Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Requirements for induction into the "You Suck Club"?

What do you all think is the minimum score requirements for induction into the "You Suck Club"? image Marty suggests a profit of 100x the cost minimum. Which basically means turning a cheap coin into $1000 minimum. Opinions, suggestions, etc? image
-George
42/92

Comments

• Options
    IwogIwog Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭
    Huh?
    "...reality has a well-known liberal bias." -- Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems steep - how about 10X??
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options

<< <i>Huh? >>

I think he wants to post a coin and be told "you suck" like often happens to MM thus being inducted to the "You Suck Club", I guess.
  • Options
    I think 10x is too low, but 100x is too high... 10x means turning say, a $10 proof set into a $100 coin... I think maybe more in the 25x-50x range...
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Turning a $200 buy into a $2,000 sale is, in amny ways, more impressive than someone who "sucks" turning a $2 buy into a $200 sale. So maybe the multiple which determines "suckitude" may depend on the purchase price of the coin?
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    I think all it takes is one good cherrypick.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options

<< <i>I think all it takes is one good cherrypick. >>

But how do you determine a good cherrypick? Hmm? image I cherrypicked a MS64FB 1948-P Roosie. Is that a good cherrypick? How about a 1969 Kennedy in 69UCAM from a $9 Proof set?
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Marty suggests a profit of 100x the cost minimum. >>

That's way too stiff a requirement. Marty's being an elitist snob and trying to keep people out of the club. image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    image What's your opinion Russ? image
    -George
    42/92
  • Options

<< <i>What's your opinion Russ? >>

That's tough to say. On the one hand, I agree with Tim that 10X seems about right, but Ziggy brings up a good point about the starting value of the coin. I think it really needs to be looked at on a case-by-case basis.

If a YN with limited resources rips a coin for a couple dollars that turns out to be worth $200, then I think they certainly should be included in the YOU SUCK club. But, if an experienced rip artist like Marty does the same thing, I don't think that would be enough to qualify.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    I think it is a very subjective call but one that when you see the coin and the price paid vs value you automatically think of "you suck!" Face it some coins you say "wow! nice find!" others you say "Doh!" and then there is the one that pops out at you and screams..."YOU SUCK!" in other words, you instinctively know it when you see it

just my humble opinion
  • Options
    image I got my first rip image 1969-S Kennedy in 69UCAM at NGC image Once I sell, it'll cover 3 of 4 proof sets I bought at Baltimore plus grading fees.... total cost close to $40 (Because I slabbed another coin that didn't make it image) but still a decent profit for me image
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well...I bought a pair of GAR medal dies on eBay for $6.00 including shipping (one was actually a master hub) and I got $500.00 and a $10 indian in XF for them...do I qualify???

Or does it HAVE to be a coin?

Cheers,

Bob
  • Options
    Bob,

In my considered judgement, yes, that qualifies. Welcome to the club. YOU SUCK!

Russ, NCNE
  • Options

<< <i>Bob,

In my considered judgement, yes, that qualifies. Welcome to the club. YOU SUCK!

Russ, NCNE >>

I'm in agreement!! YOU SUCK! image
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    OK, there is a you suck! A small rip would qualify...

Then there is YOU SUCK!! the biggie, the 100 times or greater! The $10 coin that turns into $2000 score.

Maybe we need levels of Suckieness??
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    Take for example this coin. It got posted today. Bought it on E-Bay for $2.50 and even figuring the grading I'm into the coin for $12.50.

008 1972 TYPE 1 $1 MS 65

Maybe some of the Ike guys can give a selling price for this (little you suck!) coin.

• Options
    So I guess I'm in good company? image

Cheers,

Bob
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought a buffalo raw for $20 and was about to slab it when I sold it for $200... does that count for anything?
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    Nice sigline Outhaul! image
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    10X seems about right to me.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    Personally, I think 10X is way too low. For a real YOU SUCK! it would have to be at least 50X the cost of the coin.

• Options
    In coins, I have had three nice finds:

A Nova Eborac in XF in a dealer's twenty-five cent counter-top junk box

A matte proof Buffalo I bought many years ago as a business strike

A 1926 Sesqui half in an old wallet on eBay for $50.00 that came back MS-65

Those are my big coin scores.

Other than that, been pretty dry.

Cheers,

Bob
  • Options

<< <i>Personally, I think 10X is way too low. For a real YOU SUCK! it would have to be at least 50X the cost of the coin. >>

I'm thinking 25x-50x... That's a $10 cost into $250-$500... which is a pretty major score..........
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    Maybe a muli-tiered approach:

you suck - 10x
    You Suck - 20x
    YOU SUCK! - 50x
    YOU SUCK!!!!!! - 100x

image - 200X

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    I think we should keep it at 100X to keep the riff-raff out...image
  • Options

That's the Russ level of sucking!

• Options
    I guess I qualify for a "you suck" then image
    -George
    42/92
  • Options

<< <i>That's the Russ level of sucking! >>

Nope, that's the Marty level. You're still top banana.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    This is the MadMarty Level!

• Options
    rlawsharlawsha Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭
    I sold a 1983-P quarter in a PCGS MS66 slab for $300 - my cost was $100 so I guess I don't suck.
  • Options
    I knew it, Russ does suck, no wonder there's no Miss Russ.

• Options
    elwoodelwood Posts: 2,414
    Does this count?
    Cherrypicking a rare half for $90.00 and selling it for $13,000image
    Please visit my website prehistoricamerica.com www.visitiowa.org/pinecreekcabins
  • Options
    I thought the only requirement was to be named "Marty".
    NMFB ™

• Options
    For years, Red Sox fans have told me my team sucks. They even have shirts with "Yankees Suck!" printed on them. I guess being told "you suck" on this forum has the same connotation. image
  • Options
    Hmmm...this is turning into a real suckfest image
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    I hope Amy Tan doesn't decide to sue because this fraternity sounds a bit too much like the "Joy Luck Club"...
  • Options
    mozeppamozeppa Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭
    how about a scale?

10 (x) = you suck

25 (x) = YOU SUCK!

50 (X) = YOU REALLY SUCK!

100 (X) = THE HOOVER AWARD FOR SUCK-NESS
  • Options
    mozeppamozeppa Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I knew it, Russ does suck, no wonder there's no Miss Russ.

image >>

you keep pokin' at russ mr. platnum.....admit it you really want to be friends with him ...dont cha!image
  • Options
    So does that make me a platinum power sucker!

• Options
    After being on this forum and watching all Marty's finds, no one could ever SUCK as much as Marty. Not saying that he doesn't work hard at it, he has to. So maybe it should go: YOU X10
    YOU SUCK!!! X25
    YOU SUCK LIKE MARTY!!! X50+
    It's really hard to sit back and not say "to myself" d@mn Marty you SUCK!
    Coins, shiny coins!
  • Options
    I think Russ/Marty can agree that anyone other than them paying $20 or less for a 1964 Proof Set with AH Kennedy half and then having all the coins in the set come back PF69DCAM qualifies for the 'You Suck' club.
  • Options

<< <i>$20 or less for a 1964 Proof Set with AH Kennedy half and then having all the coins in the set come back PF69DCAM qualifies for the 'You Suck' club. >>

If anybody ever actually scored an Accented Hair in PR69DCAM, they would own the top rung of the club for a long time to come. That would blow Marty's 1962 MS66FBL Frankie and Don's 1966 MS68DCAM SMS Kennedy out of the water.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    So does that make me a platinum power sucker!

I like the sound of that- platinum power sucker........ sounds like the top o' the heap to me.... image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    I'll never get in the club! I don't find chit!..image
  • Options
    NoGvmntNoGvmnt Posts: 1,126
    You've got to remember for each "YOU SUCK!!!" coin that Marty has found, he has had 100's maybe 1000's of misses (would these be "YOU BLOW" coins?).

If Marty kept track of his misses, or the cost of his misses to his "YOU SUCK" coins, I'd bet he is in the hole BIG TIME!

Marty, how about posting the complete list of submissions and the corresponding grades garnered for those thousands of coins?

Jim
  • Options
    It's not thousands of coins!! Most end up being break even coins, but when the proof sets cost so little it's real hard to screw it up real bad!

• Options
    Your Xtimes requires that the coin be bought for a song. I'd rather buy a coin for $100 and sell it for $1000 (900 profit but only 10X) than buy one for $3 and sell it for $90 (87 profit but 30X). The later obviously being the higher multiple. Not to be snobish but I just don't buy $10 coins anymore.

If Unc grades can have a number so can you suckers

US61
    US62
    US63
    US64

maybe even a US65DMPL

• Options

<< <i>Not to be snobish but I just don't buy $10 coins anymore. >>

Good, one less competitor!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji