Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Egypt, Africa, Mexico Many Photos

Just trying to contributed to the forum. I haven’t posted in a long time. Feel free to post along with me.

Comments

• Options
    Great coins. I think Egyptian coins are very underappreciated.

Steve
  • Options
    LDA, nice pics! I especially like the '56 British Evacuation 50 piastres coin.
    Here's a Maltese Pound I got in the mail yesterday. The scan shows its imperfections but it looks P/L firsthand:
    imageimage
    Temi Zammit
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • Options
    Thank you for joining in and the great comments coinrookie & tbirde56. I really like your coin
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    Some neat designs. Coins from Arabic-speaking countries are underappreciated simply because so few understand their script and that puts them off.
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Very nice to see coins we don't see every day.image

I love the quality of your coins and your imaging is right on-thanks for taking the time to post.image
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    Askari I think your right. laurentyvan thank you so much. You always encourage me.

• Options
    oldshepoldshep Posts: 3,240
    LDA...welcome back to posting your coins - I like those Egyptian coins also - there are a lot of countries in Africa with great coins under appreciated, thanks for posting some.
    Shep
  • Options
    phutphut Posts: 1,087
    Wow nice coins. What is the last one in the flip?It's a beauty.
  • Options
    oldshep it's good to be back and hear from youimage
    phut the one in the flip is Aztec Gold Token, Cuauhtemoc and Calendar
    This little 22K gold token shows Cuauhtemoc on the obverse and the Aztec Calendar on the reverse. Cuauhtemoc was the last emperor of the Aztecs who took the throne in 1520 and was hung by the Spaniards in 1525. And it's really small.

The other gold coin is
    A 1955 Mexican 5 Peso Gold Coin. .1205 ounces of .900 fine gold. Total weight is 4.1666 Grams.

I thought a share a few more items I've picked up. None coins, but unique. The 2 swords from china paid a little over $100 for them. I have no idea on the age or history. Plus the German dagger is under debate. I didn't take these photos. Just using the photos they had up when I bidded. Plus they may not be in proper order.

Since a messed up the first post I'm just going to put the Roman coins up I cleaned here as well!

Sorry I haven’t posted any photos in a while. I figured I drag out the camera and shoot away.
    I can’t tell you much about the Roman coins since I’m new to cleaning dirty ancient coins. Just cleaning hasn’t given me much time to research them. Plus I’m working on cleaning without stripping the patina from the coins. So I really don’t have a good method for it yet. But I’m working on it. Your welcome to show off your coins in my thread.

One Of My Favorites. Can't make out the back. Think I should clean it more, but affraid I will ruin the coin. So I leave it as it is. I enjoy the front portrait.

Delmatius, Ceasar - Delmatius was Ceasar under "Constantine The Great, but was excuted during the slaughter of heirs following Constatines's death (FRONT)

Delmatius, Ceasar - Back

• Options
    Cool coins and sword.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    Are you sure the sword is really Chinese?

It appears that whole thing was die-cast. Is that common? I have no idea about these things, actually.
  • Options
    All of these coins and stuff are interesting.

The swords are Chinese, and cast hilts and guards are typical.
    The real trick is determining whether it's a contemporary fake or a real antique.
    Currently it seems that anything that isn't part of a archeological dig and in a museum would be a fake made in China.

The dagger has me very suspicious, if it was a real antique you would think it would use German instead of English for the "Made in Germany" part, wouldn't you?
    So it could be a more modern export model for the USA.

• Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    Very nice coins and Dagger,,, I will add this and let people guess what it isimageimage
  • Options
    Yes the German dagger is a debate with in my home. We are not experts on German dagger. Though we do collect knives, well my partner does. I'm going to guess on theboz11
    since it's all about LEARNING AND MAKING IT FUN HERE. I'm guessing a some type of Tibetan Buddist Ritual Dagger. What is it it's very nice and interesting.
  • Options
    My first thought was like "theboz11" said.

Hummm. . . a Souvineer Ivory Letter Opener?
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    Tibetan Buddist Ritual,,,, That part is correct,,, But not a Dagger, or letter opener... It is for the making of holy water. The stirrer is held by what appears to be the blade. Notice the dark area where it has been held. It is 110 mm in length made of (bronze, I think). This is the holy water crucible, adorned with Buddhas.
  • Options
    theboz11 Do I get 3 points for being close with the Tibetan Buddist Ritual . That was fun and interesting. Anyone Else Has something to pull out and we can guess what it is. I know this is a coin forum. But I'm sure many of us have collected other item having nothing to do with coins from around the world.
  • Options
    Cool, that is most interesting.
    Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing, LDA. I especially like your little Aztec gold piece.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    Neat items LovelyDarkAngel ! What do you do with all these swords? image

Dan, I didn't know you had such interest for Tibetan Buddhists' stuff. Very nice.

D
    Dimitri

DPOTD-1
  • Options
    Hmmm, the pics have been replaced by red-x's, but from what I remember of the "German" dagger, I didn't think it was an original German product. It looked like a cheap modern imitation of a Nazi dagger without the swastika. "Made in Germany" is odd enough not being in German, but it's too large for such an item. There should be hallmarks of the actual manufacturer of the steel. Do you see any?
    Askari

• Options
    I'm very sorry about the red X notice them this morning. I was cleaning my computer and server to my site yesterday. I either forgot to put them over to the server or deleted them by accident. When I get to my home computer later today I will get them back up. I still have them on disk thank God.
  • Options
    syraq I just look at the sword like I do many items I collect. Family says I need to sale some of the stuff I got. image

Askari I'm with you it was made after the war. Theres no Hallmark other then what you see in the photos.
  • Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    Great coins (and pics!), this design really caught my eye.
  • Options
    Thank you shylock. the hand and sun burst had me
  • Options
    Now that the pic is back up, I feel even more sure that it's a modern knockoff. "Made in Germany" is carved rather crudely into the blade and it's too large; moreover, the "Made in" part is so far up the tang that it lies under the hilt. "PIC" means nothing to me, but then I'm no expert. The blade looks more like it was cast than forged. There's no sign of tempering and if you look at the close up pic of the "Made in Germany / PIC" markings, you can see file marks running length-wise and across the blade. The hilt also looks to be a very crude casting.
    Askari

• Options
    Askari you are right. Things don't look right.