough just pushing my luck.
  • Options
    Forgot to mention - that killer 1881-S that I got in Pittsburgh came from Coingame2000

Thanks Mike! image

Newmismatist
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Outsta..... hold on, while I pick up my jaw, OK......nding!
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file