Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Ancient Roman Coins

Sorry I haven’t posted any photos in a while. I figured I drag out the camera and shoot away.
I can’t tell you much about the Roman coins since I’m new to cleaning dirty ancient coins. Just cleaning hasn’t given me much time to research them. Plus I’m working on cleaning without stripping the patina from the coins. So I really don’t have a good method for it yet. But I’m working on it. Your welcome to show off your coins in my thread.

One Of My Favorites. Can't make out the back. Think I should clean it more, but affraid I will ruin the coin. So I leave it as it is. I enjoy the front portrait.

Delmatius, Ceasar - Delmatius was Ceasar under "Constantine The Great, but was excuted during the slaughter of heirs following Constatines's death (FRONT)

Delmatius, Ceasar - Back

Comments

• Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    It's nice having varied coin interests, isn't it? You'll have to tell us of your coin cleaning experiences-looks like you're learning well.image
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    You're doing great!! What cleaning method are you using?
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    I've tried them all I think. Electricity w/ lemon juice and a little salt. Suppose to be faster but it's not. Now I've gone back to soaking in Pure olive oil and the really tuff ones WD40. Plus a light touch with a dremel drill to brush the crust and grim off. I have to wear a mask becuase you would be amazed how much dust comes of before you even get to the coins patina. Then soak some more in Olive Oil. I know some hate the Dremel, But I don't have a year for a coin to just soak in Olive Oil. But it takes a very light touch with the dremel. Or you will hit metal. And I have done that a few times. But I like the Green patina, better then a stripped coin. I just don't know a lot about ancient coins. But I'd rather spend $1.25 on a coin and have fun trying to see what the coin is. I just think of it as a scratch off ticket for the lottery. When I get tired of cleaning. That keeps me motivated. What have I won. I even piked up a gold coin in cleaning. But I really believe it is an Indian Fanam. If anyone has any pointers on cleaning coins please share. Or if you are a collector and can identify my coins would be a big help.