Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1980 Topps Gretzky & Lafleur photo variants

Check out these two variants from the Topps All Star sub set - they are blank back proofs from the Topps Vault. I also have the green/yellow proof of each card. Does anyone know if other photo variants exist from the 1980 set? Any of the hockey/Gretzky experts have an opinion of the value or how many exist?

Thanks,

Mike

"Must these Englishmen Live That I Might Die? Must They Live That I Might Die?" - The Blue Oyster Cult

Comments

• Options
    they aren't real 1980 Topps cards, but damn, where did they come from? i don't remember any reprint or one off sets produced in the past decade.
  • Options
    ICE9ICE9 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭
    "Must these Englishmen Live That I Might Die? Must They Live That I Might Die?" - The Blue Oyster Cult
  • Options
    Actually, both sets came from the Topps Vault with a COA identifying them 1980 proofs.

I have others proofs set (finished and green/yellow versions) from the 1980 All Star sub set: Danny Gare, Borje Salming and Marcel Dionne, but none are photos variants. These also came from the Topps Vault.

Mike
  • Options
    yeah, i'm an idiot who can't read.

these are pretty cool, any idea what they go for?
  • Options
    They weren't much (the Gretzky was maybe 200). That's why I'm wondering if anyone had an opinion about the value.

When Topps printed proof sheets, seven sheets were different colors and one was a combination of all colors which looked like a finished card (with the exception of the blank back). I guess, depending on how many proof sheets were printed and when the photos were changed, each color combination could be a 1 of 1 card. Is this a s-t-r-e-t-c-h ?!?!?!

Anyhow, I really like 'em. There's also some really cool reprint photo variants in the 1992 OPC anniversary set.

Mike
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭
    How long ago did you get them? I guess I missed out!
  • Options
    schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    Neat item, but I kind of prefer the Gretzky "sucking his thumb" pic on his all-star card a bit better.
    Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options
    ICE9

Nice items. I really like the Gretzky variant. Thanks for sharing and sorry i have no idea on a value

Randy
  • Options
    I picked 'em up off of eBay about a year ago. I wanted to get the entire 12 card All Star sub-set, but Topps only offered offered five. The person running the Topps Vault auctions seems to have very limited knowledge of subject. They marketed both the Gretzky & Lafleur sets simply as proofs and not as photo variants. I think this *might* be the reason that these sold for so little. Now, just think a '53 Mantle proof, showing him at the plate or in the field or an '87 Jordan proof, showing him dunking...reminds me of the thread from a few months back about fantasy cards that never were.

Mike