Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Opinions on this PEI Cent

ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
I've always wanted to own one of these in high condition.

DPOTD-3
'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

Comments

• Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    The wipe/rub marks are distracting.
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    I've always wanted to own one of these in high condition.

2 or 3 daiquiri's, a six pack, some Jim Beam, several little somethings on the rocks will generally get you into a 'high condition'. image

Beautiful PEI, mine is a lowly VF.
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    Why RB? NGC is erring on the strict side lately "fearing" their guarantee.

Anyway, it's priced closer to a 65RD from what I've seen. I sold my NGC MS64RD for aboot $275 or so.

The swipes may not be as distracting in hand, as digipics tend to overemphasize these blemishes in my experience. I'd offer aboot $325.

Also, I think there are more of these than the pop reports show, and NGCs world pops are nowhere near up-to-date.

Send me a PM.
  • Options

<< <i>Why RB >>

NEN calls it 99% Red. I bet the coin looks better in person also.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice looking copper to me. I'd bet the marks are not that contrasting in hand.

I saw a 67RD ICCS at the CNA that made my mouth water, glossy bright red with no spots at all. I think the dealer was asking around $1200 Canadian for it. It was gone when I stopped by the next day.

Gene
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    Gene, wasn't there a sizable unc. hoard of these discovered in the not too recent past?
  • Options
    I like Susan's better. image
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • Options
    bosoxbosox Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭✭
    Don,

You probably already know all this, but since these were a one year type they were extensively hoarded. Many very high grade examples exist. For example, Heritage has one in their Long Beach auction: ICG MS-67 Red at an estimate of $1,750-$2,250 (plus 15% buyers fee). The catalog photo looks like PCGS might cross it at 66 or 67.

Rob
    Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • Options
    P.S. The fields look clean, the strike looks good. Not sure how much a TPG takes off for the marks. MS-64, maybe 65. Could go Red or RB depending on what it looks like in the hand.
    Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

• Options
    Decided to pass on the coin and buy a Stephen penny.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    Very nice coin. Besides that bit of toning / discolouration the surfaces are flawless. If I had to make the choice, I think I could live with that change of colour on the obverse.

Marcel
    Ebay user name: 00MadMuffin00
  • Options
    Another high grade one for sale.

PEI Cent Link

• Options
    Looks like a 65RD to me as well. I hope you find one that you like sometime, Ajaan, if you still want to buy one image

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks RB to me.

I like the coin but not the marks. Overall I would say I'm neutral on that one.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    The coin is graded MS65 RB by NGC. I myself, from the image, think the coin is Red.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Cameo2 coin:

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    As bosox said, there was a hoard of these found. The mintage is something like 2 million and they never circulated much. I have seen a couple MS67 examples, some even in ICCS holders. I saw on ICCS coin at the TOREX a couple years ago.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    CoulportCoulport Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭
    There seem to be two populations of these. Well used and a very small group in Red Unc.
    I've handled several and most are G to VF. I've only had two that were XF.
    The most money I made are on coins I haven't sold.

Got quoins?
  • Options

<< <i>Another high grade one for sale.

PEI Cent Link >>

I like the way this seller says "Is it worth it? You decide"

• Options
    I decided it wasn't worth it. The obverse looks great, but the dark area under the big tree doesn't. I'm still holding out for an nice even colored one... image
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    I'd love to get a high grade example of a PEI cent and of a Jamaican penny. I'm glad there are lots of high grade examples left because my coin budget isn't very big any more.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Gene, wasn't there a sizable unc. hoard of these discovered in the not too recent past? >>

Mac,
    Yes, quite true. Seems like every year or two some new "hoard" turns up. Most are brown or R/B. I've only seen about 20-25 pcs that are truly RED, mostly 64s. That ICCS 67 RED I saw in Toronto is by far the best I've seen in person. I've heard that there are 3 or 4 MS68 REDs out there.

What I haven't seen yet are full RED New Brunswick or Nova Scotia coppers. Anyone got a pic?

Gene
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    HCWA lot# 12736 at Long Beach. 1861 Nova Scotia One Cent PCGS MS-65 Red.