Home U.S. Coin Forum

Nebraska quarter design vote...update!

There was an article in our paper tonight listing the 4 designs that have gotten the most votes. Link to the article

Out of all the choices, most are pretty bad, I guess 6 isn't too bad. Doesn't really tell what Nebraska today is about. But i guess they can't do a design about football.
the voting is going on until wednesday. Nebraska Quarter Vote
What Mr. Spock would say about numismatics...
image... "Fascinating, but not logical"

"Live long and prosper"

My "How I Started" columns

Comments

• fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭

I admit I CHEATED...... but I could *not* resist the temptation to vote for the quarter design that has a B-52 on it!

If that one wins, the Reagan dollar will have to have an aircraft carrier on the reverse, instead of a '52....

• khaysekhayse Posts: 1,336
    > Two or three warned of potentially embarrassing missteps. For example, the cornstalks featured in several designs feature three ears of corn. A
    > writer warned that a cornstalk rarely has more than one ear.
    >
    > "When city artists draw farm products, they only draw what looks good, but not always right," that e-mail said.
    Ummmmm, as opposed to all the country artists? I thought all they did was whitlin' and banjo playin' in the country.
    And the rest of the nation doesn't care if the corn is depicted accurately.

>At least two e-mails pointed out that the covered wagon depicted on two designs appears to be headed east, with a setting sun in the background.
    Sorry I missed the explanation, written on the coin, that that was a setting sun.

> Others debated whether the coin could or should be used to heal the great east-west rift in Nebraska.
    That must be the great east-west rift I read about in the news all the time. image

>But i guess they can't do a design about football.
    I'm with you. How about a design showing the option. image

-KHayse
    ps Sorry, I'm in a smart alecky mood.
  • CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find none of them particularly striking. I voted for #21, I think it would look great as a DCAM proof.
  • Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    > Two or three warned of potentially embarrassing missteps. For example, the cornstalks featured in several designs feature three ears of corn. A
    > writer warned that a cornstalk rarely has more than one ear.
    >
    > "When city artists draw farm products, they only draw what looks good, but not always right," that e-mail said.

Interesting, here in Indiana, where we also grow a lot of corn, most of our corn has two ears per stalk.

I always see coins like maps, the right side is east and the left is west So I see the wagon heading west with a rising sun. (I always see the WL half as striding into a setting sun.)
  • fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭

Indiana corn must be smarter than Nebraska corn.

• CoinHuskerCoinHusker Posts: 5,030 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Indiana corn must be smarter than Nebraska corn. >>

Hey now! don't forget the "N" on Nebraska's football helmets stands for nowledge. image
    Collecting coins, medals and currency featuring "The Sower"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file