Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

So what can a poor boy do?

My God - this card was listed as Ex+ in the Mastro auction, probably would be lucky to slab as a 5, my snipe even got skunked - who's responsible for driving these LA regionals out of sight???? KEVINNNNN!!!!!!
'59 Morrell Koufax
Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."

Comments

• Options
    Mark,
    If you feel the need to hunt Kevin down like a dog and beat him senseless then at least give him fair warning and 10 minute head start. His article brought new popularity to this issues. But it is probably temporary. So in the short term, the stuff you have is worth more. The stuff you want costs more. And maybe, just maybe some additional cards are brought into circulation and it works out.
    In the mean time can you say ..........second job ???
    Fuzz
    Wanted: Bell Brands FB and BB, Chiefs regionals especially those ugly milk cards, Coke caps, Topps and Fleer inserts and test issues from the 60's. 1981 FB Rack pack w/ Jan Stenerud on top.
  • Options
    dstudebadstudeba Posts: 215 ✭✭
    I feel your pain. I was amazed by the price another card in that lot went for. The Esskay Hot Dogs Card from the same lot went for $411. Luckily I did pick up the Hunter Weiners card which I wanted more.

As for recommendations, I will probably throw my Esskay card up on eBay and see what it brings. Maybe now is a good time to sell some Morrells. Probably not what you wanted to hear.................
    Search and Track Auctions Automatically

Collectable
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    I think that more times than not eBay will receive higher prices than auction houses, especially those that charge a fee to join. There are many collectors that will not pay to bid, and eBay will attract more bidders. One man's opinion ...
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    And just think, he knows where I work and has my number. Figures...I'm always the victim (as he increases the dose on anti-depressants).

That price is unbelievable...whatta' bummer. I truly am sorry for the loss. Remember I was rooting for you.

I have been threatened by others to "not write any more articles" as I had a couple in the works. I am oppressed by the powerful card men. It's a conspiracy I tell you.

Guess this means I won't get the vote for he best or most inspirational article of the year? It looks as though it opened many eyes to the previously obscure regional sets.

Kevin
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    Hey, Kevin - just a laugh....
    So that there is no doubt,
    your article did a good thing.
    Especially if you're selling....image
    Mark (amerbbcards)

• Options
    I guess it wouldn't make you mad if I said I was the one who beat you on auction then?

Kevin
  • Options
    I went and checked the auctions. I think the guy bought the regional lot from the last Mastro and is breaking it up. Someone should check and see if I'm right. It will be interesting to see how he does versus the lot price. All the cards seem familiar and I know I've seen them recently.

Best,

S.
  • Options
    In the interest of keeping the peace here, how about a compromise.
    Kevin, I think we all liked the article. The price movement was a blessing and a curse.
    If there are more articles in the works, I for one would be happy to see them in print. But if you want to keep the crowd happy, then drop a few hints about the topic here on the board. Collectors of the subject will load up before the price moves. Speculators will load up and sell in to it. So every one here will be happy when the articles come out.
    Ethical ?? Not really. But it is public knowledge on the board and those who read can act as they see fit. HArd to scream at a guy for acting on publicly disclosed info.
    Fuzz
    Wanted: Bell Brands FB and BB, Chiefs regionals especially those ugly milk cards, Coke caps, Topps and Fleer inserts and test issues from the 60's. 1981 FB Rack pack w/ Jan Stenerud on top.
  • Options
    Fuzz,

No need to keep the peace, we are just having fun with each other. Keep in mind I buy more than I sell and am in the same boat, cards priced way beyond my means. As Mark knows, had I won the Mastro auction, I would have given him the Koufax...it's not about the money with me. I'm actually on a mission to help him find one at an affordable price. We're collecting buds.

As for writing, I would like to do an article about the Desert Shield cards. That would be interesting and the timing is appropriate. I did scrap a player article I was working on, in the interest of collecting and market stability. Regardless of the topic, Joe would have to give his blessing first.

For now, I'm just having fun collecting and trading.

Best regards to all.

Kevin
  • Options
    Just for reference, I know the buyer of the '59 Koufax Morrell, and he wasn't sucked in by Kevin's article. He is a big Koufax collector, and has no difficulty justifying overpaying for an item he decides he wants. I have seen him pay over $500 for a Koufax wire-photo, then the seller lists an identical one a month later that goes for $200. I doubt he will submit it to PSA, although he may have believed the seller's mantra that the card was near-mnt or better. From the scan I think it probably would get a 6 if it's lucky. Still a very rare card, although I just pretend that the '61 I have is a '59, since it's the same picture on the front.

Rick
    Always looking for high-grade 1958-62 Bell Brand and Morrell Meat Dodger cards.
  • Options
    Kevin,
    I would be interested in the Desert Shield article. It is after my time collecting-wise but I was around when they came out. So I remember them but don't really know much about them so your article would be a wealth of info for me.
    The regional collectors of BB seem to be a pretty tight group with a good hearted competitive spirit. Even I keep my eyes open in my travels for a 59 Morrell Koufax and 62 Bell Brand Willie Davis. I have a nice Davis in my set but it only graded a 5 and when I get a second, you will be offered one of them. BUt for God's sake, don't tell those FB guys.
    Fuzz
  • Options
    Fuzz,

Unlock your PM or follow my article link for my email address before I have a stroke

Yeah, us regional guys (you included) look out for each other and share the top spots in various categories. We are a respectful group ( like most) that appreciates the collecting aspect of our hobby.

I would need to do a little more research, get examples of cards with "questionable authenticity" and a sealed pack that I can open to write an accurate piece on the Desert Shield set. Perhaps I should buy some Pro graded cards for this project.
  • Options

<< <i>Just for reference, I know the buyer of the '59 Koufax Morrell, and he wasn't sucked in by Kevin's article. He is a big Koufax collector, and has no difficulty justifying overpaying for an item he decides he wants. I have seen him pay over $500 for a Koufax wire-photo, then the seller lists an identical one a month later that goes for $200. I doubt he will submit it to PSA, although he may have believed the seller's mantra that the card was near-mnt or better. From the scan I think it probably would get a 6 if it's lucky. Still a very rare card, although I just pretend that the '61 I have is a '59, since it's the same picture on the front.

Rick >>

Rick - just a follow-up, there are now 18 graded '59 Morrell's - the first 17 are mine, and none of them are the Koufax. So now we have a graded example of a near-mint Koufax (I think). What do you think? Link to Pop report
    Mark (amerbbcards)

• Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    Mark, are you implying that the card was graded and it was a 3 or 4? just curious as I am not familiar with the issue at all.
  • Options
    Only a guess, my friend - but since I check the pops of my Morrells often, that Koufax is from the last couple weeks. Could be somebody just sent one in out of the blue; but the only one we all know changed hands was the recent one from the Mastro auction.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

• Options
    Mark,
    I don't have the pop report subscription, so not sure what you mean. If a Koufax was recently graded, what was the grade? However, there is another '59 on ebay, being sold raw. Maybe it was graded and broken out?

Rick
    Always looking for high-grade 1958-62 Bell Brand and Morrell Meat Dodger cards.
  • Options
    The Koufax is a 3-4 grade in the pop report and you're right, the one that's up now could be that one broken out. Hard to say - I thought maybe since you knew the winner of the Mastro card, maybe you knew if he got it graded...?
    Mark (amerbbcards)

• Options

<< <i>What is a poor boy to do? >>

I agree. Since that second Koufax and the other Morrells sold for ridiculously high prices.

Mark, as I told you before..I feel for ya' man. Don't give up the hunt. Even the 59 PC's I snagged went for about triple the price (or more) as they would have 6 months ago. I hope this change in pricing isn't permanent.

Kevin