Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

How is possible

CurrinCurrin Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭✭✭
How is possible to have a set rated higher than "highest possible" for the set???

Textimage
My 20th Century Type Set, With Type Variations---started : 9/22/1997 ---- completed : 1/7/2004

My 20th Century Gold Major Design Type Set ---started : 11/17/1997 ---- completed : 1/21/2004

Comments

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2 ways I can think of:

A recent upgrade in the set that hasn't hit the pop reports yet

or

An error in the spreadsheet that BJ used to create the 'finest possible set' figure.

I've seen both of these occur [no, BJ isn't perfect .... just close! image ] If you email her, she can check her spreadsheet for that set.
  • Options
    foodudefoodude Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭
    TDNs possibilities are the most likely. Another possibility is that at the time the set was listed, there was at least one PCGS coin in the set at a higher grade than the current pops. That coin(s) has since been cracked (more likely crossed), and the tag turned in.
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭
    Not knowing what set you are talking about makes it hard to give a RIGHT answer. But take the Roosevelt clad set as an example.. If you are not at 100% it's very easy to have a GPA higher than the max value of the set. For instance. If you bought one coin.. a MS68FB the full bands give you two extra points. making the set at this point have a GPA of 70.00, but you can't sustain that rate of grading as you get deeper into the set this high a grade coin does not exist very often in the sixtys, or the seventys. So as you progress in building and adding to the set, your GPA will have to come down to no more than the Max shown for the set.

oh oh I just noticed your link. Being at 100% makes my example null & void. image
    Dan
  • Options
    Would an error coin being included in the set add to the point value?
  • Options
    MistercoinmanMistercoinman Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭
    Considering the set is in the all-time finest and not the actual registry. this could be a set that was put together before the registry, and was added for comparision, The coins were more than likely never graded by PCGS, Exampleimage the Ellesberg Collection) never graded by PCGS but part of the registries all-time finest just for comparision.
  • Options
    Sorry,

IMHO is just a formula problem.
    Happened the same in Kennedy Proof when the first 2001 PR70DCAM was graded.
    BJ corrected it in the follows days.
    Just contact her.

Edson
  • Options
    CurrinCurrin Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Follow-up Question... Why would you keep a retired set closed? image
    My 20th Century Type Set, With Type Variations---started : 9/22/1997 ---- completed : 1/7/2004

My 20th Century Gold Major Design Type Set ---started : 11/17/1997 ---- completed : 1/21/2004