Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

eBay Sellers, actually all sellers.

I hope this didn't catch anyone who sells on eBay. This info is about 3 weeks old. I talked to a coin dealer today who also sells on eBay. After a buyer won one of his auctions he was contacted by eBay that the buyer may not be legit. The payment did arrive in the form of a Wells Fargo Bank Cashiers Check. Well, right across the street from the shop just happens to be a Wells Fargo Bank. He sent someone from the shop over to the bank, and sure enough the Cashiers Check was a fake which Wells Fargo promptly confiscated. Luckily he didn't send out the coin. Apparently there is a water mark of some sort that wasn't in the Cashiers Check. Hope this helps. Oh, no contact with the buyer since.

Jerry

Comments

• Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    There has been an alarming increase in the number of fake cashier's checks. It's getting to the point where we have to treat them like personal checks.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>There has been an alarming increase in the number of fake cashier's checks. >>

And money orders. Got a bogus one myself about a month ago, so I recently changed my shipping policy to:

<< <i>PayPal and USPS Money Orders ship right away - all other payment methods subject to 10 business day delay for bank clearance. >>

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Russ, I would rather send you a bad check, then owe you money.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Russ, I would rather send you a bad check, then owe you money. >>

Your bad checks are better than other's good checks. image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Unfortunately, this has been going on for quite a while. It's amazing what the new printers can do and with some of the bad MO's, it's very difficult to identify as fraud. Please keep in mind that any of these transactions that have taken place via the internet across state lines are considered a federal offense and significant jail time awaits the offender if they are caught. Unfortunately, that means there are fraudulent sellers and fraudulent buyers - maybe we can find a way to hook them up with each other???? image
    Education...the key to collector success!
    ANA#R216999
    WINS#482
    EAC#5255
    CONECA#N-3902
    Coin Community Forum
  • Options
    People should always check cashiers checks and money orders for water marks or micro print signature lines as ALL of them have some type of security feature that is easily seen with a quick glance.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file