Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

You have items on a want list with dealers and they put it on ebay??

Does this happen to you. You have emailed the dealer numerous times and have items on their wantlist. They get them in and put them on ebay instead of calling??

Just curious??

Comments

• Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Never been in that position, but I can think of a couple explanations.

1. Dealer is unorganized and didn't realize the coin was on your want list.
    2. Dealer knew you wanted the coin but thought he could do better on ebay.
    3. Dealer doesn't actively work your want list, or ignores it.
    4. Dealer felt you wouldn't like that coin.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    Kranky,

I believe all of your reasons may be legit, but most likey it would be a matter of not paying any attention. I would think there would at least be communication if it was a price issue, or maybe just we got this coin, but it is not really good enough, so we are dumping it on ebay.

I have very good realtions with a couple other dealers, so I guess this is one to figure is not worth dealing with. To be honest I already had this thought about this aprticular dealer for other reasons, so I guess this is the "icing on the cake."

Jay
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Jay, I certainly would take the same action you are taking. Stick with the good ones! image

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    I don't understand it either. Maybe the dealer thought you wouldn't want that particular coin. But in this era, it's easy enough to get a decent picture and e-mail it (and perhaps your asking price) to the client. If they say "not right for me, I'll pass", THEN offer it up for auction. If they say "looks good, send it," then you send it to the specific customer who has a want list.

I don't think any dealer who knows what their specific customers want should do this. Maybe they think the coin will fetch $200 when their customer would only pay $150, but at least give the right of first refusal, I think. Maybe it just slipped the dealer's mind and it was an honest mistake. If not, it's not a good way to build a long-term clientele.
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Over the years I gave up on want list.
    Few dealers work them as well as a collector would like.
    I have to think that keeping track of list is tough.
    Just my thoughts.image
    Larry

• Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

I can imagine a dealer has contacted a number of collectors for their want lists and get told "never mind"
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    didya ask them WHY?
  • Options
    Is this a dealer that you have frequent personal contact with, or someone you only buy from at shows or through mail/ebay?? If it's someone whose shop you visit on a regular basis, I'd pick up the phone and ask why he's dissing you like this when he knows you want the coin. I don't think any dealer would just let a good, regular customer walk away.
  • Options
    Wisc - It's probably disorganization. If I give a dealer an item I want and he gets it, he lets me know. If I'm not willing to pay his price, then he'll find another customer or list on ebay. But, I get first shot at it. (Unless, of course, a bigger buyer has it on his list!)

BTW, I'm in WI too (Milwaukee area) and the dealers I work with are somewhat organized!!!

Mike
    Coppernicus

Lincoln Wheats (1909 - 1958) Basic Set - Always Interested in Upgrading!
  • Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Want lists are something of a misnomer. More correctly they are I don't want lists. If what you want is something a dealer doesn't want then bingo you will get a chance to buy it. If it is a popular item that is quite liquid more often than not you will go on wanting. I find it amazing that a dealer I have done a lot of business with and to whom I have told what I am looking for ends up advertising the same item in his ad before even offering it to me. I get first bid though on the stuff he thinks I might be interested in that he thinks might get stuck in his inventory.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file